Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

1. DPM

DPM Forum Resident

I have both tables. I didn't A/B them, but I didn't have to. As soon as I heard the first few minutes of music coming from the SL-1200G there were some differences/improvements that were apparent. I gave my impressions back on page 94 (two different posts) of this thread. The hours I've spent listening since those postings have only reinforced my early observations.

Shawn, MikeJedi, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  2. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

The treble sounds perfectly fine to me and I'm hearing zero resonance in the tonearm. Been enjoying some BFRSD pick ups since the weekend and I'm not sure I could ever go back to a belt-drive.

recstar24, DPM and AArchie like this.
  3. AArchie

AArchie Well-Known Member

I've made two tweaks to my 1200G. In reference to the "300 Hz tonearm ring" I took a hint from KAB's tonearm rubber liner and put something similar on the outside of my tonearm. I put it outside since I would have had to pull the tonearm wire otherwise. I used latex tubing that is 3/8" ID and 1/16" thick. It weighs about 3 1/4 grams and seems to effectively deaden any arm vibration. It's a cleaner look than the black silicone tape that I tried although the "flesh tone" color is a bit weird.

The second tweak is that I applied a ring of 1 mm thick cork to the outer edge of my platter, under the rubber mat. The idea of this is that when I push down and clamp my Rega Michell record clamp it tends to ensure contact between the lp and mat. Some lps are slightly convex and with them convex up on the platter, they don't make good contact and hence might not damp vibration effectively. By raising the outer platter edge, the lp is forced into a slight convex up configuration and hopefully gives good mat contact.

I am getting better detail out of my G compared to my KAB modded MK2, with or without these tweaks.

recstar24 and displayname like this.
  4. recstar24

recstar24 Forum Resident

The 1200gr is my 2nd table, my precious and first foray was a uturn. At minimum I could never return to a belt that requires you to manually pull the belt off to change speeds. My 45 purchases shot up dramatically with the technics :) enjoying BFRSD myself and the table tonearm motor suspension whatever it all just works and sounds so good together.

wgb113, displayname and MikeJedi like this.
  5. Tiger-Eyes

Tiger-Eyes New Member

You guys are really taking this too far. My main compliant, if it was really any. Was that Technics changed the diameter of the spindle. The orignal had a slightly thicker spindle. So all your records would become accustomed to this girth making the plastc center-hole a bit larger. Now if you bought a new SL-1200 around the turn of the century. Suddenly your records would sit slightly loose on your table. A bit annoying if you were a 'scratcher'. 300Hz hum from tonearm? Never noticed such a thing fom any MK2.

6. AArchie

7. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

That's where I picked up mine. Robert is very nice to deal with and shipping was extremely fast.

recstar24, bluemooze and MikeJedi like this.
  8. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

is there a difference between the sl1200GR and the 1210GR other than the colors? if anyone knows? thanks :)

9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I’ve read that the 1210 won’t be made available in the US. I don’t think there are any differences between the products other than the color.

MikeJedi and recstar24 like this.
  10. recstar24

recstar24 Forum Resident

Same dealer that I got mine. I concur, Robert was awesome to deal with.

MadCajun likes this.
  11. JCOehler

JCOehler Forum Resident

Galen Carol also has the G & GR in stock, is a great guy to work with and offers free shipping plus a cash discount.

Galen Carol Audio

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

everyone keeps saying the tonearm is not so good. what exactly is wrong with the tonearm and what effect does it have on the sound?

Robert C and displayname like this.
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Forum Resident

Won't hear that from me. The tonearm on my GR is silky smooth, no chatter whatsoever, and has tracked everything I've thrown at it perfectly, nicely mated to an ortofon 2m blue.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  14. AArchie

The G tonearm? I don't think anyone is saying it's not good. There seem to be some resonances identified in it. However, I don't believe any mechanical device can be free from some resonance. Depending on how severe and what frequency(s) it may cause sound coloration. Damping is a possible mitigation solution.

There is also talk about the internal tonearm wiring being tin-plated copper. I think only KAB has said this is bad.

Reviews have been consistently good. I don't have a complaint with my G. The bearings seem much better than the MK2 -- which were excellent.

15. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

No one is hearing these tonearm resonances. They read it, it becomes a problem to fix, they fix it and all is well again. My synopsis of this phenomenon.

16. AArchie

Well, not while playing music but while testing ... WOW! I'm a believer that anything that can be fixed ought to be once a certain level of equipment is reached. It's hard so say when various "inaudible" issues add up and become sound coloration.

displayname likes this.
  17. I’ve not identified any audible resonance issues testing with the Ultimate AP test record. I really appreciate how easy it is to swap cartridges and make adjustments to the tonearm.

FashionBoy likes this.
  18. recstar24

recstar24 Forum Resident

Fluid damper for GR almost ready! From KAB twitter:

Production has begun on the fluid damper for the new 1200's. Called the KAB TD-1000. Parts should be available soon.

[​IMG]

displayname, snorker and AArchie like this.
  19. AArchie

This is good news. I liked the way my MK2 tracked warps with the fluid damping and I'm looking forward to putting it on my G.

recstar24 likes this.
  20. Davey

Davey very clever with maracas

Just curious since I've never had a table with a damping trough before, but doesn't a lot of dust and gunk get in there over time? Do you regularly clean it out and replace the oil? I guess most 1200 users probably keep the dustcover down most of the time, so maybe not much of an issue. Does it change the sound much when playing a record that isn't warped?

bluemooze likes this.
  21. AArchie

I didn't have much of an issue after 10 years but I did keep my cover down most of the time.

22. recstar24

recstar24 Forum Resident

I don't have any experience with a damped tonearm but I do plan on getting it as the one for the original 1200 was for a very reasonable price, user impressions all seemed very positive, and I think it looks pretty badass. I couldn't even tell you what the benefits are lol.

23. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I have owned a new SL1200G for a few days, very impressed but so far can't think of a reason why I might need a damper - maybe I will find one as time goes on?!

24. recstar24

recstar24 Forum Resident

If I had a G with the nicer magnesium tonearm I probably wouldn't bother. To the best of my knowledge the new damper was fitted to a GR tonearm that Kevin had procured, and with it being an aluminum based tonearm, I'd bet it benefits more so from the fluid damper than the better damped and less resonant G magnesium arm.

25. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I have been using a 2M Black/Blue, an AT150ANV/MLX/SA and Audio Note IQ3/2 (3 headshells) with the SL1200G & can't find fault yet.

Quite different from using all these carts/styli on my Rega RP-8/10 clone with an Audiomods V arm. Significantly tighter bass notes, crystal clear imaging and soundstage. In fact the Rega sounds slightly 'woolier', a bit less defined by comparison and with something like a piano sustain, I had recently noticed tiny pitch variations with the belt driven TT (small degrees though, everything is aligned as Baerwald via a Feickert protractor).

I'm glad I have turntables with two very nice but significantly different sound signatures. One of these cartridges will stay permanently on the Rega, probably the IQ3. I suspect the Technics will be used for the most 'serious' listening - it is certainly the most exciting and 'being there live' sound.

FashionBoy, DPM and Tonmeister like this.