Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Müller

Tim Müller Forum Resident

I play Graceland, the original release. Hey, it sounds amazing. Almost like the CD release.

Best regards

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

A year later, the $3999 I paid for the GAE still feels like a bargain.

3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I did a lot of shopping around before pulling the trigger on the SL-1200G, and IMO the G and GR are the best turntables on the market at their respective price-points.

4. Tim Müller

Hello folks,

I noticed, there were 3 models available:
    The GAE model, the GR and the G models.

I would like to ask, what are the differences (appart from the price)?
    Technical data seems to be the same?

Best regards

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

6. Tim Müller

Thank you.

I already downloaded and read all three manuals. The only difference I can find is the platter itself (brass/aluminium for the GAE and G models, aluminium for the GR model) and the tonarm (magnesium for the GAE and G models, aluminium for the GR models).
    Are there more differences I am not aware of?
    Are there any differences between the limited GAE model and the G model?

Best regards

bluemooze and Deuce66 like this.
  7. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I think I read that the only difference between the GAE and G is the silicone used in the feet.

8. missan

missan Forum Resident

The GAE and G models are rather different from GR. The plinth is different, totally different engine.

LarryP and snorker like this.
  9. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

The GAE and G are nearly identical, with only slightly different feet and the anniversary plaque separating the two.

Despite appearances, there's quite a bit of difference between those two and the GR, like the motor, an aluminum top plate (as opposed to plastic), much heavier plinth with more rubber damping material, brass platter, different feet, and magnesium tonearm tube, among other things. But it is less than half the retail price of the others.

10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What plastic?

11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

The top plate of the plinth.

EDIT: I was wrong! Sorry. It's aluminum. :oops:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    PhilBiker likes this.
  12. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

Yea, I'm pretty sure the top plate is cast aluminum on the GR, not plastic.

The G/GAE has a different feedback control for the motor, higher resolution optical as opposed to the old system retained for the GR. There's a lot of differences, I think most have been listed earlier in this thread, not sure it's warranted to go through it all again, there's ad copy on the Technics dealer sites detailing them.

13. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

It is aluminum.

56GoldTop and snorker like this.
  14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

"The SL-1200GR ensures high rigidity by using a body with a two-layered construction solidly unifying the BMC and the aluminium die-cast chassis."
    [​IMG]

snorker likes this.
  15. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Awesome! I stand corrected. Man, that makes the GR even more of a bargain than I was thinking.

16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I'll always have a special place and respect for uturn. This was dec 2016 and I knew nothing of vinyl and was the perfect solution. It made me focus on just the vinyl experience and buying vinyl! With that said, the 1200gr does play in a different league, and in addition to the ease and flexibility of setup, there is absolutely no noise/very quiet background, and has a very snappy, rhythmic quality to the sound which fits my listening tastes perfectly. Detail retrieval, soundstage, and dynamics are definitely not held back by the 1200gr/ortofon 2m blue combo.

17. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Glad to hear. I found a similar upgrade going from a Clearaudio a Concept Wood to the SL-1200G with the same cartridge.

18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Can someone confirm if the hinges are the same size as the old ones? A photo maybe? On some photos the slots look like they might be a bit thinner.

19. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

But the top has always been cast aluminum, except for the G/GAE, which went with the 10mm plate. I think the similar Pioneer PLX-1000 went with cast zinc for increased mass, or maybe lower cost, not sure.

snorker likes this.
  20. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yeah, sorry. My mistake. For some reason I thought they changed it on the GR. The GAE/G just have a thicker aluminum and the "Technics" is embossed in the metal.

21. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Good question. From what I can see the cover is exactly the same, but I'm not sure about the hinges.

22. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Agreed - the pace and rhythm was something that's jumped out to me early as well. I never felt like anything was "off" in that regard on my Carbon but I did get that sense that PRAT was now "right" almost immediately upon my first listens on the 1200GR.

snorker likes this.
  23. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes. That, and transients are no longer slightly smeared as with my previous belt-driven turntable. Some may find the slight smearing to be a pleasing "analog" sound, but I just found it to be inaccurate, particularly after years of CDs before coming back to vinyl. And I could hear pitch instability that (assuming a concentric record) is completely eliminated with the Technics. To my ears, as you note, things just sound "right."

56GoldTop, Robert C and recstar24 like this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Fellow 1200g/gr owners - do you have an idea on how thick the stock rubber mat is? I don't have a digital Caliper or another mat to compare to. Would like to look at getting a different mat at some point.

25. Tim Müller

Hello,

so, these two models, the G and the GR, are in prinicpal two completely different turntables? Only thing in common is the design?
    If motor, damping, tonearm are different: What else is there that is essential to a turntable?

As I understand, the MKII to MK6 models had a lot in common: The motor, the tonearm, the plinth. With only minor differences, like plinth finish, the range of the pitch adjust, or the 78rpm speed option, or the material of the cables.

Now, it appears to me, the new GR is also a complete new turntable, with only the design being the same as the original 1200?

Best regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.