Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I don't think I've actually ever heard the Roseland 3/14/92 since the show, good to know there is a good board out there. Was the Popper filler from the Marquee in NYC in December '90? I was there for that one as well.

2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Good point. Thanks.

3. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

No the Popper Encore was from 3/14/92 I used to tack it on to first set tapes as filler. Nice SleepingMonkey too.

ThirdBowl likes this.
  4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Why aren’t songs like Tela listed?

That seems an obvious one that’s missing...

Crispy Rob likes this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Gotcha. I was having a brain fart there.

6. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Here is your reward, skip right to one of the absolute peaks of Trey/Phish

12/31/1993 Harry Hood
    Listen to the interplay between the entire collective, Fishman & Trey in particular.

We used to scavenge the midwest, when you could see 6-8 shows in MI,OH,IN,IL in a week and play this repeatedly, after shows as the red from the passing tail lights dancing and melted across the highways & farm towns in between, proving far more enchanting than any glow stick war that came after.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    ThirdBowl, ledsox, JimSmiley and 4 others like this.
  7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Two things in Phish-world I’d love to see.

1. Mikes>Leprechaun. I love Leprechaun...I can’t believe Trey didn’t stick with it.

2. Phish cover “Starship Trooper” (Page singing). Hell...if it was 94 I’d love to see “The Yes Album” for Halloween...but I fear Trey couldn’t handle “Clap” at this stage if they pulled it out...

All those Roundabout teases kill me...

8. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

No one, not even Page, could sing Yes. But surely they could find a guest singer to help out if they ever decided to tackle one of those songs. I think they'd do a really great job.

(I have seen Umphrey's cover "Roundabout," and it was fantastic)

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I saw the first “Misty Mountain Hop” in 99...I bet he could bluff his way through...Phish would have killed Yes.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  10. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I think you can hear then jam Starship Trooper on the 10 29 09 sound check iirc

Crispy Rob likes this.
  11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Warewolf95... you given a listen to Phish covering Terrapin yet? Should put a smile on your face.

ThirdBowl, ianuaditis, adamos and 5 others like this.
  12. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Forum Resident

Perfect. I still get chills when I listen to that performance... The crowd was incredible. Loudest I’ve ever heard at a Phish show, when everyone realized what they were playing.

13. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

And this^.

I wonder what band has done the most covers...?

And I gotta admit Umphs does great covers. But Phish makes it more fun. Freebird anyone?!

ThirdBowl and warewolf95 like this.
  14. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not a complete reply by any means, but Yarmouth Road is on one of Mike Gordon’s solo albums. And Roll Like A Canteloupe is just Run Like An Antelope with the title line changed. They played it that way a few times in the very early days.

Edit: I take that back. Canteloupe has some different lyrics, based on the fruit & vegetable aisle at the supermarket. Recommended.

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

The version on the Relisten app sounds great...

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

Plant bluffed his way through "Misty Mountain Hop" live. Zeppelin vocals are malleable in a way Yes is not. I think the band instrumentally would do a great job with it though.

Crispy Rob and Lownote30 like this.
  17. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Forum Resident

3.13.92 - Campus Club - Providence, RI

[​IMG]

18. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Just listened to the 3/20/92 Reba thanks to you fine folks, wow! Think I’ll stick around for the whole show.

19. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

You won't regret it! Absolutely great show!

Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  20. Lownote30

At the 3/20/92 show, Trey teases Roundabout before Mike's Song. He's definitely a Yes fan! Who sang it when Umphrey's played it?

Crispy Rob and walrus like this.
  21. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

Check out the video. Mine was 3/12/11 at the Fillmore but it was more or less like this version. The weird thing about Umphrey's is that their drummer is actually the best singer in the band. (It's a jam band, so that's not saying much, but still). Like Phish, they're not great singers either, but they do a better job on covers vocally than Phish does, IMO. You could tell they spent some time getting this one right.

22. Lownote30

That's why I asked who sang it. Pretty much everyone in that band has taken a lead on a song. The members of Phish actually used to be better singers. Back in '92 - '93, the 4 of them took barbershop quartet singing lessons, and sang quite well. Page actually sang in tune most of the time then, and Trey didn't do the whispery vocals he does now. It was full on projection with his voice. Mike is the only one who pretty much sounds the same.

ThirdBowl and walrus like this.
  23. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

Yeah. I've grown to be a big UM fan over the years, but the only thing that irks me is that I just don't particularly care for Brendan's voice, and of course he sings seemingly virtually all of their original tunes.

I wish they'd kept up that commitment to vocals over time, but alas. I suppose they realized it didn't really matter to most of their audience, unfortunately.

Bracton likes this.
  24. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Trey has had formal vocal training since the band's '09 return and that is apparent in many more recent performances. Listen to his vocals on the Halloween 2016 cover of Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust." He nails it - especially on "Rock 'n Roll Suicide" and "Moonage Daydream."

ThirdBowl likes this.
  25. Lownote30

I agree that Brendan's voice is bit weak, and I think he tends to sing the songs he mainly wrote, while Jake sings the ones he mainly wrote. Jake's voice isn't all that appealing to me either, but UM are a great band! I used to trade shows with them when I played in my main band here in the late 90's into early 2000. They would open for us here in Nashville, and we would open for them in Cincinnati and Columbus. My band ended before they got Jake into the band, but I still followed them. Anchor Drops really got me in a good way!

ThirdBowl and Complier like this.