Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

NOT when it is tightened. Before you lock down the collar you can move the headshell slightly to get it straight, then screw the collar down. There's enough adjustability there for me to dial azimuth in perfectly with the two cartridges I've tried, using a fozgometer.

Aftermath and oregonalex like this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

The retail price on the last Technics model (M5G/MK5) was 800.00 USD - this was 2009/2010 I believe. I picked up the last M5G that KAB sold.

snorker and Opeth like this.
  3. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

My guess as well. Still - you'd think that they'd potentially reference it with the disclaimer - "ADJUSTMENT TO BE PERFORMED BY AUTHORIZED DEALER" or something like that.

4. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

The Bronze is what I would want too, if (or when) I get a Technics. Not sure about the headshell. The mono would be nice too, as I typically play a lot of old 45s. But I would also want a 78 cartridge!

wgb113 likes this.
  5. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

OUCH!

6. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Strange, the part number for the headshell in the GR manual is TPBGA003. It's listed on that same site for $92 but not available for sale. It's up on Amazon Japan for @ $55.

Looking at the Ortofon SH-4 headshell last night the azimuth is slightly off. When the 2M Bronze arrives I'll try it in both the SH-4 and the Technics headshell to see if any differences exist.

7. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Interesting. I wonder if there's actually any difference in the two...does it look the same as the photo I posted above? I also wonder what the difference is between the model numbers on that site for the SL-1200G. They list an SL1200GPP and SL1200GEG...different markets maybe?

With the Ortofon headhsell, can you position it a bit tilted in the socket before you screw the collar down so the cartridge azimuth comes out right? I'm not sure it matters if the headshell itself is not perfectly level, because it's the stylus in the groove that needs to be straight.

8. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

That would be close to $900, inflation adjusted. The additional $800 at least gets a new motor, and probably other refinements underneath the hood. Plus you get a warranty.

I think the market has changed significantly since 2010, so it's not really a fair comparison in that sense either. I doubt Panasonic would make a profit on it at anywhere near $800-900. For one they're made in Japan. The labor is going to be more costly than in china where, for example, the Pioneer 'table is made. I've not heard the GR, but my guess is it is a significant step up over the Pioneer deck if the thing is even 80% of the GAE/G model.

There turntables I think are more comparable to VPIs, Clearaudio, Rega, etc (up to a certain level) and that seems to be the market for which they were aiming.

9. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Yep, looks exactly like the photo in the link you posted. I pulled the part number out of my GR's owner's manual.

I tried holding the Ortofon tilted clockwise as far as I could when tightening the collar but it wasn't enough. I'll try to post a comparison pic with the Technics headshell adjusted tonight.

snorker likes this.
  10. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yeah, that's when the adjustable azimuth is going to come in handy. With my current cartridges I'm able to get the azimuth correct just holding the headshell a touch clockwise when tightening the collar.

11. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

The headshell goes into one possible position, no matter how wiggly it is before tightening the collar. You seem to have an illusion. What kind of design it would be if it allowed tilting, without warning the user to it in the manual?

12. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Sorry, you're wrong. It may appear that way, but if you check with a fozgometer the very slightest movement impacts azimuth substantially.

AArchie and oregonalex like this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Yea, it's always been an issue with some tonearms and removable headshells, though whether the play is good or bad depends on the user. Earlier in the thread, @back2vinyl was having issue on the 1200G because even when tightened down, he still could rotate the headshell some, which doesn't seem quite right. Not sure if that was ever resolved.

14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

On few 1200s owned so far I never had that issue. One seemed to be tilted (or maybe it was my wrong impression) and I couldn't rectify it no matter what I tried - it always locked in one position.

15. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yeah, if it's tightened down you should not be able to move the headshell. I spoke to Kevin at KAB about this after I bought an Ortofon LH-9000 that had the same issue. The Technics headshells come with a rubber washer on the end to ensure a secure fit and avoid metal-to-metal contact putting undue stress on the socket.

The Ortofon had no such rubber washer and I had to make the collar much, much tighter or I could still move it. If I re-purposed the washer from the stock headshell it made a much more secure fit. I complained to Ortofon, and they very kindly sent me several rubber washers by mail, which their rep told me they reserve for their DJ cartridges that are typically used on the SL-1200.

One other thing Kevin pointed out to me about the Technics headshell, if you look at the back of it you will see it is not at a right angle to the top, it has a small angle to it, which is apparently by design to compensate for the slight upward motion you get when you only use one bayonet pin. The original SME headshells I believe used two pins to keep it perfectly straight in the socket.

16. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes, I think I am just not communicating this very well. I apologize. It's pretty much in one position when tightened, but there is a minuscule amount it can be moved clockwise or counter-clockwise when tightening the collar down, and that in my experience has been just enough to properly adjust azimuth with my cartridges, as verified by a fozgometer. I cannot really see with the naked eye that it has moved...it's probably less than 0.5 a degree difference. There are cartridges where this method would not work and you'd need an adjustable azimuth headshell, though if the cartridge was that far off from perpendicular I'd consider returning it as defective.

oregonalex likes this.
  17. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

No, it's not right to have movement with the collar locked down. See my post #2159 above.

18. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Here's a head-to-head shot of the height differences of the Ortofon SH-4 headshell vs. the stock Technics:

[​IMG]

snorker likes this.
  19. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Here's a view of some of azimuth adjustment is available by loosening the set screw on the new 1200 headshell:
    [​IMG]

snorker likes this.
  20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Now it comes to mind that maybe the headshell screw was lose, allowing rotation even with locked collar?

snorker likes this.
  21. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Here are some comparison shots when mounted in the 1200GR arm:
    Ortofon SH-4
    [​IMG]
    Technics (without azimuth adjustment)
    [​IMG]
    Technics (with some azimuth adjustment)
    [​IMG]

Billy Budapest and snorker like this.
  22. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

And some more comparison shots in the same order:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Billy Budapest and snorker like this.
  23. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I still have some work to do to get it a little better but I'm sure I want to swap out the Ortofon SH-4 headshells for the adjustable Technics.

Bill

snorker likes this.
  24. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

It seems that your tonearm was assembled incorrectly if you have that much azimuth error when using a non-adjustable headshell, but I've never spent much time with SL-1200s in the past. Still, kind of discouraging to see that in what seems like otherwise a very high quality turntable. What would you do to get a better fit with the other headshell? Is there another adjustment on the tonearm tube somewhere near the pivot, or just where the headshell connector attaches?

AArchie likes this.
  25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

So how do you adjust the Technics azimuth on the spot? The screw is hardly approachable. Other headshells have it on the side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.