Phish Billy Breathes RSD vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clucking, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life Thread Starter

what are the opinions on this one’s sound? Cut from a mid 90s DAT my expectations were somewhat lowered, it does sound as good as I could have hoped for considering. One thing: I’m getting quite a bit of sibilance, not something I hear frequently on my well-calibrated system. Anyone else with this issue? Mine is #7080.

2. glide

glide Forum Resident

I plan on spinning mine today. I will say the packaging and presentation does not seem on par with previous releases. Also surprised they didn’t do a colored vinyl for the RSD edition.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Someone's making a lot of money on Phish vinyl. A lot of these titles are pricey.

Pretty sure it was cut from CD, 44.1/16. This was the title I got whacked on from eBay. I can't wait to get mine.
    In Florida (where I was), the crowd ws fairly thick and the 3 copies went to 0 in seconds.

chris45set likes this.
  4. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Listening to my copy of BB. Very nice. I heard a banjo at the end of Waste that I haven’t heard before, and I’ve owned the CD for so many years (maybe I wasn’t paying attention?)

fluffskul likes this.
  5. Clucking

I read somewhere (here?) that it was mastered from the original mix-down 44.1/16(so yes, CD-quality) DAT

6. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

side three, ftw :D

i think it sounds just as good as the rest of the re-releases.

7. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Is this one mastered by Chris Bellman again?

8. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I like it but not as good as prior releases imho.

9. I got shut out on RSD. I wonder when the regular release will be?

10. Cardinals

Cardinals Forum Resident

Yes, I get horrible sibilance with each LP :shake:, whether I use my Denon DL-110 or Stanton 681eee with Jico shibata.

Yes, his initials are in the deadwax.

fluffskul and Clucking like this.
  11. Megalomani

Megalomani Member

Just gave a listen and my discs have none of the sibalence others are hearing. Was listening for it and expected to hear in waste and train song and did not. Lots of quiet passages with vocal ssss,sts,shs and did not hear it. However the run out after Train Song sounded like a rubber tire skidding on pavement for a brief second. The music sounds good, but lacks depth and warmth that vinyl often brings. I think I like the cd mastering better right now. Still a little confused why they left one side blank.

12. SkyblueSky

SkyblueSky Well-Known Member

Second time through with a more critical ear and yes, I am hearing the aforementioned sibilance issues and some clipping (Ortofon Black cart).

Was this their first time recording at the Barn? Wondering if the source is the problem...or just re-mastered hot.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Fullbug likes this.
  13. Clucking

Pretty sure it was just remastered hot - this wasn't present on the CD that I played a billion times in college.
    I'm using the Ortofon Bronze - nice cart, I know I can upgrade it to the Black stylus but I'm pretty happy with it as-is.

SkyblueSky likes this.
  14. SkyblueSky

With today's announcement that BB will have a wider release in October, I was reminded that I previously contacted the fine Phish folks regarding sibilance issues on my RSD copy. They were great and sent me a new copy...jacket and all (not numbered). Unfortunately, it had the same sibilance issues as the RSD version. I'm cautiously optimistic that this October release will have fixed the sibilance issues but the realist in me knows it's the same version they sent me post RSD. I dunno...I love this album and it's disappointing that the two copies I have are splashy. I don't think it's an issue with my setup either...all other records play fine, including all other Phish releases (I don't have OG Farmhouse or Ghost). I expect greatness for $50. As of right now...I'll stick with the CD when going down memory lane.

Clucking and Fullbug like this.
  15. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Getting high will do that to you! :biglaugh:

Ivand likes this.
  16. Batman21

my billy breathes is fine but lemme ask you this - on ur lawn boy, do you have sibilance after the whistling part of reba? only spot on mine that has it and it drives me crazy.

17. SkyblueSky

Just pulled out Lawn Boy and gave it a spin. Sounds amazing but yeah...Trey's Ss are splashy in that one particular spot.

The difference between analog tape and DAT is staggering.

Cassius and Clucking like this.
  18. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

If I am not mistaken even the download that came with Lawn Boy had that same spitty sound to the Ss around there. “Ssell it to the butcher in the sstore”

Batman21 likes this.
  19. Batman21

thank you, feels nice to not be alone.

SkyblueSky likes this.
  20. jslcaballo

jslcaballo Oh the ritual when I lay down your crooked arm

Getting repressed. Release is 10/26 for all of those that missed out on RSD

IanL likes this.
  21. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Received mine last week and just cleaned it. First listen now. I agree with others that this is limited by the source. Sounds nothing like the earlier Picture of Nectar and earlier vinyl reissues in the series, which are pretty spectacular. On the bright side, The sibilance doesn’t sound as bad as some described of the earlier pressing (though there is some). Overall a much better listen than the CD despite its limitations.

Clucking and jslcaballo like this.
  22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Has anyone picked up the recent 2019 pressing? I'm really on the fence as to whether I need this on vinyl... given the price and its digital sourcing (it was never recorded analog).

fluffskul likes this.
  23. Clucking

I presume its the same pressing as the RSD release, which sadly suffers from sibilance. I get all the phish vinyl releases but this one I listen to the cd instead of the LP. However, if theyve fixed it fir the new pressing, apart from that one issue it is a beautiful mastering of a great album.

24. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Anybody know if Slip Stitch and Pass was recorded on tape? I have never owned or even heard it before, but I bought the reissue and listening to it now. It sounds fantastic. More like the quality of the earlier analog albums. This is VERY good!

25. I will pick it up in a couple weeks, so I will report back.
    I missed the RSD release. I don't think it made its way to Calgary. I am hoping, due to the long delay between the RSD & regular release, that it has been re-cut. Just a hunch with absolutely zero evidence to back me up. Feel free to take me to task on it...

Clucking likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.