Phil Collins re-issue campaign starting in January 2016*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peteham, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

How many here own the high rez remasters? I think they stopped before Both Sides, but....I guess I've just never rebought CDs. Bonus material is usually a one listen and file away thing for me, thus--not worth buying.

I guess I just don't really rebuy CDs unless I end up with some loud modern master of an old record....and I discover there was a Japanese CD issue in the 90s or something....

2. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

They have never been remastered in standard regularly-priced releases that is intended to replace the original releases. Those originals are still what's out there. There are bands and musicians much less popular than Phil Collins that remaster their albums.

aarsonbet and shaboo like this.
  3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I never thought (with no disrespect to our host) that they needed remastered when Steve Hoffman did them, to be 100% honest. The original CD's sound great, as far as I'm concerned and although I have read that Steve did wonders to "But Seriously", that was one album that I never much cared for by Phil.

4. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

This is my take on the subject as well. Plenty of other albums could use quality remastering instead of the Phil Collins titles which were so good from the start.

aarsonbet and Chris C like this.
  5. MikeVielhaber

The originals may sound good but a remaster campaign isn't always just about the remaster. It's about the complete package. Be it the actual physical package it comes in potentially including new liner notes or the additional bonus tracks, video content and/or surround mixes. Releasing these may drum up some new interest in Phil's music And give people a chance to reevaluate his music. I'm just saying from a marketing stand point there's more to it than just "the originals sound fine, there's no need to reissue them".

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

We're not talking about The Doors here. Hopefully we get some good bonus material with these reissues.

7. Chris C

I'm all for unreleased or rare (b-sides) with Phil's catalog, but, let's face the truth, that if Phil's reissues are treated the same way as the GENESIS catalog has been treated by Nick Davies, I have no personal interest, as they were not done very well, to be brutally honest.

aarsonbet likes this.
  8. Chris C

Well, I hear you and understand how you might feel, but, the word "remaster" or "reissue" have proven themselves fairly nasty and scary words to me, when it comes to old albums that I love and cherish, unless they are being remastered by the likes of Steve Hoffman or Vic Anesini. A "remaster" or "reissue" these days, seems to almost always equal "Too Loud" or "cheap added thrills" (bonus tracks or live cuts, that I will listen to once or twice)! If Phil really wants his own catalog to be a point of interest to anyone in 2015, the man needs to tour the world, playing his "greatest hits" and worthy "deep tracks" and the fans (new and old) will search out his catalog. In 2015, with barely a store shelf left to display them on, reissuing his catalog doesn't mean anything to anyone that isn't already a long-time fan, who is still following whatever Phil has left to say or sell!

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Agreed

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yes, there were 5.1's done (in 2004) for No Jacket Required along with Face Value and Hello I Must Be Going.

The only thing to truly entice me for these would be good mastering and bonus content (demos, live material). That being said, I have a bit of live stuff from the 1982/83 and 1985 tours. So...this would be a tough sell.

dobyblue likes this.
  11. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

From Pono:
    Randy Leasure (PonoMusic)
    Hi, Yes these albums are on schedule for a 10/23 release as of right now. (all subject to change with the labels scheduling etc) Thanks

12. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Couldnt care less about the remasters. We have great copies.
    Getting some of those great b-sides etc is exciting.
    I have yet to hear a decent copy of Man With The Horn. Id buy the package for that on CD alone.
    I really hope they don't get butchered but I fear for them when I hear official record company rhetoric like "attracting a new generation of fans" etc.

13. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

This may be seen as more of a vanity project, though I enjoyed it.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Agreed.

Chris C likes this.
  15. Chris C

This is news to me! Now THOSE I would buy and right now, bring 'em on Audio Fidelity!

kenbefound likes this.
  16. pool_of_tears

I used to be a moderator at the original Genesis forum from 2003-2008. Those first three were mixed to 5.1 back then. One More Night on the 2004 "Love Songs" compilation is the 5.1 mix down sampled to 2.0, if I recall everything correctly

17. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

The original pressing of "But Seriously" is an ear bleeder, waaaaay too much high end, and little to no bass. Steve did wonders to it, he even did his best to extend the ending of "Father To Son" that gets eaten up in the crossfade on the original CD.

18. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

I believe they were all ready to go, when Phil decided to retire, so they went into the vaults.

19. Dukes Travels

By Nick Davis?
    Never heard that before on the Genesis form.
    Thank f... that bullet was dodged then. :shake:

aarsonbet likes this.
  20. Dukes Travels

Was a member there up until the tour was over and the plug was pulled. After that company that Genesis handed the reins to came in and milked us all dry with promises of great tickets and a super duper fanclub.
    Damn shame because it was a popular place and had plenty of good discussion.
    Couldnt believe it when Phil started communicating with us on it. Even answered one of my questions. Then the Gabrielites upset him and he was off...

krock2009 likes this.
  21. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Not sure, it was on the Phil Collins forums.

Dukes Travels likes this.
  22. pool_of_tears

I completely forgot all about that. Those were the days. That was the same time I dropped out of the forum...when all of that nonsense happened.

That was a great forum, by the way. That was how I snagged many great sounding Phil and Genesis live recordings. There were some great people there.

LivingForever and Dukes Travels like this.
  23. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

I used to visit both forums. Phil answered tons of questions on his own forum.

24. MikeVielhaber

Yeah, that was a good forum. I enjoyed it and was disappointed when it folded. I tried another Genesis forum for a while, but never got into it much. I remember Nick Davis providing us with stereo versions of 5.1 only tracks from Genesis Live at the Rainbow. That was cool.

25. Dukes Travels

Yeah. It was never the same at other places. I tried a few too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.