Phil Spector - The Philles Album Collection | Opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jazzis, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

The Ronettes album is a classic.
    The first Crystals LP is underrated as well.

2. Cisum

Cisum Forum Resident

3. Does this box make the older Back To Mono box set irrelevant?

4. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It's marketed as such, however BTM contains lots that this set doesn't. As stated before, this is an "Album Collection", so singles not on the albums listed won't be here. Don't throw out your BTM, but do pick this up.

5. Cisum

Cisum Forum Resident

Has anyone else noticed that "I love you Eddie" kind of stops without fade on the "he´s a rebel" album?

6. It's very abrupt. Is it not meant to?

7. houston

houston Forum Resident

I would throw out Back to Mono....the essential Spector 2-disc set can fill some gaps, and the Darlene Love cd can...no need to hang on to the bad-sounding songs from the past

8. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Are you saying every time he cut a song in the studio he was thinking it was a potential single? I find that hard to believe as there are certainly some tracks on the Bob B Soxx LP which sound like filler to me. I mean, he had to have figured some of those songs would end up on LPs.

9. I would also say to get rid of that terrible sounding Back To Mono box, but keep the great booklet that came with it. I'm sure there's more to come .

10. Cisum

Cisum Forum Resident

yes and on "twist uptown" it has a fade. I wonder how the original "he´s a rebel" album sounded like

11. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Not necessarily always, but primarily. Obviously he had to run tape for experiments and B-sides. The Bob B Soxx LP is a mish mash of all the above, and if nothing else showcases many facets of the lead singers rather than a collection of released and rejected A-sides. Not that that excuses some of it from being actual filler despite intent lol

Phil's overarching business plan with Philles was to create a sound which would send fifteen consecutive singles into the Top 10, and in doing so give artists classic songs which would go on to become standards because they would be incorporated into their (superstar) acts as long as they performed.

Despite his very best efforts with all the acts he discovered, he failed where Motown succeeded: The Crystals were no Supremes and fizzled. Darlene Love may have been The Queen of Philles but has never been able to sell records let alone become a superstar. Ditto Bob B Soxx, and The Ronettes LP was the last hurrah for The Ronettes.

The Righteous Brothers however did live up to Phil's plan, and Ike & Tina were signed because they actually had an established act. While they may have failed on Philles in the US, "River Deep" was the song that propelled them to international superstardom and they in turn kept the song going for the rest of their time as an act and helped it become the rock standard it is.

Philles may have covered the timespan between a singles-only market and the growth of the LP, but apart from ACGFY making or selling albums as was never a priority of the label, and that LP's secondary purpose was to underscore the entire Philles artist roster as a confederation of future superstars. :)

12. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I have saved these songs from the box:
    Crystals - Girls Can Tell
    Curtis Lee - Under The Moon Of Love
    Darlene Love - Chapel Of Love
    Ronettes - Keep On Dancing
    Ronettes - Soldier Baby Of Mine
    Ronettes - Woman In Love (With You)

But I have only the three "best of" album from Darlene Love, Crystals and Ronettes plus "Essential Phil Spector".

13. The Best sounding Under The Moon Of Love by Curtis Lee is the Ace cd of the early Phil Spector Productions Cd , Ace 1253, Pretty Little Angel Eyes also on this cd sounds so much bettter then the recent Spector 2 cd set.

14. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I own the Back to Mono set and a few of the comps which were released by Sony/Legacy last year. But I had to have this set, and I love it, although I will not throw out my previous sets.

I absolutely love the packaging of this set and the album graphics.

15. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I'm sure you know his son Denny has made a film on the Wrecking Crew, which I can't wait to see.

17. I have a vinyl rip and it fades.

18. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

I've heard of it but was unaware it was in distribution. I definitely WOULD see it if available.

19. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Wrecking crew.tv.

20. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Does anyone know why if The Philles Album Collection is ordered as an import it's half the price of the domestic USA release?

21. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

The price on this keeps dropping in the Amazon Marketplace. It's available now for $23 shipped.

22. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

I wonder if this title isn't selling well. Extremely good price. Maybe it will get even better soon?

23. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

It might but that was low enough for me.

24. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Ordered my copy of this from Amazon UK. Is it the same box/packaging as the domestic version? A UK review stated the CDs came with paper inner sleeves in addition to the individual cardboard mini-LPs. Does the US version also contain said paper inner sleeves?

25. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I have a general question about Spector's recordings. Even if they totally saturated the tape with sound, given the fact that, according to Steve, the masters of some of these recordings are up to 5 generations removed from the original seesion recording, shouldn't I hear some tape hiss at some point? And if I don't hear any hiss because it was filtered out in the CD mastering, I then have to ask: was it really a good idea to do that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.