Peter, Paul & Mary on Warner Bros., first album from 1962 coming on SACD from Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Mastering this first Peter, Paul and Mary album in DSD on Tuesday from the pure original tapes from Sound Makers, Inc., NYC. The artwork is in the works, everything on schedule but when dealing with artists, one never knows.

Great looking trio, instant hit. They were going to be signed with Atlantic but WB got them first by agreeing to a killer deal with their manager Albert Grossman.

Peter, Paul and Mary.jpg

goodiesguy, bluemooze, Kkfan and 6 others like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Striking trio, weren't they? peter-paul-and-mary-travers-2.jpg PeterPaulMary5.jpg

3. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

4. Steve Hoffman

Beautiful in black & white as well..
    Peterpaumary monochrome two.jpg Peter, Paul mary monochrome.jpg Peterpaulmary monochrome three.png

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

6. Chevelleman

Chevelleman Well-Known Member

Certainly were striking! I can remember as a kid listening to FM radio on my parents Magnavox console stereo and when "Leaving on a jet plane" would play the bass would make the lattace work covering the front of the speakers buzz like crazy! Always thought that "I dig rock & roll" was a Mamma's and Papa's song too!

kevinsinnott likes this.
  7. guyanthonybrown

guyanthonybrown Forum Resident

And while we're on the subject of PPM may I draw your collective attention to Live in Japan, a 1967 Japan only release, that Rhino expanded to a double CD in 2012. Its been played a lot this summer at our house and is strikingly good. Mary's voice has a expanded maturity when attempting the older songs and the overall sound and recording are excellent.

8. henryjg

henryjg Forum Resident

Related questions: The 2005 compilation The Very Best of Peter Paul and Mary has the "single version" of "If I Had a Hammer," but it's in stereo. Would the stereo version have been on a 45 rpm single at that time? Did the stereo single version appear on vinyl? And has the mono single version appeared on CD?

9. Steve Hoffman

CaptainOzone likes this.
  10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The sound on the Warner Brothers CDs is fabulous. It's my understanding that these have never been remastered so what you buy today is the same as it was in 1985 or so. I'm not totally sure - and I have old originals. Boy, listen to "Peter, Paul and Mary" WB 1449-2 US and it's just beautiful.

11. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I have that CD, the original WB 45 is much faster than what is on that CD (at least the 2005 version, unless it's been updated since then) (1:58 vs. 2:10), not sure it is the same mix. I think it's odd to have the voices mixed like that, I think I would rather have more of a blend of voices rather than each voice coming from a separate speaker, very hard to listen with headphones lol. Were the original stereo mixes like that too?

12. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

The trouble with the CD versions of the debut album and "Moving" is that they were remixed with the participation of Peter Yarrow in the 80s and a heavy amount of digital reverb was added that wasn't present on the original mixes. In addition, a couple of tracks on the CD version of the debut album, "Cruel War" and "This Train", sound so different that I would swear they were different takes...compare the guitar fills on the intro to "This Train" for example.

The 60s PP&M albums were reissued on CD recently in Japan using the original stereo mixes.

SGC and kevinsinnott like this.
  13. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

My Back to Back Hits 45 is in mono. I don't have it handy, but I'm pretty sure that the mono mix of "Lemon Tree" is on the other side. It's interesting to compare the mono 45 of "Lemon Tree" with the mono LP mastering...the 45 has a lot of compression compared to the LP, I guess to make it sound more "exciting" for AM radio. Kind of an odd treatment for a gentle folk song, but I suppose they were trying for a radio hit.

With regard to "If I Had A Hammer", the LP version sounds like a limp dishrag after you have heard the 45 version. The 45 version is much closer to the way it was performed in concert with its much faster tempo.

14. Steve Hoffman

No it doesn't. Come on. The LP version sounds more like the original 1949 version. It's more heartfelt, less frenzied, more in the style of the rest of the songs on the album, has beautiful sound and was the version that introduced Peter, Paul and Mary to the world. Besides, the 45 remake gives my wife a headache. Also, the group absolutely hated the faster version with a passion. I asked. :^)

15. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Wow... I never realized there were 2 versions; I just knew what was on my Dad's "Ten Years Together" LP.

Doing some Youtubing, I see that in addition to the speed difference, the guitar is generally bouncier on the single version and the whole thing feels more energetic. Album version just feels gentler, which is sort of the vibe I always got from them.

Stereo remix of the single version

16. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

LP version

17. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Steve, since the album version came first, then the single version... and they hated the single version... do you know why the single was cut like that?

18. Steve Hoffman

This is the version we are going to use at AF on the SACD of the first album, minus ALL OF THE DREADFUL DIGITAL REVERB ADDED IN 1990 you hear on this.

vonwegen, Vidiot, RTurner and 4 others like this.
  19. Steve Hoffman

Their manager made them recut it "for the teenagers".

20. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

My go to version:

21. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

22. Steve Hoffman

Photogenic trio!

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  23. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I like the photo of them in California, by the pool. Is that Sausalito or the Hollywood hills?

24. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Woah! This album was HUGE! Put me down - my money's on the table!

25. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

They sure are--those photos just pop. Lot of groups were uniquely photogenic like that--for some reason I don't see so much of that these days...could be I'm a codger (nah), but I think it may have more to do with 'musician images' hardening into Archetypes/Stereotypes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.