Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The GR was my first real turntable, before that a uturn orbit which basically comes preinstalled. For an actual newb like me with shaky hands the cartridge install and alignment using the stock technics gauge tool was idiot proof I assure you lol. I never was interested in other fancy alignments and figured technics and their Japanese craftsman know more about that stuff then I do so just followed the directions using the supplier gauge and knocked it out of the park in less than 15 minutes.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Thanks. So what does it come with in terms of instructions and gauges etc? Is it just a printed protractor?

3. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

It only comes with the Technics overhang alignment tool. Print out the free protractor from Vinyl Engine and you should have success. Watch some You Tube videos for hands-on stuff. Really easy.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  4. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

If you're getting a really outstanding deal on the 1200 G, I think it's worth paying the money to have them do it. If you're getting a fairly average price, I honestly think they should be offering to do it as part of the sale. Just my personal opinion though.

MadCajun, rtrt and mkane like this.
  5. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

sitting here wondering just what is an outstanding deal? $500 off, 10% under list?

displayname likes this.
  6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That sounds like an awful lot of money, an hourly rate of over £100, nice work if you can get it, he's selling you a reasonably expensive deck, the least he could do is fit your cartridge, even if you didn't buy it from him, or perhaps charge you a fairer rate for the job.

The obvious suggestion though is to just use your existing headshell from the Jelco assuming the cart is properly fitted.

displayname likes this.
  7. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

The Jelco arm and Technics arm have different geometries, so you couldn't just swap the headshell and expect it to be aligned.

displayname likes this.
  8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Definitely a case of arm / cartridge matching. We'd like to think it falls within the realm of system resonance - compliance vs. system effective mass falling into the "10 Hz" range.
    Do you know if this is the case where the poorest sounding combination is more out of the theoretical 10Hz system resonance frequency than the other?

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yeah, but loosening two screws and re-aligning for the Technics arm is a lot simpler than switching headshells especially if the OP is having trouble getting the cartridge tags off.

10. Erocka2000

Oh, I thought he didn’t want to have to align it at all.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

He probably doesn't, but it's a skill all record deck owners should have and a lot better than paying someone £50 for the privilege.:righton:

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Just a case of just loosening the screws and making a minor adjustment using an alignment protractor. Actually the Jelco headshell is superior to that provided with the Technics.

13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I suggest you buy one of these (Polaris).

AnalogueWorks Turntable Alignment Gauge

14. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Money questions are so personal. The new 1200s seem fairly price fixed when new, so $500 off wouldn't be bad, and in this specific case would certainly make up for the difference to get the cart aligned. They'd still be below retail price.

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

displayname likes this.
  16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

In the UK £300 off seems to be common for the G, based on dealers offering the GR with £400 or even more off I suspect you could push a dealer to offer £500+ off the G, so under £2500 would be what I'd call a good deal, without knowing the dealer margin I'm not sure how far below that you could push it, but catch a dealer at the right time and I'd expect you could maybe get it below £2300, especially if it's an open box or similar.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    displayname likes this.
  17. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I can't comment on whether the Jelco is superior to the Technics HS but the Technics is set up for the 1200G/GR tables. It might not be worth throwing off the height adjustment ring calibration which changing HSs will most likely do.

snorker likes this.
  18. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

It's a pretty easy thing to mount and adjust the carts on these HSs using the included alignment gage. Just keep the stylus guard on as much as possible to avoid damage. I find attaching wires to be the biggest challenge since the female connectors seem to be always too tight. I pry them open a bit with an awl and use needle nose pliers to push them on the pins. Once you've done it once, it will never seem worth paying someone else to do it for you.

I keep several carts mounted on different HSs so I can swap carts easily just my changing the HS.

Wngnt90 likes this.
  19. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Well I've gone and done it. Put a deposit down on the G. Bit of a wait though - possibly here by mid August. All dealers have told me they are in very high demand.

Drewan77, Robert C, Dubmart and 2 others like this.
  20. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Damn, beat me to it. I'm waiting on $$$$$$ to arrive.

21. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Interesting. I wonder whether having the KAB fluid damper on the stock arm would’ve changed that result with the Koetsu.

22. Erocka2000

I doubt it would have had enough of an impact to totally transform the sound. I've always read that Koetsus like arms with stainless steel arm tubes the best. Probably why it works better with the Jelco.

snorker likes this.
  23. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

Just thought I’d share my findings on my favourite thread: Found a perfect mat for my Sl1200G, for anyone interested it’s German made by Pathe-Wings.
    It’s cork based with a felt upper surface, quite thick, as I have to raise arm to 2mm but I adore the extra bass, detail and quietness it brings to an already great sound. Highly recommended and was inexpensive too.
    It’s also managed to eliminate the slight ‘glare’ I have read that some reviews reference and indeed Timestep allude to curing with their bolt-on power supply. Now I’m pretty sure I was imagining this ‘glare’ subconsciously as I am partial to the powers of suggestion in a review but I’m also now imagining it’s dissappeared!!! Lol....who knows?

AArchie likes this.
  24. Erocka2000

Did you ever wind up trying the Herbie’s mat?

displayname likes this.
  25. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Yes. I got the 3mm. It's too nice outside to test turntable mats, so I have played only a few records on it. Still, both my wife and I like it a lot already. It manages to make the sound smoother without losing any punch. The stock mat is pretty harsh in comparison. Wooden Bull is duller, but still not as smooth as Herbie's. I think I'll get another Herbie's for the second turntable.

displayname likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.