Phil Ochs Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Jun 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone have any advice for a novice on Phil Ochs, both mastering and content. A performer I've heard of over the years, only heard one or two cuts, but have been reading about this past week, and am intrigued enough to want to hear more.

2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Hi reechie. I assume you're referring to CD format? Phil Och's best studio albums, IMO, were "I Ain't Marchin' Anymore" (1965, Elektra) and "Pleasures of the Harbor" (1967, A&M). I'm pretty sure these albums are available on CD; just not sure which label. As for a compilation, I would recommend the 1997 Rhino/Elektra 3-CD "Farewells & Fantasies". Remastered by Bill Inglot and lovingly assembled with insightful liner notes and lots of great pics.

Jim W.

3. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member

They're available on the Collectors choice label, last time I checked,
    they were on sale for around $10@. Sorry, I don't have their site's address.
    txguitar

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Phil Ochs

Phil's four A&M albums are all in current release from Collectors Choice ( http://www.collectorschoicemusic.com )

Pleasures Of The Harbor and Tape from California are on individual CDs. Rehearsals For Retirement and Gunfight At Carnegie Hall are combined onto a two-fer on a 2-CD set.

Though I've been an A&M fan for years, I've only recently gotten into Phil Ochs. His first A&M, Pleasures Of The Harbor has become a favorite of mine, while just this week, I picked up the other discs on sale at Collectors Choice. I'll be listening to them as my mood strikes me, but from what I've heard on the 20th Century Millennium disc, I'll be liking these too.

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The one Phil Ochs disc I listen to more than any other is "There and Now: Live in Vancouver". It wasn't released until 1990, and I'm not sure if there is a vinyl. The stripped down version of "Pleasures of the Harbor", complete with introduction explaining how it was inspired by The Long Voyage Home, is spellbinding.

Regards,

6. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Rehearsals For Retirement is my favorite, some pretty heavy stuff on this one. Next would be I Ain't Marching, and Live (the first one on Elektra). A very good songwriter who time seems to have passed by.

Jeff

7. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

If you can find one...the MoFi Gunfight At Carnegie Hall (MFCD-794) is very good. Part of the original aluminum series. He does some nice tributes to Buddy Holly and Elvis on this one as well as others tunes that you'd associate with Ochs.

8. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

For an overview of Ochs' A&M career, there is an excellent 2-CD set (140 minutes in length) entitled "American Troubadour." It was released by A&M/England in 1997, but I believe it is still available. It has most of the best A&M album tracks and a few songs otherwise unavailable on CD. Sound is excellent; seems like the master tapes were mastered flat.

I also highly recommend the "Gunfight" album/CD, Phil's version of Dylan's "Live 1966" in that Phil brings some rock & roll to the table, and many in the audience start booing. Phil was in good form that night. The now-deleted MoFi version has excellent sound; haven't heard the Collectors Choice version, but they normally do flat mastering from master tapes. There website is http://www.collectorschoicemusic.com/.

For an overview of his Elektra years, try "There But For Fortune," almost 70 minutes in length. It came out on CD in 1989 and may be deleted. Mostly just Phil and acoustic guitar, but some of his most political songs. Generally good sound reproduction; no complaints on my part. I know his Elektra albums are now available on CD but I forget the label (not Elektra).

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

Gee, looks like the Rhino box set's already out of print. :(

Thanks for the recommendations, everybody. :righton:

10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

There are two got compilations on Phil that were put out around 89. The first one is "There are but Fortune" which was released on Elektra and cover's his first three albums (All the new, I ain't marching and In concert). The second is "The best of Phil Ochs" and covers the A&M years. If you have a TT there was a 2 LP compilation released in 76 on A&M that remains one of my favorites'. Phil all released a number of albums on the Broadside label. That may be available through the Library of Congress. These feature many of his songs done in a rawer form. If I was to choice two of his original releases for recommendation they would be "In Concert" and "Pleasures of the Harbor". Unlike others I would not recommend "Gunfight at Carnegie Hall". This does not represent Phil at his best. Here is a complete discography of his recordings.

LP's
    I AIN'T MARCHING ANYMORE
    ALL THE NEWS THAT FIT TO SING
    IN CONCERT
    PLEASURES OF THE HARBOR
    REHEARSLS FOR RETIREMENT
    TAPE FROM CALIFORNIA
    BROADSIDE SONGS
    GREATEST HITS
    GUNFIGHT AT CARNAGIE HALL
    ANTHOLOGY

CD's