Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

This is not the same table. It has similar styling, but it is all new parts. Tooling up for something like this costs a fortune. They had to bring people out of retirement to work on this. It was a big project and very expensive. They are making their R&D money back on this.

The new model for two grand will be the 'bread and butter' product for them - expect them to sell a LOT of them.

2. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Any GAE/G owners living in Brooklyn or NYC? If so, any chance I can entice you to bring it on over to my apt. for a listening sesh? Alcohol and food would be provided ;)

3. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Supposedly, the local Technics dealer will be getting a shipment of the 1200 G decks by the end of this month. When they arrive I may take my cartridge/headshell combo over to the store and plug it into that beast for a test run.

4. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I'm hoping the GR arrives around May...the wait begins!

Also, it looks to come in closer to $1600 than $2K. Leaves some room for a nice cart in my budget.

johnny q likes this.
  5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

No - but I have a friend in Brooklyn that has a Pioneer PLX-1000.....is that close enough? :D:D;);)

Licorice pizza likes this.
  6. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I have a Plx-1000, but Brooklyn is kinda of a ways from me. Great TT going on 3 years now.

LarryP, Hail Vinyl! and johnny q like this.
  7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I haven't read a mention yet that Fremer's video did not have the audio switched. Some guy on YouTube (I'm sure he's a member here) posted this elaborate analyzation video with all these spectral examples proving that they were switched and he got it all wrong. When betting on speed variations/fluctuations I wouldn't bet against the Technics.

aroney, LarryP and SamS like this.
  8. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

VERY nice new video from Technics, only two and a half minutes long and well worth your time:

9. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Anybody know of any US retailers that have the 1200GR up for order?

10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I bought my G from Fidelis, you could call Walter and ask him when he'll have 1200GR's.

11. Are there still dealers with new stock of the GAE or did you buy it second hand? Thanks.

12. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I bought mine new from Galen Carol Audio, a great outfit: Home | Galen Carol Audio

No idea if they still have the GAE in stock though.

13. russk

russk Forum Resident

Finally heard a 1200g. Fantastic table and it kills my original 1200 from 2008. Very curious about the arm though and what cartridges people are using with it. Anyone running a Denon 103 or Dynavector 20x2?

14. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I had a DV-20X2L on it for a while. Probably a good match. Nice controlled bass, but a bit too upper midrange aggressive for me. I liked it, but did not love it. Maybe the phono stage I was using did not do it justice, I don't know.

My main cartridge now is Goldring 1042. Fantastic. Lively, sparkly, detailed without being cold. Very engaging. Likely to remain a long term favorite - bought a spare stylus :).

For the past few days I've been using a Shure V15III with a JICO HE stylus. Charming, natural, effortless. Not the best match, resonance-wise, but plays great. I can't make myself take it off.

russk likes this.
  15. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

So far, the consensus I've seen, here and in other Forums, is that the GAE/G far outperforms the original 1200. But has anyone compared one to a significantly modified 1200? I'm thinking: outboard power supply, rewired tonearm at a minimum (maybe better vibration isolation too).

16. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Good morning Archie. I haven't done the comparison but I don't think modifying an original 1200 makes as much sense now as it might have at one time. The new 1200 GR, while not at the level of the GAE/G uses the new motor and arm design enhancements as the starting point for the reduced cost GR version. Cost I believe will be in the $1,600-2,000 range. At that point modifying an older model would lose some/a lot of it's charm in my book.

DrJ likes this.
  17. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Thanks Clay.

Where I'm sort of going with my question is whether I'd see a benefit from "upgrading" from my fully KAB modified MK2 or if it gets me close enough to the GAE/G or GR performance? [On a slightly different note, there could be some potential benefits to the new line from some of Kevin's modifications, if I understand them correctly. Possibly, the outboard power supply, strobe cancellation and tonearm damping, to name three. I also think that there can never be enough vibration isolation.]

I'm trying to figure out the hierarchy of 1200s available and wondering if I need to start saving $$$.

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think at some point it stops being about how various vintages of 1200's compare to one another and more about how Good Turntable A relates to Good Turntable B. Apples to Oranges, in other words. I get the impression the full-KAB'd out 1200MK2 competes with tables in the $2k+ range, if you already have one there's probably nothing the new ones have to offer beyond being something new.

All speculation, of course.

LarryP likes this.
  19. Monddialle

Monddialle Forum Resident

Good issue for me also. My MK2-A had been moderately modified ( fully rewired incl. on/off switch ) and seriously exterior-upgraded (galvanized to semi-glossy chrome finish) since Sep 1988.
    At 99℅ I am convinced that GAE or G will outpass it but the last per cent possibility they will be equal prevents me from making this test for $4-4.5K.

20. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I've read reviews where people say their 1200G blew away their VPI Scout and where their VPI Prime blew away their stock 1200. It's all confusing to me at this point. I've personally found that few changes in my system "blow away" its predecessor (but I've never tried going back the other way either). I did get a nice lift when I went from MM to MC and if I could get that same lift by upgrading my TT I'd do it. But I too have enough doubt to hold off for now.

21. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

And Archie if you are enjoying your music now, why change? If you buy that next turntable, that won't mean there won't always be a better one. There will be. One of the things I like about this forum is that there are so many combinations of equipment old and new, expensive and inexpensive that seem to make music enjoyable for members. Take your time and listen. If something really floats your boat make the move. If not, that's okay as well. You already own a classic. And never ever buy something you can't easily afford. And never ever buy on credit.

Sorry, I'll get off the soapbox.

22. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

You sound like me! Ha ha ha! :agree:

23. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Are regional dealers the only place to buy the new 1200GR? Any online retailers?

24. OK, but as of late January, they still had the GAE in stock?

25. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Yes.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Billy Budapest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.