Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Good lesson, cool insight on Stash. And kinda funny!

Jackstraw78 and JRM like this.
  2. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Speaking of Stash...not to mention Sally, Taste, AC/DC Bag and others

walrus, lucan_g, wavethatflag and 7 others like this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I went to the first and third night of this run, but unfortunately skipped this show because I was also catching up and hanging out with some old college friends in NYC who weren't going to the shows, so that was my night to spend lots of time with them. I wound up at Gloria Steinem's apartment of all places, some friend of a friend was housesitting for her, and I think I managed to clean up the red wine that I spilled there... you couldn't take me anywhere back then. I like to think i've slightly improved over the years, but who knows. All I really know is that jewels and binoculars hang from the head of a mule.

4. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

Thanks for the kind words! This was a fun episode to put together. Can't complain about listening to a few amazing fall 97 shows!

If anyone is coming to the NYE run, check us out at American Beauty preshow on 12/29 as part of the PhanArt show: HF Pod Live 12.29 American Beauty 3pm

Mike Dow likes this.
  5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This was my first MSG experience. Heading back yet again in 4 days...

6. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

7. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Let's get this show on the road...:cool:

[​IMG]

8. Erik B.

Erik B. Tighter than Mike Gordon’s jeans

me too

JRM likes this.
  9. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Some Trey sloppiness, but overall very good show. Filled my jam-quota.

JRM and Erik B. like this.
  10. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Trey sounds hoarse.

Erik B. likes this.
  11. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Music is your special friend

I have literally never (at least knowingly) heard anything by Phish.

What would be the archetypal essential (as in the essence of) Phish record to listen to first, which would encapsulate Phish as musicians and songwriters, not by what they evolved into in live performances, etc.? Something that's mature enough to represent the baseline Phish musical experience but with their greatness still ahead?

Analogous to American Beauty as your first Dead album, or The Who Sell Out, or Frank Zappa and Uncle Meat?

I'll monitor the responses for a while before I go listen to any.

(or should this be a new thread?)

Geee! likes this.
  12. Erik B.

Erik B. Tighter than Mike Gordon’s jeans

you should listen to live phish. Studio Phish doesn't really cut it, IMHO

Cassius and johnnypaddock like this.
  13. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Yes, start with A Live One.

The first track's a nice 3 minute pop song, so that's an easy start.

But if you can make it through all 12 minutes of track 2, particularly the second half of it, without shouting "WTF is this? There's no tune!" then you might be OK to continue further exploration.

adamos likes this.
  14. mdphunk

Read back through this thread as the question has been discussed a number of times.

But keep in mind that there is no true answer. To my point, I would not consider any of the albums you listed as my preferred entry points for those artists. It’s all subjective.

15. mdphunk

Also, A Live One is the correct answer. :p

johnnypaddock, Cassius and adamos like this.
  16. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I thought Back on the Train was the highlight of Set 1. Roggae and Theme also very nice. NMINML was best of the show. Solid start to the run...more fun tonight!

Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  17. pbuzby

pbuzby Forum Resident

Rift

ThirdBowl, musicarus and adamos like this.
  18. budwhite

budwhite Så länge skutan kan gå

Just don't expect anything close to the Dead or the Allman brothers band and you'll probably be fine.

I still haven't listened to a Phish studio record. Don't love the songs but I like the jams

This was one jam that got me started

ThirdBowl, Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  19. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think I heard A Picture of Nectar before I heard any live Phish. The songs from that period (roughly 92-93) are still among my favorites. The live era that followed (93-95) is many people's favorite live Phish era, mine included.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    ThirdBowl, adamos and Bracton like this.
  20. Bracton

Bracton Well-Known Member

Same here. And I still think that's one of their better (best?) studio albums. I've sort of gravitated towards more of their studio material in recent years. With their live stuff, I find myself picking and choosing too often, much like I do with the Dead.

21. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I agree with the input re: live and A Live One. But specific to studio albums I think Junta is as good a place to start as any, not just because it’s the first but also because it’s very good. My personal favorite is Rift. Or for a more accessible entry point that’s a bit further down the line, Billy Breathes is a good option and well regarded.

22. Geee!

Geee! Forum Resident

YouTube is a great place to start...Phish live is also a visual spectacle. There are plenty of full concerts up from the LivePhish webcasts with great audio & video. The New Year's NYC run & Dick's shows are plentiful & awesome intros.

23. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Managed to (mostly) avoid the set list before now and have just finishing listening - apart from the encore which is now playing - and dayum, that 2nd set!

NMINML into Twist. Wow. Two out-there jams with awesomely surreal keyboard sounds. Mike’s bass louder too. Sooooo good.

I saw all 4 nights two years ago, and man do I wish I were doing that again this year. Great exploratory music.

24. attym

attym Forum Resident

Where to start with phish? That’s really hard to say.
    A Live One really captures their live sound in their prime.
    I also know people who got into phish via their studio album, Billy Breathes.
    It’s really different from their live show but it’s a really great album which might spark some interest.

25. walrus

walrus Forum Resident

I like a lot of studio Phish, so I don't buy the "studio albums suck!" narrative. I think Junta (ignore the throwaway bonus tracks on disc 2, they're not part of the original album) and Billy Breathes are two very good starting points that wonderfully encapsulate Phish as musicians and songwriters.

Obviously A Live One really captures the true essence of the band as a whole at that moment in time, the way Live Dead or Europe '72 did. The whole thing is a bit overwhelming, and "Stash" as track 2 I think would turn some people off, so I suggest picking and choosing from it, namely "Bouncing Round The Room," "Chalk Dust Torture," "Wilson," "Simple," "Harry Hood," and "Squirming Coil," which would give you a nice 50-odd minute sampler of easily-digestible, definitive live Phish.

ThirdBowl and Bracton like this.