Phil Collins re-issue campaign starting in January 2016*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peteham, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peteham

peteham Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

3. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I just saw the news and came here to post something about it. Seems great, as there are a lot of hidden treasures and b-sides in his catalogue. This would be a good outfit for them.

4. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Quite amused at all the comments on SDE praising the idea of a remaster...Why?! The original albums were beautifully recorded and mastered to begin with. I'm happy with my Virgin/Charisma vinyl thanks.

Ryan Lux, Grootna, Karnak and 7 others like this.
  5. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

I'm in if they include all the demos. I love that drum machine sound.

DiabloG and Bemsha like this.
  6. ReggieTheVaper

ReggieTheVaper Forum Resident

Fear not wise one...there be plenty of scope to make them sound awful with the remasters. But WOW, the extra tracks ! Game changer !

Ps I don't own any Phil Collins music...and I intend to keep it that way.

7. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Great that his solo albums gets some new attention. However, I really like how my original CDs sound. If the remastering is good, & the additional content is satisfying enough, I might go for it!

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
    Carlox likes this.
  8. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

I love Steve's AF CDs so the bonus material will have to be good to persuade me to double dip!

AndrewS and formu_la like this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Phil produced some viable pop music during the early-mid 80's. It isn't necessarily great music, was a bit formulaic, and a lot of it has been overplayed, but there is some good stuff on some of those albums. In particular, Face Value could be an intriguing reissue if the bonus content is interesting.

DoF, Karnak, forthlin and 1 other person like this.
  10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I HIGHLY DOUBT these remasters will beat our host's

'But Seriously' alone is one of the finest AF works ever. The difference with the original CD was astounding
    :wave:

formu_la and David Bostock like this.
  11. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I just can't believe there is much demand for this. Aren't his albums/CDs available for a few dollars? I really only liked the first album (and the second was decent, but overplayed back in the day).

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  12. peteham

peteham Senior Member Thread Starter

I think you mean the third one. The second album, apart from The Supremes cover, was shuffled off pretty quickly. And of course, there is a demand, from fans. Much like the Tull re-issues.

13. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I often find his 1980s vinyl output in the "previously enjoyed" bin.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  14. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

You're right -- it's the third album I'm thinking of.

15. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I love the AF releases and the Diament mastering of No Jacket Required, can't imagine any other masterings bettering any of those; but wasn't there a 5.1 mix in the bag of NJR? Would love to see that one finally surface.

HomerJAU likes this.
  16. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

I can only count 7 albums from Face Value to Testify. Is the 8th album Serious Hits or Going Back?

17. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

My guess would be Serious Hits Live. Could also be the Tarzan Soundtrack (if Warner acquired the rights to reissue.)

I would hope there is enough extra material to satisfy fans as I agree that the original cd's sound very good and would be hard to top. I don't think Both Sides needs any kind of remastering.

18. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

19. joeortonjr

joeortonjr Forum Resident

I'll break out the wallet as long as these reissues rescue fine lost b sides like "The Man With The Horn", "You've Been In Love (That Little Bit Too Long) and "For A Friend."

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Warner is trying to create demand. I have a slew of Atlantic and Virgin Collins CDs from the '80s and the Audio Fidelity gold CDs, but I will get the upcoming reissues if they have compelling bonus tracks.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

What about the Buster soundtrack?

;)

hi_watt likes this.
  22. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Apparently the 8th album is Going Back.

23. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Is Going Back suddenly not a real Phil Collins album anymore?

24. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Serious Hits could do with reissuing. The way it was mixed made it sound like a studio
    album with all the live atmosphere sucked out of it. Its like theres no audience there.

25. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

How many times can these titles get reissued and is there REALLY, that much interest??? Hey, I love most of those old P.C. albums and I would love for him to make one last "great" album with Tony & Mike, but Phil reminds me of Garth Brooks, he and his "solo" music just can't stay retired!

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.