Phil Collins doesn't play on 'art of dying'. Can someone fix Wikipedia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bigmikerocks, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Phil tells the story of how he doesn't actually appear on George Harrison's masterpiece in his autobiography and there's also a video clip out there where he tells the tale.

Can anyone more experienced than me with Wiki make that happen? He's still listed on congas.

It would be so rad to hear the alternate take that Phil plays on. Better yet, to hear the 'copy' of the alternate take that George gave Phil as a gag gift years later.

elgoodo likes this.
  2. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

If that is the case, they need to change the Harrison written liner notes for reissues of "All Things Must Pass" too. :)

DTK, elgoodo, noahjld and 1 other person like this.
  3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

You can edit it yourself. I did so with a Beatles entry for the Red Album.

4. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

There are still other references to him on that page.

But how to reconcile this sentence?

Testifying to the ferocity of the performance, Phil Collins later recalled that his hands were so badly blistered during the run-throughs of the song, he was unable to play his congas with any force once they came to actually record it, hence the apparent absence of congas in the final mix.

6. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

So what was it he played on? Collins told the story himself about Art Of Dying years back!

7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

According to his book, the version he played on had a whole different arrangement than the one they used.

8. I don't think you have to per se--but one could list him in the credits as having playEd on an alternate mix. Wiki can be really odd with some weird stuff there and, what's worse, when you try to correct it, if the original author asks for updates, he can change it back or--worse without proper citation, wiki's editors will sometimes. I had this happen on a number of music releases there (and movie) where myths were perpetuated there.

9. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

But what of this from the "Recording" section of that entry?

"Testifying to the ferocity of the performance, Phil Collins later recalled that his hands were so badly blistered during the run-throughs of the song, he was unable to play his congas with any force once they came to actually record it, hence the apparent absence of congas in the final mix.[37]"

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The book says that his hands did start bleeding but he kept playing....He was standing next to Ringo and Billy Preston so he couldn't crap out. But he says it was clearly a different recording when he got the album.

Brother Maynard likes this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Editing Wikipedia is about as worth one's effort at playing whack a mole with no prize for winning.

GoodKitty and R. Totale like this.
  12. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Wikipedia is notoriously inaccurate at times. Many reference sources have quit linking to Wiki altogether. My favorite is when they listed American actor Tony Randall as an original member of Wishbone Ash
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

GoodKitty and squittolo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.