Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Can I please ask where have you seen it at that price?

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

keiron99 and Robert C like this.
  3. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Im gonna wait several years for the price to drop significantly and then Ill buy onr

Aftermath likes this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I wonder if Richer Sounds will beat that or wriggle out of their price promise, if they do beat it and also allow the £300 trade in that would be very interesting.

To answer my own question they won't match/beat voucher prices, a shame as £2,100 is a much more appealing price.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Richer were doing a voucher price a few weeks ago but have withdrawn it.

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Probably because of the RSD trade in offer, I suspect we'll see the Technics at a better price on a future VIP email, still a long way for it to fall before I'll swap out my 1210 though, but heading in the right direction at least.

Robert C likes this.
  7. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

They were just comparing three versions of the 1200. Two older models and the new 1200G. They were saying that the platter on the new model really opens up the sound as compared with the platters on the older models. They did not do any platter swapping, as it would be impossible.

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. missan

missan Forum Resident

So they just made it up then.

9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Whatever they did in their comparisons, they wrote that sentence poorly, causing reader confusion.

Aftermath likes this.
  10. missan

missan Forum Resident

Not really, they made it up.

11. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

"Popping the platter from the original 1200 mk.II on the current table quickly reveals the progress made. Images fully rendered on the 1200G shrink dramatically and a level of low level image focus and quality disappears. The delta is like going from a pair of Nordost Odin cables to a pair of Radio Shack interconnects".

There are many made up things in this quote.

Aftermath and Dubmart like this.
  12. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The motor on the new 1200G is more of a subplatter that the platter sits on. The platter itself is not part of the motor like on the old 1200 designs. It looks like you could try different platters on the 1200G if you wanted to.

PhilBiker likes this.
  13. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

They're "alternative facts". :laugh:

jeff

Ghostworld, Aftermath and Robert C like this.
  14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Someone could try asking them. I don't know.

15. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Where are the 1200Gs available in the US? I searched on line and couldn't find any for sale.

16. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I took it as they were trying to compare the build of both platters, saying, pull off the old platter and look at the underside and compare it to the new one, and you'll see the progress in the design. Yes, it was poorly worded, though.

PhilBiker likes this.
  17. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Audio Visions in San Francisco and Value Electronics in Scarsdale, New York are Technics dealers and I believe I recall Galen Carol being one as well.

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Robert C likes this.
  19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Seems like an excellent price. If I saw a G in the US for $1999, I'd pick it up as a spare!!

Robert C and oregonalex like this.
  20. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Thanks!

21. Definitely weird to write about putting the old platter on the new table. It seems to me like that would not work. The writer could have been trying to describe something else. The piece is not bylined, so we don't know who wrote it and can't question them as to what they meant.

22. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

It says Jeff Dorgay at the end.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  23. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I have 4 DD turntables...2 Pioneer (PL560...PL530)...and 2 Technics...SL 1600 and SL1200 MK2) none display any "cogging" issues nor would it be audible with W/F measurements down around .025. I frankly have never paid any attention to statements re: "cogging"

24. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

At the current exchange rate, that's about $2,500. Still a great price though.

25. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Actually, I think he's about right, you're probably not subtracting the 20% VAT. Those are demo model prices, though.

Aftermath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.