Peter Gabriel wants to get it done in 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Gabriel Seeks Audio Upgrade
    Rock icon Peter Gabriel has declared that if he has his way, he will record in only 5.1 surround sound from now on. He made the comments yesterday (Oct. 14) in London while promoting the Nov. 3 international release of the best-of set "HIT" and the "Growing Up Live" DVD. As previously reported, both items arrive the following day in North America.
    Gabriel said the conventional stereo format has simply become dissatisfying. "I will consider using 5.1 only in the future," he revealed. "Working in 5.1, including on film scores, is a new discovery [for me]. It influences how you can use that capacity to shift sound; you can get bolder moving sounds around the place." He added: "I tend to use a lot of elements in my arrangements and often there isn't enough space on stereo."

Recalling the days when he was a pioneer of multimedia CD-ROM recordings, such as "Xplora 1" and "EVE," Gabriel said the creative potential is greater on the DVD platform. He also predicted high-definition television (HDTV) will become a viable medium for composers.

"You're not in a live environment; you're in people's homes," he said. "So if you want people to listen to something more than once, my view is that you make it sound as good as you can."

Gabriel recently licensed his song "Burn You Up, Burn You Down" for "Uru: Ages Beyond Myst," the upcoming installment in the popular "Myst" video game series.

2. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Oh, cool! I can't wait to see what he does with it.

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Considering it takes Peter forever to release new material, we may have to wait quite a long time.

I can see him releasing a movie soundtrack in 5.1 way before he releases a new "rock" album of material similiar to "Up", etc.

4. bartels76

By the time Gabriel releases another studio album we'll have like 8.1 or something crazy like that.

5. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Hey Pete, how about a 5.1 SACD or DVD-A of 'HIT'?

6. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Interesting, for a pioneer of integrating music and visuals that some of his most important video titles, PoV (1986 tour live) and C/V (video compilation through So) are OOP. I wonder if he'd ever do a DVD video compilation in 5.1?

7. bartels76

Great point. It would go nicely with this new HIT comp.

8. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

Probably until there is a whole new audio format standard, and noboby listens to 5.1 anymore... :laugh:

Peace and happy listening anyway!
    Thomas

9. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I may get flack for this but so be it:)
    The only Gabriel I really adore is his last Genesis album (lamb lies down) and his first solo album. Now -those- I'd like to see in 5.1!

10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Love the title of the thread!:D

Sounds good to me!

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

OK.

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Geoff

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

13. bartels76

I did it in tribute to you!

14. bartels76

That may be the funniest thing ever on this board!

15. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Well, it's certainly more tasteful than the possible visual effects of the phrase "thread crap". :D

I hope if PG DOES go to 5.1 surround, he still remembers those of us who still listen in 2-channel. I'd still like to hear whatever he creates in surround, but a lot of my listening isn't even between two speakers anymore.

16. Ere

Ere Senior Member

The Lamb is being remixed in surround for SACD and DVD-A by Genesis house engineer Nick Davis as we speak. Here is a long thread about it from the official Genesis forum.

17. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Ack, the stereo version of 'Lamb' is going to be remixed. That frightens me.

i make the stereo mix based after the surround mix but based on it.

Of course, I'm also worried about possible compression.

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

:thumbsup: Thanks

I hope Nick Davis went nowhere near the Pet Sounds 5.1 mix......let's hope he has a more realistic approach. I don't wanna have to turn my rears down again!

19. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I read that Gabriel stated everything after his second album would be a good canidate for 5.1

20. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Reading through Davis's replies to queries there about remastering he seems to go back and forth between respecting the integrity of the original mastering and using all the latest 'tricks' to 'improve' it for today's listeners.

What's the take on his work?

21. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

That was an interesting read at the Genesis site. :) I have never bought Lamb on CD, so now I'm glad I've waited. Especially for SACD. :D Imagine what could be done with Trick Of The Tail!

I have no idea what multitracks exist for PG's first album, but I think it would be a fine candidate for 5.1 as well, even if it were to "unmuddy" the mix a little. Not that the stereo mix is bad, but I think 5.1 would help bring out some of the buried parts and give the mix some space.

22. Ere

Ere Senior Member

'Moribund the Burgermeister' and 'Down the Dolce Vita' could be pretty cool in surround....
    ....didn't his whole catalogue get redone on SACD with the latest remasters? or was that not in surround?

(I don't have SACD capability yet, much less than a receiver that could manage it, so I've not paid much attention yet.)

23. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Yes but
    Stereo only except for Up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.