Phillips 7961

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IABINDER, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IABINDER

IABINDER New Member Thread Starter

Hello, new to the forums but have always had an interest in vintage audio! I needs some help on set up! I have just acquired a Phillips 7961 stereo reciever after my Yamaha CR-640 died. The reciever works great, but I have a question about speaker hook up. The speaker terminals on the back are; R, C, C, L per channel. What does the "C" stand for. And how do i hook it up?

2. IABINDER

IABINDER New Member Thread Starter

3. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

I would bet that it stands for "Common", another name for ground.

Rolltide likes this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

"C" is common as in Ground aka -.

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Think of the first "R and C" (side by side) as "+ and -" for the right speaker, and the "C and L" as "- and +" for the left speaker, I would assume.

That's a very handsome receiver, likely well-built and good sounding. Congrats on a bit of an off-the-radar purchase.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, Matt. Correct terminology.

MLutthans likes this.
  7. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Congrats on the fine sounding SS receiver

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Is there any connection between these 1970s Made-in-USA Philips receivers and the Sylvania (GTE) receivers that came just before them? I know that at some point Sylvania, Magnavox, and Philips were all part of NAP -- North American Philips, HQd in Tennessee, IIRC.

My brother had one of these for a few years, purchased new: Vintage Sylvania: Receivers: RS-4744

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.