Philadelphia Music Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by JeffMo, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic Thread Starter

A good friend of mine is visiting Philly this weekend to catch the New Order concert, and wants to know if there are any good music stores for new/used cds, vinyl, dvds, etc.

Any suggestions?

2. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Long in the Tooth, 2027 Sansom St. in Center City (downtown).

Don't be put off by the negative Yelp reviews. I'm a decidedly uncool 50-something who doesn't even buy much these days, but the owners have always been great to me.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  3. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah I've gotten some good deals in there. That's my favorite place in the city limits. Inner Grooves in Collingswood, NJ is just a quick train ride over the bridge and they have some good stuff too.

izgoblin, JeffMo and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  4. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Hmm..I'm from the area and I usually just to to Prex..lol

AcidPunk15 and BlueTrane like this.
  5. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

rockerreds, wgb113 and JeffMo like this.
  6. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

And there is a new joint in your old town Haddonfield. Have you been there yet?

Haddonfield Record Exhange 415 N Haddon Ave, Haddonfield, NJ 08033 haddonfieldrecordexchange.com (856) 281-9410

7. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I was there the same day I went to Inner Grooves and thought it was hit or miss compared to Inner Grooves. The Haddonfield place had overpriced big name artists, like $35 for an old beat up copy of Young Americans, no thanks.

8. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Will this friend have a car? There's a lot of options in the NJ suburbs, especially if you consider Princeton a suburb (Google says it's just an under an hour - 46 miles - from Center City to the Princeton Record Exchange).

9. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

If you must come to Collingswood, be sure to hit the Pop Shop for breakfast or lunch.

Lonesurf and izgoblin like this.
  10. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

I love Beautiful World Syndicate on Passyunk in South Philly...except I think they close on Saturdays and Sundays now

ted321 likes this.
  11. JeffMo

Yes, but limited time around visiting family and the concert, plus long drive home the next day. Was hoping for spots close to Penn and Tower theater areas.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

13. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

not around your ideal target area, but positively records in levittown might have some gems for ya.

alylemoss likes this.
  14. majorlance

Used to love that place back in the late 90s/early 00s, but the increasingly un-curated stock (a lot of junk there) & impassable aisles made it a case of diminishing returns not worth the 1-hour drive for me. Probably haven't been there in 5 years or so — has anything changed?

15. majorlance

Great food, but a little too kid-friendly for me. (It gets loud in there!)

marblesmike and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  16. Bender Rodriguez

Well we do have a Sabrina's Cafe now, too. Also a great breakfast/lunch spot.

Bill likes this.
  17. JeffMo

Since I'm not exactly a newbie, I did actually use the search engine and it brought up two old (and closed threads). I love SHF but the search engine leaves much to be desired.

Thanks for the additional links though!

18. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

I hear ya. I was there about a year ago, and it was the first time in about five years - for pretty much the same reasons, mostly the stagnation in inventory. They had a few vinyl bins going (which they didn't have before), but the lps were only old, used stuff, and not in the best condition. Not PREX by a long shot. The blues CDs, tucked away on the ground in the middle aisle, always seemed to be covered in cat litter. o_O

19. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

wow, there's so many more record stores than when I was living there! When i was going to PCA, ca. 1980, my FAVE store in the world was the old Third Street Jazz.....their downstairs was narrow and long-ish, but i bought TONS from there......sadly when i went back again after living here in Boston it had really spiffed itself up, and then it was gone.....some great choices when i ever get back down tho!!!!! Sorry for the interruption!!!

20. alylemoss

alylemoss Forum Resident

I was in Positively Records a few weeks ago, for the first time in years, and was pleasantly surprised at the used CD and box set selection. They have a 4 CDs for $20 deal that felt pretty decent ... quite a few things I found that beat Amazon's plus-shipping used price. Not the world's best organized store, for sure. But walked away glad I stopped in.

21. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

Lots of great options for food in your hood.
    :)

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  22. modrevolve

Milkcrate cafe on girard has great breakfast and a very nice selection of new and used vinyl in the basement..

zphage, JeffMo and izgoblin like this.
  23. modrevolve

Main Street Music in Manayunk is a nice little shop..to me nothing will ever beat Spaceboy Records that was on South Street.

seaisletim and JeffMo like this.
  24. JeffMo

Added bonus to get all these food recommendations. I guess I should add my friend is a vegetarian! :)

25. Bender Rodriguez

Sabrina's offers extensive vegetarian and vegan options.

JeffMo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.