Phil Spector News

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by npc145, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npc145

npc145 music junkie Thread Starter

Just as a new version of the Beatle's "Let
    It Be" is being readied for release by
    removing Phil Spector. It Looks like Los
    Angeles police are gearing up to remove
    him from the street.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 19 — Sheriff’s
    detectives say they have concluded that
    legendary record producer Phil Spector
    was responsible for the shooting death of
    an actress and have submitted their
    findings to prosecutors.
    “IT’S NOT AN accident. It’s not a suicide,”
    Capt. Frank Merriman told the Los
    Angeles Times in a story for Friday
    editions. “Phil Spector shot her.”
    No immediate decision was expected on
    whether criminal charges would be filed,
    said Sandi Gibbons, a spokeswoman for
    the district attorney’s office.
    Spector, whose “wall of sound” recording
    technique transformed 1960s pop music,
    was arrested Feb. 3 for investigation of
    murder after the body of 40-year-old Lana
    Clarkson was found in the foyer of his
    hilltop Alhambra mansion. He was
    released after posting $1 million bail.
    Spector, 62, suggested in an Esquire
    magazine interview in July that Clarkson,
    an actress and hostess at the House of
    Blues, may have shot herself, but sheriff’s
    investigators said in March that they
    discounted suicide.
     A member of the Rock and Roll Hall of
    Fame, Spector has worked with such
    artists as the Beatles, Ramones,
    Shirelles and Ronettes, and has
    produced such pop music classics as
    “Da Doo Ron Ron,” “Then He Kissed Me,”
    and “To Know Him is to Love Him.”

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Phil Spector worked with The Shirelles? Not in this lifetime he didnt.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The press gets things wrong all the time unfortunately as we all know.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

This is certainly not good news for Phil Spector, but keep in mind that police and prosecuters seeking to press charges will not typically hedge when they say they believe someone is guilty of a crime. If they show any sign of reasonable doubt, it can be assumed that the jury will as well.

Regards,

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Still waiting for some actual facts on this one.

6. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I wonder if the pending homicide charges will have Phil thinkin' it's high time "Da Doo Ron Ron?" :winkgrin:

:cheers:
    Cat

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It would be a real shame if Phil Spector were to have to spend the rest of his life in prison for a murder conviction.

If he didn't shoot that poor woman, then "Let It Be-Naked" might have sent him over the edge!

Evan

8. Tim Wright

Tim Wright New Member

What a shame!

9. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

He met her on a monday and her heart stood still...

10. RetroSmith

He Hit Me and It Felt Like A kiss......

11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Who couldn't see this coming? He had a history of playing with guns and even menacing people with them under the influence of drugs and alcohol and somebody ends up dead in his house. It's nice to recognize his production genius but let's also remember a tragedy that appears to be of his own doing. It's doubtful he would be facing a trial now if his intoxicated gunslinging hadn't been excused because of his legend all these years. Great artists aren't always great people.

12. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

" Great artists aren't always great people."
    Pity he is not even a great artist! C'mon. this is a guy that hasn't mattered since 1963!

The wall of sound is just using over 50% echo return on a mix anyway...
    He stole credit for " his" most successful record "Unchained Melody". Bill medley produced it. It was the B side to "Hung on you" and when that flopped DJ's flipped it over. Original pressings credit Medley...
    Johnny Ramone summed it up perfectly:
    "What is Phil spector other than two bodyguards,one wig and four guns"

13. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

:thumbsup:

14. Mike

Mike New Member

Since I predicted that Phil would probably not be charged, I hereby relinquish my Nostradamus Award and humbly apologize to the Academy. <sob>

15. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Yes, but you still have that cowbell! :)

- jeff

16. Mike

Mike New Member

You can do anything but lay off a my blue suede cowbell. :D

17. RetroSmith

True about the Wall of Sound being Basically, 50% echo return.

Remember the old consoles had a primitive type of echo send. As you turned up the echo, the music signal turned DOWN proportionally. Thats all over the Spector records, and theres no secret there.

I experimented with getting tthe "Spector Sound" back in the 80s. Since I played drums, I worked a lot with that and I got to the point where I could duplicate the Drum sound on all the classic records. So I've never been one of those people that thinks Spector is a genius. For one thing, he had Larry Levine at Gold Star who knew that studio inside and out (what little there was to know). HE'S really the guy who got the sound.

18. Mike

Mike New Member

Don't you think there is a difference between duplicating and originating? The guy who came up with the idea had an original thought. That's the hard part. Anyone can be a copycat after the fact.

19. From Internet Movie Database (IMDB) People News, November 3, 2003.

Phil Spector's Bail Extended Again

Record producer Phil Spector's $1 million bail has been extended a second time, while the district attorney's office considers whether to charge him in the shooting death of an actress at his home in February. Spector, 62, who is currently free on bail, has denied he killed Lana Clarkson, suggesting in a recent interview in Esquire magazine that she may have shot herself. The decision to extend Spector's bail to January 9 was made between lawyers and the judge in Spector's case, says Los Angeles Superior Court spokesman Allan Parachin. In a report submitted on September 16, sheriff's detectives concluded Spector shot Clarkson. Spector was arrested February 3 after the body of Clarkson, 40, was found in the foyer of his Alhambra, California, mansion.

I wonder what is the holding up the DA from laying formal charges. :confused:

So Phil, your thoughts on Let It Be...Naked? Probably not at the top of his priority list right now.

20. RetroSmith

Specs

>>>>>>Sure, thats true, but Spector also DIDNT create, out of nothing, the concept of a heavy sounding, echo laden record with all the sounds melding into each other to form a "ball" of sound. He may have molded the concept into a commercial success, but give Larry Levine the credit on how it got done at Goldstar.

Electronic Music Producers had been doing this kind of thing since Hi Fidelity tape recorders became available in 1950.

Another thing Spector gets credit for is the first use of Overdubbing on a pop record, i.e. the instros on "To Know Him".

Hogwash.

Les Paul was doing this in 1948, and RCA Studios right here in Manhattan regularly overdubbed vocals using two mono machines beginning in 1951. I have the records to prove it, with obviously overdubbed vocals. There are even Glen Miller 78s where the vocals by "The Modernaires" were added later, and that places overdubbing at 1945 at least .

Besides all this, I have ALWAYS felt the Spector records sold because of the talent of the ARTISTS. Ronnies vocals on the Ronettes records sold those songs, not the studio. Hal Blaines innovative drumming propelled a lot of those records onto the charts with their irresistable beat.

And the Rightgous Bros were a success with or without Spector. They hit the national charts before AND after their time with Spector. Their vocal interplay is what sold their records to the public. Thats why MGM paid a FORTUNE to them and didnt ask Spector to produce them for MGM.

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Actually, i'm impressed by the way the LA law enforcement have handled this case. And, the media pretty much allowed them to do their job. I'm sure when rules of discovery are followed, we will find out more.

Or, what don't I know about this?

22. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Exactly...and I am reserving any judgement until such a time occurs.

23. Mike

Mike New Member

All excellent points Mikey. :thumbsup:

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Not if he is guilty of murder.

Why do people feel sorry for celebs who comit serious crimes?

25. RetroSmith

Spec

>>>>>>I totally agree. Like OJ wasnt capable of murder because he was in the movies wearing the 70s afro wig. Amazing how people think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.