Phil Collins: Not Dead Yet- Live! 2017 European dates

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LivingForever, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Am I missing something, or is Phil's son really carrying the drums along w/ percussionist louis conte-- how can he be rocking it so steady on stage like that like never having done it before...what do you guys think

2. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Glad Phil can still do this. But yes, he's looking frail and weary. Happy memories from the Mama and No Jacket Required shows.

LivingForever likes this.
  3. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic Thread Starter

So of course having said multiple times in this and other threads that I wasn't going to go this time around, I checked the RAH website this morning for tonight's gig out of idle curiosity, and there it was - a ticket in Stalls G, right next to the stage. At Face Value. (Pardon the pun.)

As if fate were speaking to me, somehow the ticket ended up in my basket and the next thing I knew I was off to London for the gig.

My levels of scepticism about this entire tour have been sky high, and my expectations when I set off were pretty much rock bottom; but I have to say I had a great time.

Great songs performed extremely well by a band of absolute pros, including (much to my surprise) 16-year old Nic Collins on the drums - and one spot of piano (I won't spoil it for those who haven't been yet.)

Daryl, Brad, Leland, Luis and Ronnie were as excellent as ever, and it was nice to see Brigette Bryant and Arnold McCuller back for the first time since the Serious Tour in 1990.

As for the set list - well, it was never going to be a deep cut-fest, but I was glad to hear a few less obvious songs from the back catalogue amongst the "must-plays" and the Genesis song accompanied by old video clips of the band brought a tear of joy to my eye.

Now, I am normally quite sensitive to key and tempo changes made to accommodate aging vocalists, and let's be honest, there were a lot of those. Having said that, the atmosphere and the sheer joy of seeing Phil managing to get back on stage again after all these years, knowing what he's been through, helped carry us all along and forgive that, along with any flubbed lyrics or missed high notes.

All in all I am very glad I went, I would always have wondered what I'd missed if I didn't bother and it was the last chance...

keyXVII, snowman872, agn and 16 others like this.
  4. LivingForever

Oh, and apparently Tony Banks was in the audience tonight.

"He's trying to talk me into a 2018 tour..." said Phil (jokingly?)

agn, Runicen, krock2009 and 3 others like this.
  5. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

And tonight Mike Rutherford was in the audience!

I was there too - and was a great time despite the immobility of our host!

Disappointed not more Genesis though. I'll be seeing him again at Hyde Park.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

keyXVII, agn, fsutall and 7 others like this.
  6. LivingForever

Wow, great photos!

To be honest, 2 Genesis songs in the set is as many as he's ever played in a solo gig so I really didn't expect anything different.

keyXVII, agn, Cassiel and 2 others like this.
  7. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

keyXVII, Dog Ear, CBS 65780 and 3 others like this.
  8. LivingForever

Erm, seems like Phil had yet another fall in the middle of the night and now won't be able to perform at the remaining Albert Hall gigs.

:-/

This is a worrying development for anyone who read the autobiography. I wonder if there was any more sinister reason for this fall than they're letting on.

9. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

10. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

11. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

LivingForever and deany76 like this.
  12. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Worrying, but honestly, it's entirely within reason after his own descriptions of his self-abuse that he's just done so much damage to himself that it's the piper demanding his pay. Fingers crossed for a swift recovery in any event.

LivingForever likes this.
  13. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

They rearranged those shows very quickly!! I wonder if poor Phil just needs a break...

14. LivingForever

I'm a bit concerned. This is far from the first time something like this has happened to him over the last few years...

15. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

McCuller was on the Farewell tour, DITL tour and Both Sides tour.

16. Speedy Recovery to you Phil!

17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

The part I'm mostly concerned about is that it was being reported previously that he was more than capable of making a full recovery from his back surgery, but this "drop foot" issue is being made to sound like a permanent state of affairs.

Granted, he's not in his 30s, so it may be measured responses, but I'm half wondering if his physical state is worse than the publicity would have us believe. Sad if true.

18. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Glad I checked before I posted the link to the news article. This guy has zero luck.

zebop likes this.
  19. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Best wishes to Mr. Collins.

20. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

All is well.

keyXVII, Runicen and LivingForever like this.
  21. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

A magnificent performance in the Aviva Stadium in Dublin tonight. They seem to have decided to adjust the show for a standing stadium audience, and therefore presented it straight through with no interval. This meant that a few songs were dropped and the order was slightly rearranged. They may replicate this at Hyde Park.
    I think it's safe to say that everyone was impressed. Reviews of earlier shows had all been kind, even glowing, but I didn't expect his voice to be as good as it was on the night. The band were killer, of course. Even with the truncated set list, nobody should have felt short changed.

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Tour starts up again this week in the UK, including some postponed Royal Albert Hall shows.

Any word of this playing outside Europe? US was promised a year ago. Dec 3rd Birmingham his last ever full concert?

23. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

24. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I'd love to see a Phil and Peter Gabriel tour... now in their later years I think they could easily share a stage and sing.... Anyways, hoping he'll come to the US as its been far too long for me...last time was the 92 US tour.

Runicen likes this.
  25. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Is Phil's voice really that weak that he can no longer sing "Take Me Home" "Another Day In Paradise" in its original key? He never had trouble with those. Also, "Follow You, Follow Me" and "You Can't Hurry Love" are in the same key-G Major-yet the latter is brought down a step.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.