Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Listening right now. Holy crap these guys are ON.

After Coventry, and Trey's dark time, every Phish show I hear is a friggin' gift. So glad they are still making music. Heck, I might have to trek these ageing bones to a show one of these days. The last one was foggy, rather groggy.

Incidentally, these guys know how to record a live show... I'm talking about the official livephish shows. Just sublime sounding. The energy and vibe and spaciousness of a live show but the sound of a studio, basically.

2. You are right on all accounts. I haven't seen them in over a decade but I just might have to catch them next time they're in my neck of the woods.

3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have recently picked up Veneta and Amsterdam and have really been enjoying them. As far as live, other than some tapes I no longer have, I only had A Live One, Slip Stitch and 6-8 of the Live Phish CDs. I am liking these mixes a bit more, and whereas A Live One and Slipstitch are a little on the produced mixed hot side, these two are quieter mixes which works a bit more for me but I suspect not all. If the first two are like Without A Net, these second two are like the E'72 box for anyone making the trip over from the Dead: WAYLT thread.

On Phish.net here there was a discussion of what releases were mixed/mastered from multi-tracks so I figured it might be of help here. This discussion was 2 years ago, the list did not get disputed, and so I think the only addition would be Amsterdam at least on CD not sure about downloads. I don't know how mixed from multi-track in post vs. a live 2 channel mix shakes out exactly (I think everything was recorded ADAT multi-track, they sometime chose instead to release the live mix if I have my research correct); I will have to pull some of those Live Phish CDs out and compare next.

01) A Live One
    02) 1995-12-31 Live from Madison Square Garden
    03) 1996-08-16 The Clifford Ball (DVD only)
    04) 1996-08-17 The Clifford Ball (DVD only)
    05) 1996-11-02 Coral Sky
    06) Slip, Stitch & Pass
    07) 1997-07-22 Walnut Creek
    08) 1997-07-30 Ventura Boxset
    09) 1998-07-20 Ventura Boxset
    10) 1998-08-11 Star Lake
    11) 2003-08-02 & 2003-08-03 IT Festival (DVD Only)
    12) 2004-06-14 Brooklyn, NY
    13) 2010-08-14 Alpine Valley
    14) 2010-08-15 Alpine Valley (Partial Selections)
    15) 2010-10-20 Utica

rstamberg, Crispy Rob and KeninDC like this.
  4. crimsun

crimsun Active Member

B-Mike likes this.
  5. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I tend to skip first sets lately, but the Skin It Back -> Martian Monster mash up from 8/11/15 is spectacular. All in all I'd say this has been a very solid run.

6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

The Ventura box, especially the '97 show, sounds fantastic. The drum tones are like buttah. The whole mix is exactly how I like to hear them.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  7. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

According to phish.net, they haven't played "Let Me Lie" since Telluride in summer '10. They did play the title track in Austin this summer though.

8. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

JJ Cale
    A playlist with all his albums that I have (Naturally, Really, Trobadour, Rewind, Okie, Guitar Man, Grasshopper)

Crispy Rob likes this.
  9. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Apparently, they just did a 45 minute sound check jam at Watkins Glen (like the Dead in '73!) that was rather something. It was broadcast on the Bunny radio. Sadly, I tuned in in time to hear the last 45 seconds. Hopefully Live Phish will make it available soon.

10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

!
    I'll definitely want to be hearing that one. Even though I'm not going to any of the shows, I'm absurdly excited for what three days of Magnaball and three days at Dick's will bring.

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

AMSTERDAM ... (still) ...

Crispy Rob and JayB like this.
  12. fsfang2

fsfang2 Forum Resident

8/15/2015 - Columbia, MD

13. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Here you go:

14. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

"If I Could I Would" from Live Phish Vol 10 (6/22/1994) is beatiful.

15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm so bummed about missing Magnaball.
    I attended Super Ball IX, which was also held at Watkins Glen (four years ago ... already?) and it was really groovy. Anyway, the soundcheck at that event was well over an hour, IIRC. Anyway, have a great time everybody who's fortunate enough to be at Magnaball!

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I love SLIP STICH & PASS a whole lot. I admire the fact it's a single CD live album and it's also pretty hot for them, meaning it's jumping' and swinging' hard throughout. Great little album.

17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Nice. I saw Cale open up for Phish at the Greek back in 93 and have most of those albums.

18. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I could use some help if you don't mind. Below are the Live Phish CDs I have, and I don't have enough time to go through them all at the moment, but want to pick one or two of the better ones to see how they stack up to the mixed from multi-track stuff.

Do you have a favorite sounding or just generally great show, maybe leaving 10-31-96 out of the mix as I have that one, at least the cover set, burned into my brain. Thanks

01- 07-16-94
    04- 06-14-00
    05- 07-08-00
    06- 11-27-98
    15- 10-31-96

19. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

1994 was a great year for Phish.

The 6/14/00 and 11/27/98 are both well rated. See link below:

http://phish.net/ratings

bmoregnr likes this.
  20. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

budwhite likes this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Total Phish newbie here

B-Mike likes this.
  22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

That's some scary **** man.
    Far out :faint:

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

For other scary Phish try 6/22/95 Tweezer or 10/31/95 You Enjoy Myself.

budwhite likes this.
  24. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Been trying to like Phish for a long time, and have many of their CDs. Just came to the realization the other day that their drummer doesn't appeal to me at all. If they had a drummer I liked, it would improve the band 100%.

Imho, of course.

25. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I was watching the Coral Sky DVD last night. The whole thing is great, but this was special. Sick tightness.