Peter Skellern - Complete Decca Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RMoore, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident Thread Starter

A new Kickstarter campaign - Fully supported by the Skellern family.

Plan is to issue all three original albums, plus non album singles and tracks issued on compilations

Not only that but the rare "March Hare" single and a song written by Peter for singer Lois Laine

Remastered from brand new transfers of the original master tapes.

Remastering by Richard Moore (acclaimed mastering of Matt Monro catalogue etc). No noise reduction or limiting!

Peter Skellern - Complete Decca Recordings (Limited CD Set)

J Madden and Colin M like this.
  2. VincentPaulJoned

VincentPaulJoned New Member

Peter Skellern's back catalogue has been criminally ignored by the various labels that he recorded for. Just a handful of compilations have been on general release...some of them really cheap looking. At last a respectful proposed reissue. Hopefully the 'Kickstarter' campaign gains enough publicity, support and backers to make this possible.

3. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

While we're at it, how about a first ever CD appearance for the excellent Hard Times album featuring none other than George Harrison.

4. RMoore

Lets not run before we can walk! - The rights situation with the "Pendulum" years is tricky, but providing this works it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

5. Harry Hotspur

Hey, that's great news. Just knew there must be a rights situation delaying release of Hard Times, which is such a strong album it doesn't otherwise make sense that it's not been issued on CD. Would also love to hear Now That I Need You on CD which I heard only the other day when watching the very funny Nuts In May on iplayer. In one scene it comes on the radio, playing immediately after Wings' Magneto And Titanium Man. Ah, those were the days. All power to those behind the Peter Skellern project. He was a terrific talent.

6. RMoore

7. brianj17

brianj17 Well-Known Member

That’s great news! So glad that you are trying again and will undoubtedly succeed this time.

8. RMoore

Fingers and toes crossed. If this works I hope we can move on to other parts of his catalogue - if the rights holders can be tracked down!

Richard

9. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Wife & I saw an episode of Pointless the other night. Richard Stilgoe was one of the contestants and he mentioned that his old friend Peter Skellern was often mistaken for Peter Sarstedt. Made me smile.

10. RMoore

Richard used that in their double act. He used to introduce Peter saying he was going to sing his greatest hit "Where Do You Go To My Lovely?"

11. RMoore

oxenholme likes this.
  12. Harry Hotspur

Fantastic. My order's in.

13. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Richard sent me a short mp3 clip of one of the songs - the sound quality is superb even as mp3.

My order's in too.

14. RMoore

15. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Any artist who was off the radar before the advent of CD was badly represented on CD.
    You needed to have a buzz around you in 1982-83 to be reissued.
    People like Al Stewart, Marc Bolan, Suzi Quatro, Slade, in fact most of the glam rockers were forgotten by the record industry when CDs first came in.

16. Harry Hotspur

Longing for a CD release of Hard Times at some point.

17. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

@RMoore third clip address is the same as the second!

18. RMoore

19. RMoore

It's got rights problems at the moment, but i'm working on it!

20. Harry Hotspur

Good man. Best of luck

21. Linky53

Linky53 Forum Resident

Ordered. Looking forward to this one. Well done Richard for keeping the faith and making this happen. Hopefully you can move on to the rest of the catalogue.

RMoore likes this.
  22. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Spinning this set as I type.

It's superb!

Music is great, recording quality is excellent, and Richard has done a magnificent job.

Very highly recommended.

RMoore likes this.
  23. Harry Hotspur

Mine arrived this morning. Looking forward to playing it. Nice, touching words from Peter's daughter too.

RMoore likes this.
  24. Fishman2

Fishman2 Forum Resident

Didn't know about this, but saw the review in the new edition of Record Collector, ordered it the same day from the label and it arrived the following morning! Great service, and a great CD set as well.

oxenholme likes this.
  25. RMoore

Glad to be of service!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.