Philadelphia Music Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by JeffMo, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Agreed, that's a unique combo. They even have turntables you can test stuff out on if you haven't heard it before. They're not exactly filled with gems, but I have gotten a few great albums for very reasonable prices there.

2. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I've been to the one in Medford - great grilled cheese creations!

And have eaten at Bistro DiMarino in Collingswood, though that was a few years ago now. It was pretty decent.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  3. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

And Bistro di Marino, as good as it is, isn't even close to being the best Italian in the area! (IMO that goes to Tres Famiglia a mile down the road in Haddonfield, but there are four or five other great places on Haddon Ave.).

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  4. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Forgot, we've also been to Nunzio's a couple of times in Collingswood - most recently for NY's Eve about 2 yrs ago. That one is better, I think. I'll have to give Tres Famiglia a try some time, thanks for the rec.

We've eaten in Haddonfield too - last time was at Fuji.

mdm08033 and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  5. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

My home away from home. The best

mdm08033 likes this.
  6. joejoe

joejoe Forum Resident

Gold Million Records 851 W LANCASTER AVE,BRYN MAWR, PA 19010 is just a bit outside the city. I believe the New Order show is at the Tower Theater so the shop is about 6 miles from there. Good selection of new and used. Some stuff a bit pricey depending on what you're looking for. Home »

JeffMo likes this.
  7. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

All of it is a bit pricey..

marblesmike likes this.
  8. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

If your friend is driving from New England,just a note that Allentown's Double Decker Records is open Saturday from 11AM to 6PM and is about an hour+ a few minutes from Upper Darby,where the Tower Theater is located(and where I was raised-back then,the Tower was a dump of a movie house). Lots of vinyl. Lots of punk. Facebook,Tumblr and Instagram presence so you can see what has come in up to the minute. CDs may be kinda scare as current batch is leaving the building Friday so the restock($3 each set)may be kinda low,but the store is packed with vinyl. Stay away from the steak sandwich shop across the street(and do not park there)but there is a tiny bodega just a few feet away with outstanding,authenitic freshly prepared Mexican food,though it does have a limited menu. A good diner on nearby Lehigh St. as well as the usual fast food joints,convenience stores,including a big Wawa(the Philly area's biggest gas and go place).
    If they're going to eat near the Tower,check out Pica's Restaurant on Rt.3(aka West Chester Pike)-about fifteen minutes away-great unusual pizza(oblong,thin crust with sauce on top of the cheese) and full Italian menu. Tina Fey's favorite and mine,too.

HGN2001, JeffMo and zphage like this.
  9. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

I go to Positively Records all the time. I'm a CD guy and the store can definitely be hit or miss for CD's. They have a much slower turn over than PREX.

However, they definitely have increased their vinyl. They have quite a bit of both used and new vinyl now. About 10 years ago they had virtually no vinyl.

They also have about a zillion DVD's which I believe are 2 bucks a pop.

JeffMo likes this.
  10. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

My second-favorite sushi place in the area, but sadly he recently sold it to one of his staff and it hasn't been quite the same since.

If you like Indian food I can't say enough about Inde Blue. Just fantastic.

Aggie87 likes this.
  11. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

vinyl section continues to grow. i mostly go for the used CDs. i did purchase a vinyl blackstar the day of release (last copy). a lot of times you have to reach down underneath to find what you're looking for. now that i pay attention to different masterings, i use the store to back-fill my library with older catalog releases. i live in bensalem, so its only a 15-20 min drive for me. i don't know of anything better that's closer aside from driving into the city. didn't realize there was a record exchange on frankford ave. in the northeast...might have to give that a shot.

12. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Sounds like they're now carrying new vinyl, in addition to the old. Nice. I may have to stop in.

13. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

"Long in the Tooth" and "HipCity Veg" are blocks away from each other... and both are minutes away from Penn.
    Google them and branch out from there.

JeffMo likes this.
  14. This is near the Tower, mostly vinyl, not really a browsing store, but a want list store
    also plenty of very reasonable South American and Mexican restaurants nearby
    Val Shively's R&B Records »

JeffMo likes this.
  15. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Lots of bootlegs and picture discs there the last couple times I've been there, so not my top choice. There are a couple smaller shops in the Hatboro area if you look via Google. I got a NM copy of the 1978 UK white vinyl White Album at one of the places a month ago for $75.

And FWIW, PREX hasn't been good in over 5 years. It might be one of the most picked-over selections in the area.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  16. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I guess I should mention the FYE (previously Tower Records) that is on Broad St a block south of City Hall. They do have a vinyl section. Most likely current stuff and remasters, but maybe they buy used these days too.

17. modrevolve

Hit City Veg is the bomb..
    There is also The Marvelous in West Philly..

zphage likes this.
  18. It depends seasonally: 1st and 2nd Qtr usually are depleted, builds during 3rd quarter, and full during 4th quarter. During the week is better than weekend. Barry no longer owns it, but he is on the road picking up collections he now brings in.

Also check out Princeton alum's Jupiter Records, three locations

and Siren, Doylestown

19. marblesmike

Tre Famiglia is one of the best Italian restaurants in the entire Philly area. And not in a spaghetti-kinda way. Sapori in Collingswood is also another great Italian spot.

As for Philly record stores, I'm down the street from Milkcrate Cafe and have NEVER been there. Judging by the area I kinda assumed it was a hipster hangout and wouldn't have the kind of records I'd be mostly interested in. What genres do they specialize in?

There's also a record/head ship in the Piazza in Northern Liberties not too far from there called Creep Records which has some decent stuff but again based on the area is definitely a hipster spot. They carry mostly emo/indie releases with a spattering of classic rock/metal. My girlfriend vapes so it's nice that I can look at records while she looks at juice.

Not trying to be a jerk with the hipster usage. Heck, I'm 30 and live in the city AND I listen to records so maybe I'm a hipster too, although I'm not really into the indie/emo thing.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    majorlance and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  20. modrevolve

I was just at Jupiter tonight. Scored a couple of Ride vinyls at the Delaware store last time I was there. This time nothing. They are shipping most of their stock to their new store in Jersey. They also imho play the worst selection of music when shopping for vinyl. It drives me freakin insane.

21. modrevolve

The guy who runs Beautiful World Syndicate is a really great dude. I've found a few gems there over the year. Its also in a very pleasant part of town.

This was Prex's update on 3/3
    "Massive mostly classical rock LP collection hitting the racks! Over 3,500 super-clean titles, mostly 80's pressings...Argent to Zappa and everything in between!
    2,000 out now, and much more to come..."

For all its faults I really enjoy that store. Except when people are lying in the aisles looking for dollar bargains and you can't get through. I try to go during the week otherwise I get frustrated because of the overcrowding.

I too will be at the New Order show. Hope your friend has a good time!

22. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

It's right at the corner of Broad & Chestnut Sts. I go there every time I go into Center City, since I'm from the Northeast and don't get a chance to go down there much.

I'm actually glad I found this thread, as the used music stores I loved going to have all seemed to close. There was one called AKA music that was on 2nd Street for years and then moved to 3rd Street early last year, but I believe it's closed now. (Unless it moved and I don't know its new location). There were also a few on South Street I went to fairly often that are gone as well. It's good to know there's some more left I didn't know about.

23. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

I seriously disagree with you regarding PREX. They have a very high turnover in stock. Multiple times a day, stock is put out. They also periodically reduce the price of items that have been sitting around for awhile.

24. marblesmike

When I first got into vinyl back in 2010 or so I was consistently finding decent stuff there. However slowly it got to the point where it seemed picked over and it was diminishing returns each time I went. I work during normal business hours Monday-Friday so getting there during the week isn't really a possibility for me anymore, as it's a good 50 minute trek up there.

All I'm saying is that it's not the best record store that it once was to the area. Mind you, I'm mostly concerned with vinyl, so I couldn't give two craps if their tape/CD/DVD selection is great. That might be their saving grace. But for vinyl selection in top condition? Give me Long in the Tooth in Philly or Vintage Vinyl in North Jersey or Inner Grooves in Colllingswood. I almost always find something of interest in those shops. The last few times at PREX, not so much.

25. You would have loved it there in the 80s and 90s, when the whole store was vinyl(though a little smaller store space) and the specialized vinyl only red hand trucks for big spenders to wheel around the store. :righton:

You need to get up to Double Decker in Allentown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.