Phil Collins: Not Dead Yet- Live! 2017 European dates

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LivingForever, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Hope this means US dates soon

Benno123 and DiabloG like this.
  2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Not sure if this is entirely relevant, but his autobiography makes it sound like he made frequent use of steroid shots and the like to be able to sing during his heyday. Some of those "treatments" are why he's had so much trouble with his neck and back in recent years. Point being, I've heard plenty of horror stories about those treatment options shredding the voice by bypassing the body's natural healing mechanisms, causing more damage in the process.

keyXVII and Dukes Travels like this.
  3. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Dublin and London had stadium sized shows in 2016.

5th-beatle likes this.
  5. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

raphph likes this.
  6. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Yep - he sold out Hyde Park!

7. 5th-beatle

25,000 tickets were sold in 8 minutes during the pre-sale in Argentina.

8. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

He discussed a moment when Elton John was having the same issues in this section I think. I remember laughing at it. Something about EJ circling the venue in his limo. "i cant f***in do it, my voice has gone!" :D
    Phil was emphasising that he rarely cancelled shows, because he knew the cost involved. Especially the fans who had to get babysitters, accomdation etc. Much respect. He really does give everything hes got into his shows.

Runicen and Benno123 like this.
  9. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I truly think all of the 80s backlash eats away at him.
    All the crap he took over the last 25 years.......

keyXVII, pantofis and Runicen like this.
  10. Dukes Travels

Im not sure he'd sell out stadiums today. But there is a massive demand for him. I believe the UK shows went in something ridiculous like 20 mins. My hunch would be with proper promotion, yes.

5th-beatle likes this.
  11. Dukes Travels

Because its relentless and still occurs today. I cant think of another musician who has taken as much crap as him. There was even a petition to stop him coming out of retirement. :mad:

keyXVII, enro99 and Runicen like this.
  12. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Welcome to 2017, where everyone's got an opinion and most of them expect their opinions to be treated as gospel truth and obeyed accordingly. :rolleyes:

Remember when we could just disagree, argue, call each other names and break bread anyway? :D

Incidentally, anyone who thinks Phil is lame needs to listen to the drumming on The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Escalate to Brand X from there.

Anyone who thinks Phil is tame needs to listen to "Mama" and crank it!

13. Dukes Travels

Indeed to all of that. My ex wife dated a guy for about a week. He was an amateur drummer who never did f**k all with it his entire 40 odd years on earth.
    Apparently my PC obsession came up in conversation and he chimed in that "phil collins is a hack". Side splitting stuff :D

I'm rarely on here these days because theres far to many man babies who love hitting the report button when you critique them.

Runicen likes this.
  14. 5th-beatle

Phil's opening act for almost all of his Latin American shows has been announced: The Pretenders!

[​IMG]

Runicen likes this.
  15. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Or just watch this (especially around the the 3 minute mark)

keyXVII likes this.
  16. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

That's surprising stuff. It'd take a lot for me to go for that "report" button - not least of all when I can simply ignore people who really chap my posterior... Then again, see the post you quoted. If you're not of the flock, some people don't know how to handle that.

Speaking of the flock, I can't claim innocence when I used to be of the "Phil ruined Genesis" persuasion. Seriously, I still get a twinge of embarrassment thinking about that... :oops:

More than anything else, can I just state for the record how nice it is to see a promo of Phil where he's smiling again? I get that he's been through a lot, but there was a "dead man walking" vibe about some of the dour shots circulating when he first came out of retirement.

17. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

The book isn't a barrel of laughs when you get to the wilderness years, but he's still very self deprecating and while he didn't look great in any of the promotional material when those initial dates were announced, his onstage persona was terrific and his voice was incredible. I'm delighted he's able to sustain more shows. The concert I saw in the summer was arguably the most unlikely triumph of the year.

keyXVII and Runicen like this.
  18. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

So - can anyone provide some insight on the show for Puerto Rico? After what happened with the hurricane, it seems an odd place for a concert. Just on the face of it, such an announcement smacks of being 'tone deaf.'

19. 5th-beatle

Tickets sales for Phil's shows in Brazil will begin in 1 hour. I'm thinking about buying one (it's a unique opportunity, after all) but I'm also afraid of buying plane tickets and booking a hotel room and then having him cancel the tour due to health reasons. Check this out:

Phil Collins ‘rushed to hospital’ hours before UK show: ‘He really isn’t well’

Realistically speaking, what are the odds of that happening? Is he really in such poor health or is the media exaggerating?

20. 5th-beatle

Against All Odds, I decided to buy a ticket and hope for the best.
    Last time Phil was in Brazil was back in 1977, and the Pretenders last came in 1988, so it's a double unique opportunity.

21. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

So "coincidentally" they added dates later in the year as soon as the "hospital visit" had occurred, alongside the rescheduled dates, so I don't think he was ill at all - I think the promoter just wanted a reason to change the dates and add some extra shows.... And claim the insurance...

Whenever you see a picture of a Musician on Social Media in hospital or in a wheelchair (hello Clapton!) it's because they don't want fans to think they aren't rescheduling shows for spurious reasons...and also they want to look good for the insurance claim....

22. 5th-beatle

Sold out in Argentina. Brazilian concerts selling fast as well, remaining tickets should be gone soon.

23. 5th-beatle

One of the stadium concerts in Brazil (São Paulo, February 24) is sold out already, so I guess that's at least 40,000 tickets purchased.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  24. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

This doesn't surprise me as Phil's UK dates this year like the Royal Albert Hall and Hyde Park sold out in minutes. Proof that the general record buying public were more positively receptive to Collins than the critics were.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I looked up the "Rolling Stone" reviews for the 1st 3 Phil solo albums, and all were reasonably positive - none of them heavily praised the album, but they all indicated the albums were good.

I'm not sure critics hated Phil as much as the "public memory" connotes - at least not until the 2nd half of the 80s.

He may've suffered from the over-exposure backlash but I think the 1st 3 solo albums were fairly well-received - in the US, at least. I think 80s UK music scene tended to veer toward the "hipper than thou" sentiment more than 80s US music scene, so your UK-based mileage - or kilometerage! ;) - may vary!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.