Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

No coincidence that those are four of their best songs.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

3.30.93 - Hilton Ballroom - Eugene, OR

Mike's >
    Hydrogen >
    Weekapaug >
    Psycho Killer >
    Weekapaug

Killer section of Set II here... Complete with Mike dedicating the song to himself, and the band members acknowledging it's "his song".

3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Synchronicity!! I literally downloaded that tour last night when you posted that.

Im blown away by the tapes. Im up to May and only TWO shows (on the spreadsheet at least), were not of, by my standards, excellent quality.

Hats off to the tapers. :)

4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The interesting thing about Phish is that as they’ve aged...they’ve consciously tried to keep things fresh. The Haunted House set in 2014. Nobody saw that glorious masterpiece coming. Baker’s Dozen...Jam night (with an enormous Bouncin)... they keep pushing. Sure it’s not spontaneous and unbridled like the early years...but they have not thrown the towel. And that’s what keeps me traveling for this band. :)

5. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

You're right. Either way, around that time, they slowed Mike's down in speed, and there was a lot less intensity.

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Look at the picture of him inside Billy Breathes. He's strung out. I met the guy before then, and I suspected abuse when Hoist came out. When Billy Breathes was released, the rumors among fans started to circulate.

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. warewolf95

Just looked up the HH set.

What.

The.

Crap.

That is insane

Monroro likes this.
  8. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Just played through TAB 7/7/18 festival set show. Was solid, nothing crazy spectacular. Pretty much what you would expect from a 'classic TAB' festival set. Looking on Live Phish for Halloween TAB in Austin 2006, but I guess it is not up there. Want to hear this one again, but I remember being sort of let down at the time due to crazy Halloween/birthday show expectations.

STUBBS BBQAUSTIN, TX
    Back to Tour List
    SHOW INFO
    • Tuesday, Oct 31, 2006
    • Stubbs BBQ Austin, TX
    with Russel Remmington, Fernado Castillo, Carlos Sosa, and Raul Vallejo on horns and Ivan Neville on Keyboards
    $with Russel Remmington on saxaphone

SET ONE
    • 01 - First Tube
    • 02 - Dragonfly
    • 03 - Dark & Down
    • 04 - Heavy Things
    • 05 - Money Love and Change
    • 06 - Spin >
    • 07 - Tuesday
    • 08 - Drifting
    • 09 - Simple Twist up Dave
    SET TWO
    • 01 - Mud City@
    • 02 - Plasma$
    • 03 - Bar 17>@
    • 04 - Mud City@
    ENCORE
    • 01 - Push on Til the Day@
    EDIT - Adding the Video

johnnypaddock likes this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It is a remarkable set. Well worth looking at the Youtube footage as well... the whole set is up on youtube in HD I believe...

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  10. warewolf95

Listening to 7/30/97 - "Ventura" - for the 2nd time today. I enjoyed it SO much that first time a few weeks ago.

Love the opening NICU, Chalkdust is mind melting, and the Bowie>Cities>Bowie is one of the greatest things these ears have ever heard.

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Best watched on video.

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Possibly the most joyful night I've had as a Phish fan. To know they could still pull something like that off, at that stage of their career, well, it just felt great.

13. zakyfarms

Also, hitting the road in about 14 hours for Tahoe baby!

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Wish I were doing the same, but really looking forward to Bill Graham Civic next week. Enjoy!

wavethatflag, lucan_g and zakyfarms like this.
  15. zakyfarms

Yes. The video circulates, and must be seen.

16. warewolf95

Its like they're just constantly trolling us but we are all in on the joke/jokes so it just becomes one big heap of fun with no pretense. :)

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  17. KDubATX

4/26/1996 Jazz Fest, New Orleans. One set show. I had this on tape from shortly after the show, back when getting recent tapes was not nearly as commonplace. It is not the hottest fire, but I have fond memories of this tape, which have become somewhat fogged over as time moved on. Happy to clear out the old clouds as I jam out and make some new clouds for this show.

Doggiedogma and Crispy Rob like this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I've never heard this set. I remember it getting somewhat mixed fan reviews but if I recall right it was a Live Phish download release.

19. KDubATX

It is a festival set, so they are not breaking new ground or anything here. I thing the mixed reaction at the time had more to do with people's crazy expectations at the time than anything else.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  20. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

My first Phish show I attended: 9/29/1990

23 EAST CABERET
    Ardmore, PA

SET 1: Divided Sky, Dinner and a Movie, The Landlady, Ya Mar > Buried Alive > Bouncing Around the Room > Possum[1], Magilla > David Bowie -> Happy Birthday to You[2] -> David Bowie[3]

SET 2: The Squirming Coil > Tweezer, Gumbo, Uncle Pen, Stash, Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove

ENCORE: Lawn Boy

[1] Two Charlie Chan signals; also Oom Pa Pa and Popeye signals.
    [2] Sung by the band to Trey.
    [3] Charlie Chan and How High the Moon signals.
    Possum contained two Charlie Chan signals and Oom Pa Pa and Popeye signals. During the Bowie intro (at the stroke of midnight) the band sang Happy Birthday to Trey. Bowie subsequently contained Charlie Chan and How High the Moon signals. Manteca was teased in Bowie before and after Happy Birthday.

21. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

My favorite Phish show I attended:

PHISH, SUNDAY 07/14/1991

TOWNSHEND FAMILY PARK
    Townshend, VT

SET 1: Reba, Llama, The Squirming Coil > Golgi Apparatus, Guelah Papyrus, My Sweet One, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird > The Sloth, I Didn't Know[1] > Possum[2]

SET 2: Suzy Greenberg[3], Caravan[3] > Divided Sky[3], Gumbo[3] > Dinner and a Movie[3] > Bouncing Around the Room, Split Open and Melt[3], Magilla[3] > Cavern[3] > Run Like an Antelope[3]

SET 3: AC/DC Bag[3] > The Landlady[3], Esther > Chalk Dust Torture, Bathtub Gin[3], Mike's Song[3] > I Am Hydrogen[3] > Weekapaug Groove[3], Hold Your Head Up[3] > Touch Me[4], Harry Hood

ENCORE: Contact[3] > Big Black Furry Creature from Mars[3]

[1] Fish on trombone.
    [2] Charlie Chan and Oom Pa Pa signals.
    [3] Giant Country Horns.
    [4] Giant Country Horns and Fish on trombone.
    This show featured The Giant Country Horns for all of the second set except for Bouncing, all of the third set except for Esther, Chalk Dust, and Hood, and for the encore. The show began with a humorous announcement from Trey that he felt “overdressed” during National Nudist Week. My Sweet One included a tease of the Bonanza theme and Magilla included a Flintstones theme tease. I Didn't Know, in which Fish was introduced as "Hank," and Touch Me featured Fish on trombone. Possum included Charlie Chan and Oom Pa Pa signals as well as a Dave’s Energy Guide tease, while Weekapaug included more DEG teases. Trey introduced the Giant Country Horns at the end of Antelope and during BBFCFM. There was a long wait during HYHU for Fish, who was apparently in the bathroom. Hood included full-band Jeopardy! theme teases. This show ran much longer than scheduled (at one point, when Trey noted that they should wind up the show, a fan urged the band to “**** the clock”), prompting Trey to beg the crowd to leave in a timely and orderly fashion after the encore.

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That one is a classic. I'm sure it must have been a blast.

Christian Hill likes this.
  23. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

In the throngs about 15 metres from the stage at Tahoe after one nasty journey from SF. Still, I’ve had two glasses of wine - a decent Sangiovese from a bottle bought two days back in Napa (Silverado winery) and feel good!

YEM opener. Calling it now.

Hotel just about 100 metres away - good booking back in January.

24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm getting pumped for Bill Graham, and any tour talk in this thread.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Couch ter in the NE!