Phono Preamp for under $175

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, May 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just need a phono preamp. If I take a source that outputs too loud (for my sound card), it will begin to compress the audio (even when the recording is not at 0dB), and I will not get the full sound quality I could be getting. I need a phono preamp to get the full sound quality of my turntable, as I was using the headphone output on my reciever to transfer to digital (to my computer's MIC IN). My reciever, if slightly too loud, will begin to compress when plugged into my computer.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

How are you actually listening to the records? Or do you make digital recordings of vinyl and then listen to them?

If you want something with digital output, I can recommend the Rega Fono Mini A2D. It has gain adjustment, a USB output for recording needledrops, and sounds good. It's also right at your budget.

3. youraveragevinylcollector

Something with a USB preamp, could I possibly record in 24/96? Or am I restricted to the limits (16/48 max) of my soundcard?

4. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Again: your first problem is in the fact that you take signal from headphones. Second: your soundcard might be noisy too, but you'll know that after you eliminate the first problem i.e. record proper tape out signal. You can get a $$$ worth preamp and the recording would still sound poor if the soundcard is the culprit. In other words you may also need a new soundcard.

No such thing if you use the tape out.

Should go to line in. If no separate line in than this mic in should be changed to line in in the audio menus.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    JohnO and patient_ot like this.
  5. youraveragevinylcollector

I honestly doubt that there are any problems with my soundcard. Not very noisy. When I hit stop on a tape deck (while recording to digital), there isn't any noise that shows up on the recording that shouldn't be there. My reciever may have a tape out, but I am not sure. There is a button that says TAPE 2/MONITOR, and on the display, it pops up with MONITOR. Not sure if that is what I need to use or not. It is a simple MIC IN. Obviously for something with a preamp.

6. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

There is rec out on the back.
    Mic in is for microphone.

7. youraveragevinylcollector

I am using a laptop. Only one input. I don't really want to spend $100 more on a sound card, as my phone downsamples anything over 16/48 to 16/44.1, and I listen to music on the go.

8. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

You probably won't spend anything if you follow my advice to try what you have first in the proper way.

9. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

10. youraveragevinylcollector

@RPM No such option exists. Looked in Control Panel and Realtek Audio Manager. I did lower the recording volume, through the Audio Manager.

11. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

12. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Google video titled "How To "Convert" A Laptop Microphone Port To Line In ".

13. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I think what you're doing is keeping your receiver headphone jack very low, and picking up the residual noise of the receiver, the noise you cannot turn down, when you feed it to the Mic In. That sounds noisy up at a listening level. Also, the compression you note is really the act of overloading the Mic In of your computer.
    If your computer settings do not allow switching the "Mic In" to a clearly listed "Line In" setting, playing with the levels of Mic In will not help a lot.
    Answering your first question, another low cost preamp, with USB output too, but no level control, but with a headphone jack with level control for the headphone, is the Behringer UFO202, $30 and should have free shipping. For this you would plug your turntable directly into this, and use the USB to your computer, cleanly. This USB DAC only goes to 48/16, it does have 44.1/16 directly too. And it is USB powered as it comes. You can use a USB wall wart if you have a non-computer use for it as a preamp not connected to a computer.
    Behringer U-Phono UFO202

A very inexpensive thing you could try to get listenable results - 99 cents - is a headphone volume control
    3ft 3.5mm M/F Stereo Audio Earphone Headphone Extension Cable w/ Volume Control | eBay
    With this, you would have your receiver up at the level you would listen to it directly through your headphones; connect that level through this cable to your Mic In. This cable cuts the whole level down to the level that your Mic In expects. The receiver volume would be up, at normal listening levels, therefore cutting that down also cuts down the residual receiver noise. You would
    1) listen to your record through your receiver directly with your own headphones in the headphone jack, setting the volume on the receiver to where it sounds good as you listen
    2) at the receiver, replace the headphone with this cable and connect to your Mic In
    3) turn the level down with the control on this cable until it sounds and meters good enough on the computer
    --- At this point it should sound and record fairly ok on the computer
    4) play with the levels of all three for better and best possible results
    That's just a 99 cent "pretty ok" thing to do. But 99 cents will let you save the rest of the money faster. (Been there done that)
    Even better, take from the Tape Out jacks on your receiver, through this cable, to the Mic In of your computer. You may need a simple connector adapter to do that.

If your computer cannot be switched in Windows to change the Mic In input to a clear "Line In" setting, nothing will be very good help there, and you should get a preamp with USB. The Behringer is the most inexpensive decent one. Others noted above are better. But you would be OK with this one.

14. youraveragevinylcollector

I could definitely use one. Sometimes my tape deck outputs a little loud (and begins to compress), and I could use this to my advantage.

The video is exactly how my MIC IN is set up. No gain or anything is turned on.

Would a Pro-Ject Record Box USB or Phono Box USB be good for me?

15. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Unless I'm mistaken, the Rega Fono Mini does not allow gain ajustment. The "level" knob is only used for ripping.
    (I like mine fine, by the way and recommend it as well.)

patient_ot likes this.
  16. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

Yes, you're right. I missed the distinction. It's only for ripping- but is gain needed otherwise? Are albums mastered that differently, where the volume knob won't accomplish the same end?

17. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

I have a Rega Mini Fono, superb performance for the price.

18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Don't understand...On the video there's menu to chose line in option.
    Yes, but don't think it's much better than ART USB Phono Plus.

19. youraveragevinylcollector

Line in is only on computers with a line in and mic in. Mine is strictly a mic in.

20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

The point in the video is that although a computer may seem to be strictly mic in, it may be line in as well, only that option is kinda hidden so you have to look up. If you're sure than ok.

21. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Some computers have both Line In and Mic In inputs, most don't. The computers that have a single input have it as Mic In.
    When there is only one input socket, some sound chips can be switched, for that one input socket, for Mic In or Line In.
    That is accessed from Windows, but it is not part of Windows. Windows accesses the driver for the sound chip. The driver is written by the manufacturer of the sound chip. There are different sound chips in different computers - and a different driver for each, supplied by the manufacturer of the sound chip.

For a chip that can be switched, internally it has the Line In amplifier section, and the Mic In amplifier section - which is a preamp itself without RIAA correction. If the chip can be switched to "Line In", it basically turns off the Mic In preamp that is on the chip, leaving an actual "Line In" connection.

For a chip that cannot be switched, basically the chip has a single amplifier designed to have the gain of "Mic In" only. The inexpensive way to make that input work like a Line In is that 99 cent cable (or a more expensive one that does the same function). That would still be a bit noisier than if you had a true Line In, but it's workable.

For sound chips that can be switched, Windows accesses the manufacturer's driver, and there will be a simple choice which can be labeled as clearly as something like this:
    "Set the Mic In input to be: ○ "Mic In" ○ "Line In" " and you click the circle for which one you want and hit OK.

If the sound chip cannot be switched, there won't be such a choice accessed in Windows.

The video referenced here is not a video that will apply to every computer and sound chip. That video is for that specific sound chip only.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  22. youraveragevinylcollector

I know it doubles as a sound card, but it may suit all my needs. A Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB? Any good?

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Just get the Rega unit mentioned above. Then take the receiver and stupid mic input out of the chain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.