Petula Clark CD Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chip-hp, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat Thread Starter

I need a good sounding Petula Clark CD which contains at least her 15 top 40 U.S. hits ... after a little research, I see there are a lot of choices ... any recommendations?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have these two sets...I like them both!

This set was amazingly CHEAP! I got it from Disc Collector a while back..under $20.00!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=MISS70305191102&sql=Adukcikckbb79

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=MISS70305191102&sql=A7jpsa9wgu23h

both cover much Petula!:)

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

There must be a hundred Pet CD's, Chip, in and out of print, and probably not one is alike....just from memory, I can tell you there is a 2-CD set from the UK on the Snapper label that is kinda rough for the older tracks, but by the time you get to "Downtown" things perk up a bit, and I think those cuts tend to be stereo except for(have no idea why)"The Cat In The Window(The Bird In The Sky)."

One very interesting(and inexpensive)collection is a Warner Special Products deal from Oz titled GREATEST HITS that has quite a few MONO mixes that have turned up elsewhere, but for $8 I was surprised and delighted to get what was there. Those mixes are well worth having if you want a real trip down memory lane though, to be fair, the stereo mixes were fine, too.

Whatever you decide, there sure is enough Pet to go around, including, IIRC, an unreleased 1970 Lp that's pretty good(can't remember the title--yet to be shelved properly). She was a prolific lass...

ED:cool:

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Re: Re: Petula Clark CD Recommendation?

"The Cat In The Window(The Bird In The Sky)." is in GLORIOUS STEREO on the 4 Cee Dee Set "The Classic Collection" I mentioned...:)

5. chip-hp

Thanks ... Michael ... Ed ... I'll keep my eyes peeled. :)

6. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Cool Cat, somehow that Avatar fits ya!

mud-:D

7. chip-hp

Coming from you ... I am not sure how to take that remark ... how did you know that I have stripes? :)

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Hey, it's a compliment! Seriously!

I knew you had stripes because you mentioned once that you were on parole!

9. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

My recommendations would be "Downtown: The Pye Anthology" (2CD, UK issue, 50 songs in total), and "Pet Songs", a budget comp from 1992, which I love because it has the version of "The Lights Of Night" that is on my old Warner LP (the UK CD reissue has a slightly different mix, perhaps an alternate take?).

You gotta be careful with Pet comps; some of them have utterly horrid sound quality.

10. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Graham has a cool avatar too.

What kind of pooch is that, Graham?

mud-

11. chip-hp

Gee, Mud ... I told you that in strict confidence ... now everybody knows. :D

12. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Damn! Me and my big mouth.

13. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

It's an English Bull Terrier (not to be confused with a Pit Bull).

14. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

15. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Graham, thanks. I wouldn't confuse that fella with a Pit Bull.

mud-

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There is also the Petula Clark Anthology on Hip-O which has nice sound, 2 CDs, and spans her entire career except that it doesn't include any of her pre-Downtown recordings.

17. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Yes nice collection and very good sound. I think it was mastered by Elliott Federman (is that right?). He's been doing very good work lately...

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Dan Hersch without Bill Inglot did the mastering on the Hip-O collection. Avoid the GNP Crescendo compilation as it sounds lousy.

19. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Right you are... I was thinking of something else. Still great sound...

20. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

The Elliott Federman mastered disc is the one I posted a link to above.

Pity it only has 12 tracks but the sound is amazing.

21. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

22. RDK

RDK Active Member

It's funny that you bring up this thread now. Just yesterday I was listening to a "new" Petula Clark 3-disc comp that I found at a Tower Records sidewalk sale for just five bucks. I was gonna post that I thought it sounded very good for being a cheapo BMG Australia import. Mostly (all?) stereo, some good ol' tape hiss in spots, and no compression that I can here (though I was listening in the car). Anyway, here's its AMG link...

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=MISS70305220158&sql=Afmdfylk3xpeb

23. tomken22

tomken22 Senior Member

Pet Clark Anthology

Hi Chip,

I've had a number of Pet Clark CD's and anthologies. I a/b'd them all and to my ears, the 2000 Pet Clark 2-CD Anthology "Downtown To Sunset Boulevard" sounds the best. You can't go wrong with this set.

Tom

24. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Yeah, you can find that one cluttering up the bargain bins all over Sydney along with many other titles with similar packaging.

I've never listened to it. I guess it's the cheapo packaging!

:)

25. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I read your recommendation concerning "Downtown: The Greatest Hits of Petula Clark," and I was able to get a copy. You are absolutely correct- the sound is fantastic. I haven't heard anything that can match the quality. Thanks for the tip.

AJH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.