Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I agree with that. Friends only, pretty much. Too many spunions etc. They don't bother me, but I don't really feel like striking up a conversation either.

Dick's serves as a magnet for my widely scattered group of Phish friends. We always get down there early just to catch up & hang. Pretty much my entire crew seems to make it to Dick's every year. Despite just being a suburban soccer stadium, it's a special place.

2. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

So the rest are tour scum with pit bulls? It has always been a mix. Cheers! See you at the show! Scum, the night and the music are what makes it R E A L, maaaaaaaaaan....I like couch these days.

Instant Dharma and warewolf95 like this.
  3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. Will do! :)

4. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Aha. Did not know that. I've never listened to the original, oddly enough.

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I downloaded this, and am listening now. It really is good. I enjoyed the 21 plus minute Boogie On, and everything else falls into the place. Trey and Mike teach the crowd the Meatstick dance--I wish that part had video. Good Hood (I can feel good about it.)

Doggiedogma, adamos and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I go to a lot of shows by a lot of bands. The friendliest Phish fans are among the best people around, but on the other hand the worst people at Phish shows are among the most obnoxious, totally selfish people that I come across at concerts. The frat bros who come into our area 2/3 of the way into a TAB show and start slam dancing into each other and everyone around them, the crusty guy who cuts in line in front of 50 people waiting to use the bathroom while loudly bragging about how he snuck into the show, etc. I am not sure exactly what your point is, and I will still go to a show whenever I can but while there are a ton of great Phish fans, the obnoxious, entitled and wasted idiot factor is pretty high. I can and will deal with it fine and don’t have delicate sensibilities or anything, but I don’t really feel a strong desire to hang out for hours in the parking lot or whatever for that reason.

7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

It's nothing like a Grateful Dead show, or even a Dead & Co. show for that matter, as far as the tenor of the crowd goes. That said, I've sat or stood next to some friendly strangers at Phish shows.

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I actually never have either, but back in ‘90 so I heard the tape of 3/12/88 with Trey’s narration of all the original Gamehendge material So that gave me a good sense of what the original set of songs were. Possum always seemed shoehorned in there a bit awkwardly, much as I always have liked it.

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Absolutely, still lots of good folks around. Also, I would say that toward the very end, the GD crowd was sometimes not any better.
    I need to make a Dick’s run happen, I hear nothing but good things every time. Having kids and a wife who doesn’t like Phish has made traveling to shows a heavy lift these days. (I probably would have made the effort for Mexico shows, but both times they picked my wife’s birthday weekend and that was not gonna happen). Oh well.

10. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Just jokingly over-reacting to get in and out fast. Totally a diverse mix and am always grateful to find like-minded music fans (like in this forum) near me. But what has always really taken away from the scene are the crusty/pit-bull-having, possibly drug-dealing, obnoxious attendees. The frat boys don't bother me nearly as much as the super rude/crusty who seem to have motivations other than enjoying the music.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

You need to check out that entire 6.18 show. It's quintessential Phish greatness. Like really really great.

12. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Like 'nodding your head viciously in near disbelief' great...

13. warewolf95

Pure random show choice

10 30 09

Festival 8

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  14. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Listening to the 4/14/93 "Tweezer" from the St. Louis '93 box [​IMG]
    and the band teases Pink Floyd's "Empty Spaces" (from The Wall). It sounds like Trey would like to explore the tune more but the band isn't quite able to incorporate more of it into the jam, Trey goes into an extended solo instead (which is always fine with me!) . I would like to hear the boy's take on the "Animals" album.
    The Amsterdam box (which is superb) has my PHISH juices flowing again. :bdance:

15. warewolf95

10 30 09

Festival 8

Excellent-but-not-mind-blowing so far.

I'm currently almost done with Stash. Stash has been the first major highlight so far. Everything else has been excellent but noticeably "non-mind-blowing". This Stash is reaching those levels of greatness we search for, however. Recommended!

16. warewolf95

10 30 09

Festival 8

Beauty of a Broken Heart

This is a great song!

Doggiedogma likes this.
  17. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Interestingly I have never rated this version as high as most. The third "big" Bowie of 1994 (Dec 29, "Live Phish Vol. 20") is the one to rule them all for me! :)

18. warewolf95

10 30 09

WOW

Time Turns Elastic is sick. This is becoming a firm favorite song of mine.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  19. warewolf95

10 30 09

Down With Disease

Wow. This freaking ROCKS! It just goes on and on and on and on. It's like when you are at the end of a song and the guitar solo happens and the song fades out slowly, but instead this just goes on forever. :D

Doggiedogma, Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  20. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Summer 2016 was an odd change but I agree there were still some good ones, like 7/19 Bill Graham, 9/4 Dick’s and 7/15 Gorge. I was at the Wrigley and Mann Center shows which were a lot of fun; 6/28 Mann and 6/25 Wrigley were my favorites out of those four. And then things picked up for the Vegas Halloween shows. I did the MSG NYE run and thought 12/30/16 was really good. So a down year overall but still some good music, and thankfully 2017 was a year to remember.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  21. warewolf95

09 10 30

Festival 8

Was anyone at this gig? This second set SLAYS! :)

Doggiedogma likes this.
  22. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

A PSA to the Chicago area -- my wife was all ready to go see a Phish show with me, which would be her 1st one since 98 - I told her it would be at Rosemont and she said 'oh - no thanks'.

A great arena in Chicago would be great.

That St. Louis box is a good one, too --- so far they have been doing great at curating their past shows. They typically sound great and priced right.

adamos, Doggiedogma and Crispy Rob like this.
  23. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I hate hate HATE Character Zero!!!

Lownote30 and warewolf95 like this.
  24. warewolf95

:( Why?

Also, great coincidence, the Harry Hood from 10 30 09 is playing right now, lol

And Character Zero closes the show 2 tracks from now. :D

25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Ah, we are pretty much on the same page. The Dead scene for the last two or three years had a lot of those folks, who seemed to migrate over to the Phish scene (which had been largely free of them) after Garcia passed.

Doggiedogma, musicarus and warewolf95 like this.