Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I'm a fan of the Cadenza Blue as well. I use a Kontrapunkt b (the CB predecessor, I think) and a Jubilee too. I haven't found a bad combination on my 1200G (or 1200Mk2, for that matter).

I don't worry about the calcs anymore with Ortofon and 1200 TTs. Also, if you use a test LP, the actual frequency will likely be different than the calculation.

recstar24 and avanti1960 like this.
  2. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Shawn and bluemooze like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

never tried a test LP. is it really obvious what the resonant frequency is?

I do go by calculations before I buy a new cartridge and have found that the cartridges closer to the 10Hz target tend to sound the best. Except for Japanese carts- which have different ways of specifying compliance. They can still sound quite amazing though.

4. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

The test LP I have runs through various frequencies and the resonant one vibrates the arm like crazy. I had a PL-10 TT years ago that had an issue with footfalls. My 1200s have never had any issues. I think it has a lot to do with their good vibration isolating design but I also put the whole TT on an additional isolation platform. (Or good cart/arm combinations?) My understanding is that good cart/arm compatibility is mostly to keep things out of both the audible frequency and footfall frequency. Good isolation helps with both and would seem to reduce the need to get overly concerned with exactly where a cart/arm combination falls. My opinion, anyway.

avanti1960 and punkmusick like this.
  5. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I have a test lp. Haven't used all the features yet but have used most.

6. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Went this morning to the shop, determined to buy the GR. Out of stock, only the demo for sale ($1.950), new stock should arrive in 1-2 months at $2.280.
    Does that price sounds reasonable?

displayname likes this.
  7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I don't know about prices in Chile. I do know that you have a better tax policy that other South American countries. In Brazil, we can always expect things to be 50-100% more expensive. A Planar 3 with Elys 2 is $1.145 but is sold here for $2000. A GR for $2.280 in Brazil would be very reasonable, actually very cheap, would never happen. A demo for $1950 would be a bargain here. I'd buy it immediately if in perfect shape.

8. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Guess where the other two clients at the store came from, we were 3 guys waiting for the store to open.

punkmusick likes this.
  9. punkmusick

They will have to pay 50% in customs taxes to bring it legally to Brazil.

10. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

If you can wait. Demo not a bad deal

11. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

bummer

12. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

That's quite a bit more than 6 months ago when I bought my G. I thought more like $1700, if I'm remembering correctly. I don't have anyone local so I called or emailed every seller on the distributor list for 1200G/GRs looking for in stock and the best deal.

Edit: I didn't notice that the poster was in Chile. I really have no idea then.

displayname likes this.
  13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

look at the retail prices for online dealers or dealers in your country. then offer 80% for the demo. you are making an extremely smart vinyl playback decision and are going to love it!. as they say in the US, its damn near perfrct.

displayname likes this.
  14. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Why not buy the demo? If it's lightly used & looks cosmetically new then no reason to pay more & wait.

The older 1200/1210s have a reputation for longevity & maintenance free & I'm confident the new models will do likewise.

punkmusick likes this.
  15. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

I probably wouldn't buy a demo for only 15% off, and I'd hope to get a bit off retail too for a major brand like Technics, but I guess supply is low so if you really want one, might have to pay close to full price. Maybe ask for a deal on a cartridge, or some concession. They retail for $1700 in the US.

16. Davey

Pretty easy to test the resonance if you can record the output of your phono to your computer. We were just talking about various methods in another thread, and they don't all require a test record.

17. punkmusick

Could you please link us to that thread?

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Davey

I usually just use my old Shure test record and my current setup with Clearaudio Satisfy Carbon Fibre and Benz Micro Wood SL comes in at right about 10Hz, but here's some other ways to check ... Help me w arm/cart resonance please?

punkmusick likes this.
  19. Rob_1

Rob_1 Well-Known Member

Even the demo TT you saw in Chile is more expensive than a brand new in the US. I pay @1800 for mine that's with taxes included. Supply is limited for most dealer. I had to wait almost two months before the dealer could get his allotted TTs.

20. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Has anyone experimented with different mats? I'd love to try the Auditorium 23 Hommage Mat, but they are 12" in diameter and would be too big for the 1200G platter.

On another note, does anyone have any idea what the Hommage Mat is made out of? It seems like a felt coated pvc or delrin, but can't tell for sure.

21. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

My 1200G has an Achromat which gives a noticeably faster, more open sound than the Technics rubber mat (a thicker sound, still extremely pleasant so different, not necessarily inferior).

I really like the Achromat on this table & I suspect a Herbies may be subtly different again given the similarity in base material. As an experiment later this year I'm going to pull a 1.5mm silicone mat from a TT I have in the USA & put it on top to roughly replicate the Herbies (just to satisfy my curiosity).

I also briefly tried the following when I got the G:

Soundeck damped steel mat on top of the felt original (or the Achromat) which works very well on a Rega RP10. The sound was not to my liking on the Technics.

A cork spotmat previously used on another table but the air gap below vinyl gave a strange, almost hollow quality to mid bass on the G. Flat cork would probably be different again but I'd rather just enjoy listening to what I've got.

(In each case VTA was adjusted to be identical).

displayname and punkmusick like this.
  22. Davey

Not that there's anything wrong with a little experimenting, doesn't have to mean the onslaught of OCD. Just kidding around :)

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    displayname, PhilBiker and Drewan77 like this.
  23. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Yes you are right !

I couldn't resist trying all these mats in the first couple of days & settled on the Achromat which I've happily used since. I will no longer futz around with structural mods though.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    punkmusick likes this.
  24. Davey

Is that the one Fremer really liked in his review? I know he said some mat made a pretty big difference.

25. punkmusick

Yes it was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.