Pharoah Sanders vinyl reissues on Anthology Recordings due in Nov. 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlienRendel, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member Thread Starter

Anthology Recordings (part of Mexican Summer) are going to reissue 3 key Pharoah Sanders LPs in November.

Tauhid, Jewels of Thought and Deaf, Dumb, Blind

dublab :: Pharoah Sanders - Mexican Summer

Unfortunately no details at all about tapes used/remastering...

2. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

Great stuff. Hopefully they will get imported into the UK.

AlienRendel likes this.
  3. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Very cool,I'll be on the lookout.

AlienRendel likes this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I emailed the label for more info. Would love it if they are the real deal, but kind of doubt it.

AlienRendel likes this.
  5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Needle drops.

VinylRob likes this.
  6. dpb

dpb Forum Resident

The trouble outside US is shipping, the 3 LP box is $60 but shipping to France is $36 ! that's too bad

7. AlienRendel

Srsly?

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yup. Straight from the label.

AlienRendel likes this.
  9. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

It’s a legit label, and these are major label copyrights, so I doubt they’re boots.

And why would they be needledrops when there are perfectly good CDs of this stuff available in any jazz stockist on the planet which they could use if needs be?

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I was told they are “high quality vinyl transfers”. I’m assuming that means needle drops, but I didnt pose a followup question, but in this day and age if the label isn’t pushing the master tape angle in their ads, its pretty easy to read between the lines.

11. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Sorry - just found their FB post - you’re right!

Not sure I understand the point of using a needle drop unless the masters are missing.

12. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

Needle drops? I'm totally fine owning these albums on cd.

SteelyTom, patient_ot and Willowman like this.
  13. hagcel

hagcel Forum Resident

Wow I was excited for this...but...needle drops??

AlienRendel likes this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Maybe somebody else should contact the label and give them a second chance?

AlienRendel likes this.
  15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

16. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

What a shame that these prized titles have been reissued in such a deleterious manner. Who in their right mind would produce these as needledrops?!

17. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

Anybody heard the CDs released in the late nineties?

18. AlienRendel

I have a bunch of the mid-90s Impulse! US CDs with the super bit-mapping that came in digipaks and they sound pretty good.

Andy Pandy likes this.
  19. Nicholas Valdes

Nicholas Valdes New Member

I'm new to the forums and much of this conversation is likely above my head but I'm curious if anyone has actually sat down and listened to these reissues. I'd like to jump on them if the reviews are favorable. Not seeing a ton of information on them.

Anyone have any reading you can point me towards regarding evaluating reissue sound quality and what to look for? This topic interests me. Thanks.

AlienRendel likes this.
  20. jamo spingal

I've been thinking about it and am close to ordering Jewels of Thought. I've not seen an original come up when I've been looking. Some original pre-1971 Impulse masters were ditched when ABC Dunhill moved from NYC to the West Coast. They had made dubs of some tapes they felt were deteriorating, but had ditched the original tapes to avoid doubling up, rather than keeping them. Most famously the A Love Supreme dub was messed up.
    Perhaps these records are better taken from clean original vinyl and tidied ? We don't know. Otherwise why not license from UMG just like DeAgostini have done on their Jazz 33 1/3 RPM series which includes a bunch of Impulse titles.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  21. AlienRendel

I'd love to hear from someone who has actually listened to them. None of the reviews I have come across so far have discussed sound quality at all.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I picked up Deaf, Dumb, and Blind recently, knowing nothing about this reissue series. Haven't played it yet, but after reading this thread, I'll put it on tonight.

Sounds like my search for a clean copy of this album will likely continue, though, based on the information at hand.

AlienRendel likes this.
  23. Nicholas Valdes

Nicholas Valdes New Member

I'm curious to hear you report back e.s.

AlienRendel likes this.
  24. oldjollymon

oldjollymon right channel den/left channel kitchen

I only have Tauhid so far (& others on order), but it sounds good to me: quiet, w/ good separation of instruments. I think “Deaf...” is the only one that was actually remastered, so maybe it really does sound different. All of them have taken a beating in terms of SQ on Discogs, but I’m happy w/ Tauhid.

AlienRendel likes this.
  25. jamo spingal

Glad you're happy, but checked the couple of reviews on Discogs. If true then it's a shame.
    You can do much better - if you've seen the thread on DeAgostini Jazz 33 1/3 you'll see that folks in the UK are more than happy with the quality of their licensed other Impulse, Blue Note etc records. If no gatefold on the Anthology recordings then it's a real miss. See below for typical Impulse recordings on the DeAgostini series, full gatefolds (albeit not as heavy as the originals), original labels and a booklet. Price is similar to the $20.

[​IMG]

Imagine70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.