Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Down the line maybe that will be how it plays out. I cashed in a lot of chits attending the Ween reunion shows including Valentine’s Day a couple years back and the Force is yet to
    be back in balance.

2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was there. It was weird to see them in such a large venue at the time.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Billy_Sunday and Instant Dharma like this.
  3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I think they have been remarkably consistent since the March '09 return. Some shows and tours are looked upon more favorably than others but I have yet to hear a 'bad show' from the last nine years.

2009 saw them glowing from the buzz of the return but there was still a little rust that needed shaking. From 2010 to the present, I can find periods of greatness in pretty much every show I've heard. Considering the fact that every set-list is different, that's mighty impressive.

Warewolf95, have you discovered (relative) rarities like "Harpua," "Sloth," "Mound," "Brother," "Sanity," "TMWSIY," "Vultures," "F*** Your Face," "Strange Design," (et al.)? Special songs that seldom pop up but I guess that's one of the reasons why they're special.

4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Thanks for the writeup mate.

Im familiar already with all those songs purely from a name standpoint, but Sloth and F Your Face are the only ones i can say i could recognize musically yet. :)

Mike Dow likes this.
  5. Mike Dow

Your enthusiasm has definitely reignited this thread. Many of us 'old timers' are vicariously enjoying your newfound love of the band. It reminds us of why we fell for them in the first place.

6. warewolf95

Glad to be of service! :D

When i get "into" an artist big time, thats it. Of course i listen to a million different things every day but when i first discovered Phish i was deep in the middle of my initial Dead-dom (ever continuing!).

Point is, i knew this is how id probably end up enjoying Phish but it wasnt worth it to dive in (for various reasons) until id "leveled off" with the Dead, if that makes sense.

Im glad this thread is here and im glad im not too late to the party :D

Billy_Sunday, jay.dee and Mike Dow like this.
  7. Mike Dow

All you need to do now is keep listening and try to see them this year.

8. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

12.06.97 - The Palace of Auburn Hills - Auburn Hills, MI
    II: Tweezer > Isabella

The funkiest Tweezer of all time. Just an insane, jaw-dropping way to open a second set.

jay.dee, Cassius, adamos and 2 others like this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

And that’s the night before 12.7.97.

Warewolf95...you need to give 12.7.97 Set I a listen...perfect flow/mix of songs.

Kinda like Bomb Factory 94 set 1...set 2 may get the fame...but set 1 is perfectly constructed.

10. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Scooped tickets for Halloween yesterday. As of right now the plan is only to hit the actual Halloween show and not the rest of the run, which is a bummer, but not so much so that I would rather just do a pass on the whole run.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  11. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Right. Same here. The third night was great too, particularly the setlist with a fair amount of rarely played stuff.

BILL GRAHAM CIVIC AUDITORIUM
    San Francisco, CA

SET 1: Demand, The Curtain With, Alumni Blues > Letter to Jimmy Page > Alumni Blues > **** Your Face, Cry Baby Cry, Sing Monica > McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, The Very Long Fuse > Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Walk Away > Sanity -> David Bowie

SET 2: No Men In No Man's Land > Mike's Song > Fee[1] > Seven Below > Waiting All Night > Gotta Jibboo, Miss You, Weekapaug Groove[2], The Oh Kee Pa Ceremony > Suzy Greenberg > Julius

ENCORE: Wading in the Velvet Sea > Character Zero[3]

[1] Trey on megaphone.
    [2] Trey on Marimba Lumina and Mike on keys.
    [3] Character Zero was sung almost entirely by the audience, with the band providing the chorus.

Demand was played for the first time since December 31, 2009 (258 shows). Alumni Blues and Letter to Jimmy Page were played for the first time since August 3, 2013 (114 shows). Cry Baby Cry was played for the first time since November 21, 1998 (496 shows). Sing Monica was dedicated to producer Bob Ezrin, who was in attendance. Walk Away was played for the first time since October 29, 2013 (100 shows). Mike teased Whole Lotta Love in Bowie. Fee featured Trey on megaphone. Weekapaug featured Trey on Marimba Lumina and Mike on keys. Character Zero was sung almost entirely by the audience, with the band providing the chorus..

Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  12. Billy_Sunday

I was there. I did Halloween in '94, '95, '98, and 11 years later, 2009. Haven't been to one since. Try to hit the local shows whenever they happen though, I'm still 'on the boat'

13. warewolf95

Thoughts on each? :)

14. Billy_Sunday

1994 - the White Album. Pretty much blew my mind and everyone else's that night. I was "on the rail" for this one and was feeling just exactly perfect .... front row with friends as one of my favorite live bands embarked upon one of my all time favorite albums! It really was a special event.

I could go on and on about that '94 show.... and at some point I probably will! But for now I gotta leave it there. Stay tuned!

15. warewolf95

When you feel up for it (if you feel up for it), I'm all in for a detailed review of each! :D

16. warewolf95

Looking at 7/25/17

What.

Look at this setlist (and the length of the jams, holy hell).

Gonna be playing this show reallllll soooonnnn, I can tell, haha.

A 30 MINUTE LAWN BOY IN SLOT 2?!?!?

Doggiedogma and adamos like this.
  17. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

That night was the jam-filled donut, definitely check it out

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. warewolf95

I was sampling Crosseyed and Plainless (33 frickin minutes) when I typed that and I can't "put it down" so to speak. :)

Woah. For anyone wondering "what's his thing", well, this. This right here. This is my thing. :D

Doggiedogma, musicarus, Geee! and 2 others like this.
  19. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think it’s a more or less regular Lawn Boy followed by a long Jam (Lawn Boy > Jam), but everyone calls it the 30 minute Lawn Boy. Either way, the jam filled night is top notch.

Doggiedogma and warewolf95 like this.
  20. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I hadn't listened to much Phish for a few years, and when I randomly caught that song being played on Sirius XM last summer I couldn't believe how great it sounded. I listened to the Baker's Dozen shows a lot over the next few weeks, and I'm still listening to a good amount of Phish these days. That version of Crosseyed & Painless is pretty awesome.

Doggiedogma and warewolf95 like this.
  21. warewolf95

8/22/15

Magnaball

A random sampling (and my first ever hearing) of Halfway to the Moon.

Great song!

22. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Tweezer>Prince Caspian is a top ten Phish moment.

Doggiedogma and JayB like this.
  23. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Just revisited the 12/29/94 Bowie, prompted by your shout-out. There’s a whole universe of things happening in that version! Think I’ll play it again.

24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This song is underrated amongst the new ones. Solid Page.

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The great thing about that night is take out the White Album... and you'd still have an incredible Phish show.

adamos, musicarus, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.