Phil Collins Face Value Japan [32XD-339 and 38XP-59]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mscoll, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

I think I need help to dispel my doubts. Below are scans of two Japanese releases:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phil Collins - Face Value, 38XP-59, ¥3,800
    Disc info: Silver disc with black text, non-target, Manufactured by JVC, clear rear try with 'Patent Pending'! Gold sticky OBI.

Phil Collins - Face Value, 32XD-339, ¥3,200
    Disc info: Pink background, black target and lettering. Black sticky OBI

Both releases comes with smooth-sided jewel cases.

I always thought the price of ¥3,800 means that the album was issued earlier than other issue with the price ¥3.200. A few weeks back I bought Face Value 38XP-59, ¥3,800. The album comes with an OBI and 'clear' CD try! The disc of this release was manufactured in Japan by JVC. Its a 'standard' Japan for USA release. OBI show ¥3,800 price!

So far I only had a 'Pink Target' and I always thought that was first Japaneses issue! OBI in this release show ¥3,200 price. So I am confused now :help:

32XD series was released before 38XP? Or maybe JVC release was the pressing of this title? But how come with clear CD try? Isn't CD clear try issued in late 80's or later?

So many questions :goodie:

2. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Phil Collins - Face Value, 38XP-59, ¥3,800
    Disc info: Silver disc with black text, non-target, Manufactured by JVC, clear rear try with 'Patent Pending'! Gold sticky OBI.

I would have expected a repackaged West German target CD in this one.

Joachim

3. progmog

progmog Senior Member

The 38XP was indeed issued before the 32XD. However, in the early days of CDs, and in the interests of getting product out quickly, the Japanese distributers would often "repackage" (i.e. stick an obi-strip on the jewel-case) West German-pressed CDs or CDs intended for the US (as in this case).

I've no idea about the clear case, but that may have been the way it was first issued in the US. Someone who owns an original US pressing should be able to confirm.

4. progmog

progmog Senior Member

No, not always. As well as 'Face Value', I used to own a 38XP of Emerson, Lake & Palmer's 'Trilogy' which was a repackaged Japan-for-USA CD.

5. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Thanks for the information!

Were always Japanese lyrics sheets added?

Joachim

6. I only have the 32XD but am a bit surprised that the 38XP would come with a clear tray. I can't think of any early CDs that had a clear tray, but I might be wrong.

7. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I can't say for certain as I bought all mine from second-hand CD stores in Japan. I had some with Japanese lyric sheets, and some without. However, those without may have originally included lyric sheets which were then lost.

8. mscoll

I don't think that clear try was replaced. The rear insert is printed from both sides. I think it was originally released with clear CD try. I forget to add that 38XP comes without additional Japanesse lyric sheet.

I also expect West German Target with this release.

9. mscoll

The CD tray have 'Patents Pending K04A' printed on it.

[​IMG]

I never seen an early album with both sides printed rear insert! When I removed the CD from the try I see back insert:) Nice

10. button

button Forum Resident

progmog is correct. The disc in the 38XP package was intended for the USA market.

I have this disc with the back cover artwork printed on both sides of the insert - see post below:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=4909457&postcount=22

It came with a smooth edge jewel case, but with a standard black tray (IIRC, the clear trays were first used in the late 1980s).

11. mscoll

This is first time in my life when I see something like this :) Thanks a lot for this! Is your copy comes with an OBI?

12. button

button Forum Resident

No OBI with mine as I bought it from the USA. The OBI was only attached to copies sold in Japan.

13. mscoll

So probably also exist copy of this title with West Germany disc inside? Am I right?

14. button

button Forum Resident

It's possible, but I'm not 100% certain. KeithH or Ralph may be able to confirm.

15. mscoll

Is someone able to tell in which year the 38XP series was released?

16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It may be interesting to note that the 38XP obi says 'Imported Disc' ! Appearently it indicates that the WG disc was expected to be included.

17. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

The 38XP was issued first. The 32XD pink target was issued later.

With one known (to me) notable exception, the XP series were simply repackaged discs that were originally supposed to be issued in countries other than Japan. For WEA family discs, that usually meant WG targets, but if those were not available, Japan-for-USA discs were often used, target pressings or plain silver discs, whatever was available. Usually, a Japanese lyric sheet was inserted, but not always. Take a look at chung197's eBay store, and you will find a few (pricey!) examples of Japan-for-USA discs in 38XP's.

I have a 38XP-59 with a WG target inside, so evidently, it was issued both ways. I can't locate my copy on a quick search, so I can't check to see if it has a Japanese lyric sheet. And since I have recently had to make a quickie move, most of my CD's are currently in storage, so it may take a while to find it, but if I do, I'll let you all know.

The clear tray has me puzzled. I can't recall a clear tray before the late 1980's, but the art on the inside would make more sense with a clear tray. I have never seen a Face Value with art on the inside before. Then again, I have never looked under the trays on my Japan-for-USA copies. Unfortunately, I think they are all in storage as well. :(

18. mscoll

Thanks a lot Ralph! I'll be waiting for your findings.

Thanks all of you guys.

Marius

19. button

button Forum Resident

Ralph, the art on the inside was very obvious as soon as I first opened the case, even with the black tray. The paper under the tray "teeth" was not the usual white.

20. ralph

ralph Forum Resident

I probably would have noticed that, so chances are I don't have one. I'll be on the lookout!

21. mscoll

I checked my collections today again and I must report it that I have two other Japan-for-U.S. release of this album. Also I verified the matix numbers of those releases. Here are my observations:

Disc from 38XP-59 release
    16029 2 M1 E11

Copy 1 (no barcode, printed in Japan)
    16029 2 S5 E15

Copy 2 (comes with barcode, printed in Japan)

16029-2R-U 1 C 23

The matrix number from 38XP release looks like very early copy, but I could be wrong!

22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Everything about that 38XP looks right (the "printed in Japan" font on the rear insert looks like a first press), except that clear tray. My gut instinct is that the tray was swapped out when the owner discovered the artwork on the insert. I remember I did that with the "Jump Back" Stones compilation that had inside artwork. I was here in Japan during the 80's and I swear I never saw a clear tray back in the 3800 Yen days.

Do they all have the artwork on the inside of the rear insert? Did they come with clear trays?

23. mscoll

No, these are have 'white' insert.

24. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

This whole issue of the clear trays and inner artwork on the tray card is fascinating. Like others here, I thought clear trays and inside artwork didn't emerge until the late 80s at least. I wonder if there are other examples of this besides the Phil Collins disc?

25. button

button Forum Resident

I'd agree with this. The top of the spine shows signs of having been handled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.