Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

For me it would be the Dead in 99 percent of cases. But this Baker's Box is a weird situation when you already have the official downloads.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Listening to the studio albums today.

Im very relieved to say, after having started with live material, that the studio stuff is a lot better than expected.

Played Junta, Rift and Farmhouse and enjoyed every minute.

:)

3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Gotta say, i keep coming back to Reba.
    It screams of Zappa's RDNZL.

Technical, musical intro with hints of humor. Somehow it evolves into a giant climactic and triumphant sounding guitar solo section.

Just perfect.

I know Trey was a Zappa fan and i know theyve done Peaches. I hear Zappa all over Phish's music so far.

Thats a good thing. Its not necessary, but it never hurts to have a band youre discovering be influenced by one of your all-time favorite musicians. :)

ThirdBowl, Lownote30, Cassius and 7 others like this.
  4. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Reba is the quintessential Phish for me. Combining quirky lyrics that can be considered to describe the bands devoted eclecticism; annyong when will it stop chorus; challenging composed parts including the guitar/keyboard dizzying chase like squirrels around a tree! And the jam over the IV-V change is more reminiscent of Inca Roads, to me. Love that as a....vehicle....:shh:

5. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Check out one of the middle section vocal jams from a 94-95 You Enjoy Myself, and then listen to the one on Chunga’s Revenge. Your ears will perk up.

6. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Completely agree. Just as long as you don't get too many flubs in the composed parts. So probably best to avoid 2.0.

Oh, and you need whistling. The whistling coda should be mandatory.

Off the top of my head, I think I recall the LivePhish versions from Glens Falls '94 (White Album show) and Worcester '98 (Wipe Out show) being particularly good ones.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    ThirdBowl, Crispy Rob and musicarus like this.
  7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

Yup.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Forum Resident

Rykodisc issued a compilation by Jon Fishman of his favorite Zappa tracks (as well as one by Ler from Primus). I believe the entire band was at Zappa's 1988 concert in Burlington, VT.

ThirdBowl, Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  9. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Reba is indeed an epic epic. Many great ones to choose from. If you haven’t visited http://www.phish.net there’s a lot to dive into in terms of crowd-sourced “best ever” versions (though 3/20/92–one of my personal favorites—doesn’t ever seem to make any of the “best of” lists). Also, if you’re ready to have your mind blown, visit THE SPREADSHEET which has downloads of every known circulating Phish show (tons of beautifully mixed soundboards) as well as things like the festival archive broadcasts and various other bits that will make your head spin. Have fun storming the castle!

ThirdBowl, jay.dee, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  10. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Forum Resident

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

MIND = BLOWN

Cassius and Crispy Rob like this.
  11. johnnypaddock

I just called my boss and let him know I'll be out the rest of the week... Headed out quickly to stock up on beer and liquor.

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

3/20/92 also has the "alligator pit" Brother... For some reason I only had a cassette of the first set back in the day, but it got a lot of spins.

Cassius likes this.
  13. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

So thinking about Reba got me thinking about The Squirming Coil, which is one song that always makes me think of old Genesis (also like Walls of the Cave and Rroll HOF performance of Watcher of the Skies). So I spun Watcher and The Squirming Coil (studio) just now ... great stuff

Crispy Rob likes this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Good call, the Genesis/Squirming Coil connection. In the same way, You Enjoy Myself has always seemed really influenced by Yes.

rancher likes this.
  15. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I think so too, loosely at least. Trey always mentioned those influences in the early days and was blushed/flattered to play for Genesis at the induction. The Squirming Coil, with some imagination and modification, could fit into an early Genesis album ... that’s as far as I’ll go though, no other connections

Crispy Rob likes this.
  16. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

Go one better and download the PhishOD app. Instant access to every recorded show ever.

17. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

YEM/YES. Also some Allman’s in Divided Sky, Rush in Mike’s>I am H2, Gershwin in Gin, and Zappa all over...

ThirdBowl and Crispy Rob like this.
  18. johnnypaddock

That sounds like a better option, for sure. Thanks.

ThirdBowl likes this.
  19. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

That Reba set me on the path. I was a Deadhead who though Phish was some acronym for Phil Lesh or some oddity when perusing the Relix classified ads. Then I heard THAT Reba from 3/20/92 while stopping by to talk with some heads I knew. For whatever reason a cassette SBD leaked of that first set and went into circulation almost immediately after that show. I'm guessing it was late spring /early summer of 92 when I heard it. Likely from Brad Sands where most of those things came from at the time. I lived in Michigan at the time and all Phish tapes flowed out of Ann Arbor with Kevin Shapiro (before he worked for the band), and two other gents at the center of it all. Luckily I knew those 2 other gents and would get the goods as quickly as they arrived , well as quickly as I could afford new XLIIs.

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I had a buddy in the NYC area that had a really good connection for Phish soundboards back then, I forget if it was direct from the band's camp or one step removed, but he would usually get either first or second gen tapes, and I would then get the next generation (insert Star Trek/Riker's Mailbox joke here). We weren't around each other often enough for me to get anything close to everything he had, but he would pick out some choice selections to make copies of when he had the chance, maybe about 25-30 cassettes over a period of a year or so from '92 until when I moved west in '93. That 3/20/92 was one of his picks...

21. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

People like to say they don't live with regrets. Well, I say I do. 3/20/92 was a hometown show that I....didn't go to. And whenever I put this one on that regret comes flooding back big time. A perfect show. :cry:

22. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

3/20/92 should be at #1! That was an epic show. My first show, so I was there to see that Reba. The energy there was insane!

23. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

It's not soundboard. It's just an extremely good audience recording. Paul wasn't letting people get a line off the board that night (he was picky like that). I had a friend that taped the show, and what came through his mics is exactly what all the other versions I've heard sound like. The one thing his has that others don't is a Trey quote. "Help me. I'm melting and I can't solidify".

24. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

The copy of 3/20/92 that's available for both sets is a pretty nice audience, so much so that people assume it was a board. The Set 1 cassette SBD only that came into circulation in Spring of 92 is most certainly a board, but it's very rare. If @Crispy Rob had the same tape I did, it starts with Reba, with the end of the opening Wilson fading up into the Reba intro. I think Brad was running his Sony dubbing deck but not allowing the patch to anyone else. This tape came as I mentioned from Kevin and his taping buddies that spring soon after the show. Only those 9 songs from set one. I only have the tape which I absolutely abused, and wouldn't be worth transfering at this point. I know my friend I grabbed it from had it on DAT. Lineage being cSBD>DAT. That dat was never really traded outside of their circle, and I have been able to track down Lamke in decades, and his DAT is likely riddled with diginoise etc at this point.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  25. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I think it's the absolute best pre 93 Phish show top to bottom. Machine gun Trey exhibit 1. Only thing that could make it better is if Page had his real piano, alas not for another year.