Phantom of the Paradise vs The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Sep 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

A preference of these two cult "Classics" ?

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They're both well-made films, but Phantom of the Paradise is 10 times better to me -- as a film. I actually like the music in both, but would lean towards Phantom there, too.

My favorite line in Phantom is where Paul Williams is in the studio with Winslow Leach, and you hear Leach's damaged voice coming out of the speakers. Williams flips a few switches, then says "Dolbys!" and hits another switch, and instantly Leach's voice sounds exactly like Paul Williams the singer. Hilarious bit.

Old Rusty, g.z. and Monosterio like this.
  3. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Didn't Rod Serling do some narration for Phamton of the Paradise? It would have been one of the last movies that he ever did.

singergirl29 likes this.
  4. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I've never even heard of Phantom of the Paradise, but it sounds like I need to see it.

Rufus McDufus and Scope J like this.
  5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Wow does that ever take me back. I've seen Rocky Horror... many times since the mid-70s, but not Phantom... since it was in theatres. Just googled some images from it and I remember liking it but apparently soon forgot it. I'll have to see it again.

Scope J likes this.
  6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I like them both but in my heart, Rocky will always come first ("Brad comes second!").

7. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Me either. I am not sure how I have never heard of it. It came out only a year or two before I would have been the right age (high school). It must have died quickly?

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

DePalma all the way!

g.z. likes this.
  9. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Rocky. Phantom is very dull to me, and I honestly find some of the music to be just awful. (Yes, I mean, "Upholstery.")

The fact that a chunk of Phantom is UNCOMFORTABLY close to Rocky (gay, bowl-haired blonde Frankenstein born in a tank? really?) makes me wonder if someone saw the London show and said "I can do that!". Hell, I've seen screenings of Rocky that replaced Rocky's birth with that sequence from POTP! :p

10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I just watched Phantom (it's available to stream for free for Amazon Prime members) and have to echo your comments. I generally didn't find much to like about Phantom, and I was at least expecting to like the music more than I did because it was written by Paul Williams. Maybe if there were better singers in the film I would have liked some of the songs more? About the only thing I liked about Phantom was the general look -- lots of interesting shots/sets/colors. But, really, it's a pretty tedious film to watch in its entirety.

TheLazenby and Mark Nelson like this.
  11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

10 -10 tie ...interesting

12. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Jessica Harper > Susan Sarandon

Hershiser and minerwerks like this.
  13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Rocky Horror is all over after 20 minutes and runs out of steam after that. Disappointing.

14. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Phantom gets my vote.

g.z. likes this.
  15. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

lol!

That scene just made me think of Ashlee Simpson and a lot of the other current pop "simpletons" out there.

A hilarious bit that also became a rather accurate prediction ...

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Phantom. I never could sit through Rocky Horror all the way. Plus Paul Williams is so over the top. Lots of fun to watch.

g.z. likes this.
  17. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I voted Phantom too, I loved this movie when I was a kid and bought it on DVD a few years ago and was very suprised that I still enjoyed it. It was so campy back than and the music was great, it didn't date itself too much in my opinion.

Rocky Horror never did it for me, I was too young to go to the theatre to take part in all the fun and games, the movie without the interaction seems fairly weak. Maybe one day I'll try and hit the midnight screenings if it comes back.

g.z. and apesfan like this.
  18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Three songs in Phantom are classic to me
    Faust(both versions)
    Old Souls
    and The Hell Of It.
    These are still in my regular playlist.

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Haven't seen "Paradise" in a LONG time, but, I think I would vote for it... since "Rocky Horror" only truly works when seen in front of a bunch of people yelling at the screen, making jokes, reciting dialogue, and having a good time!

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Both films suck. HOWEVER, I really the songs in the RHPS. An excellent score. Phantom lacks that, so Rocky wins.

Oh yes. Susan Sarandon running around in her underwear earns Rocky another round of bonus points.

kevywevy likes this.
  21. TheLazenby

You must love Shock Treatment then. :p

22. TheLazenby

I'll be honest, the only time I ever enjoyed "Phantom" was with a shadow cast and callbacks (mostly pointing out its obvious similarities to RHPS). Otherwise, I can't make it through the whole thing.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The funny thing about Phantom of the Paradise is that Paul Williams was originally hired to play the title character, the hero. The week before production, director Brian DePalma told him, "hey, why don't you and Bill Finley swap parts, and see how that works?" They rehearsed it that way, and much to everybody's surprise, Williams was better as the villain, Swan! So that was a last minute change.

They also originally called Williams' record company Swan Records, which was too similar to the real-life Swan Song Records label, so after the film was shot they had to use (bad) opticals to change the building signs and record labels seen in the film to Death Records, which is not quite the same thing.

g.z. likes this.
  24. Both low budget classics. A pity that Phantom is forgotten by many. I enjoy both. Phantom is better made but I like the music better in Rocky Horror although both feature terrific scores and a star turning performance by Tim Curry gives RHPS the win for me.

25. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I'm surprised the vote is as close as it is. Always loved RHPS and seen the touring version many times throughout the years. Rocky (the film) seems to have aged better than Phantom. And all apologies to Mr Williams, but the songs were nowhere near the quality of the material in Rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.