Pfansteihl Record cleaning fluid contains lead?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by radicaldreamers, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radicaldreamers

radicaldreamers Member Thread Starter

Just realized the Pfansteihl record cleaning spray I have been using for the past couple years contains lead. Even trace amounts can be harmful to your health, right? And as it is a spray, I have definitely inhaled some amount of it over the years. Does anyone know how much lead it contains? I have been very happy with its performance but health is obviously more important. Can anyone recommend a safe alternative?

2. radicaldreamers

Just looking for something that will work well. Anti-static if possible, one of the best aspects of the Pfansteihl. Any recommendations?

3. resonated

resonated Forum Resident

Oof. Hope your health wasn't impacted by this cost-cutting measure. Do you need a cleaning fluid that dispenses as a spray? If not, there are dozens of high-quality, alcohol-free fluids available. I recommend l'art du son.

4. radicaldreamers

I... hope not. Haven't noticed anything, and luckily don't have any kids in the house. I don't need a spray. I used to use Discwasher. Should I go back to that? L'art du Son looks great, but pricey. Worth it?

5. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

How does lead end up in record cleaning fluid?
    As a young man, I worked at a body shop and exposed to lacquer paint atomized in the air, containing lead. I'm still around to report that :laugh:
    You're probably fine, as a healthy person can handle trace amounts and not be "poisoned" by it.

6. resonated

resonated Forum Resident

For the amount that you get, it's a great value. I clean several LPs each day and after more than 4 months, I've used less than a quarter of the concentrate.

7. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

Just to let you guys know: lead accumulates in the body and remains there, it doesn't dissipate, so the more lead you absorb, the worse it can get.

8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Nope.

9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

How much lead? You are in contact with lead every day, including the water you drink and the air you breathe. You used to breathe a lot more when TEPb was a gasoline additive. Dead yet?

10. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Lead is a deal breaker.

11. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

i doubt it's gonna hurt you. but i also doubt it is very good for cleaning lps.

12. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

What's could be the purpose of adding lead in a cleaning record solution?

13. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Is there a chemical analysis?

14. radicaldreamers

I couldn't find one, but the outside package clearly states that there are harmful chemicals, including lead, known to the state of California to cause cancer, or something like that. Don't have it in front of me but that's the gist. Any amount of lead is too much for me, especially in a spray. Keep recommendations coming! What about Last record cleaner? My local shop recommends Last products and I've been happy with their stylus cleaner. Anybody tried it?

15. radicaldreamers

Could have to do with the anti-static properties? It is an anti-static cleaner and it works great for that. If not that I'm not sure what purpose it could serve. Perhaps just some kind of byproduct or general additive? Why was it gasoline for so long?

16. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Lead was added to gasoline to cushion the impact on the head cylinder's valves and retard detonation. I don't think either can apply to cleaning records.

17. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

The OP should check out these recommendations from the WHO:
    Lead poisoning and health

Trace amounts of lead once thought to be safe have damaging and lasting effects on children's intelligence and behaviour. Lead persists in the environment so even if the OP doesn't have children he could be leaving an invisible toxic legacy for future owners of the home and their children.

18. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

If true, then using the Pfansteihl record cleaning spray is quite dangerous. :eek:

There's a certain YouTuber who wholeheartedly recommend using it... Uh oh.

19. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The WHO is more toxic than trace amounts of lead.

Tedster likes this.
  20. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

These are the same people who would give you a DUI if you drove past a liquor store three days ago, if they could.

There is no way they are using lead in the product itself. Record cleaning fluid is (probably) mostly water. There may be a molecule or two in there. Do you drink water? The hysteria and neurosis of people today is off the chart because of labeling like this.

There is a MSDS available by law for this product. Look it up and post what it is.

F1nut likes this.
  21. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Let me guess... zeastlife

nosliw likes this.
  22. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Don't worry about it; that's a California Prop 65 warning. California Proposition 65 (1986) - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

radicaldreamers and inperson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.