Phono preamp / phono stage advice?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TimWare, Aug 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimWare

TimWare Well-worn Member Thread Starter

I have two turntables -- a 2001 Pro-ject 2 with an Ortofon 2M Mono Special; a Technics SL-1500C with a Vessel A3SV.

I have a PHO-701 pre-amp through which I run the Technics.

I need a recommendation for a sub-$1000 phono stage/pre-amp for the Pro-Ject.

My amp is the Hegel H90.

Any ideas and/or feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. gmeese34

gmeese34 Forum Resident

When I was looking for a phono preamp earlier in the year, it seemed like there was somewhat of a dead zone near $1k. I think there are great values at $130-$400 and also at $2500ish. My recommendation would be to get something cheaper like the Schiit Mani or Rega Phono and spend the rest on records or else save for the PS Audio Stellar.

mjcmt likes this.
  3. TimWare

Thanks for the info! I like that Rega Phono preamp. And that PS Audio preamp looks great but I'm not ready to spend $2500.

If anyone else would like to chime in on phono preamp recommendations, I'm all ears :)

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If it's for a secondary system, get something cheap. ART DJ Pre is my budget pick. I don't think it's worth spending big bucks on a phono stage for that Pro-Ject. If you are into DIY find a kit on discussed on AK that looks good for your needs.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  5. TimWare

I take your point on the Pro-ject 2, although it is equipped with a pretty nice cart. Also, I may just replace the Pro-ject 2 down the road so I'm happy to spend up a bit to accommodate a future choice. Thanks for the input.

patient_ot likes this.
  6. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

So many nice phono preamps in the $1000 range nowadays, really need to define some parameters to narrow it down, at least in my mind.

If interested in a real tube phono stage with no opamps and no feedback, the SAC Thailand one is pretty nice, around $700 either direct or through distributor ... disclaimer: I don't own one and haven't heard it, though it does interest me, and I would probably try one if I wasn't already set with higher end pieces ... someone here did recently try one of their SUTs and is very happy ...

SAC Thailand

Phono Amp (MM/MC. 40-56dB Gain. 12AX7+12AX7/12AU7/12AY7.) – DIY Hifi Supply

Lots of other threads here on this topic, as you'd expect, phono preamps are a big discussion item here, and from what I see in the marketplace, many ways to go in all the price ranges.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  7. clrvlewis

clrvlewis Forum Resident

I think for $5ooish (depending on where you buy) the SimAudio 110LP V2 is hard to beat. I had it in my system as while I was saving my pennies for the PS Audio / Zesto (Still auditioning both). I really do think for the money the 110LP V2 is a winner in that price range hands down.

MGW likes this.
  8. TimWare

Thanks! How do you think the Rega Fono compares to the 110LP v2 ?

As I mentioned at thread kickoff, my other phono stage is the PHO-701 which I do like.

clrvlewis likes this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you are looking to spend a bit for the future, one thing you might consider is finding a phono pre that has 2 inputs that way you can hook both turntables up to one unit. Not super common these days but they are out there.

In terms of ordinary phono preamps with one input, I like the Graham Slee line and would recommend their home loan program if you want to try something out. They do have a couple archival phono stages available (as well as "regular" ones) with pre-RIAA EQ options if you are playing a lot of old, pre-1955 records.

10. I highly recommend the Parks Audio Puffin. It’s incredibly flexible, allowing one to maximize their phono sound to their amp and speakers. It plays mono, moving magnet and coil (no SUT needed), plays to numerous pre-RIAA EQ options, and really allows for opening up modern, more compressed-sounding LPs.

There’s a new feature on it called Magic, which eliminates many pops and crackles without audibly limiting any of the record’s dynamics. I played my VG Ludwig Led Zeppelin II through Magic, and it blew me away how dynamic and clean it sounded. It will even grade your vinyl as it plays!

The Puffin uses DSP, but your ears will never know the difference. It blows away the phono section in my old McIntosh—no contest. It’s under $500 and listed via Amazon, so you can send it back within a month without a problem if unsatisfied. The customer service (Parks himself) is fast and friendly. At this point, I couldn’t imagine my turntable without it.

Happy hunting,

Bill

Technocentral and MCM_Fan like this.
  11. clrvlewis

clrvlewis Forum Resident

I was going to try the Fono but during my search and after googling "Rega Fono vs 110LP v2" Everything I read stated the 110LP was better so I never auditioned it.

12. clrvlewis

clrvlewis Forum Resident

Another thought is what others have suggested. One single Phono for both. I auditioned the Gold Note PH-10. There is a dealer here on the forum that will help you out. I have also heard the PHO-701 and I think you would like the PH-10 better. Also the PH-10 as the ability of 2 inputs. It also has a upgrade path if you want to get the stand alone power supply later. You could sell your PHO-701 and use that money for the PH-10 and come out ahead maybe, and I think you would be happier. I see the dealer I was talking about has one Here for a good price.

Options :) its what makes the hobby fun and irritating at the same time. Good luck!

13. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Sutherland KC Vibe, $900 brand new...

14. eltigreferoz

eltigreferoz Forum Resident

I like Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+, (which I believe I tried after reading other reviews in this forum). Small, super quiet, lots of options for gain and loading. Definitely available <800.

15. Vinyl Kix

Vinyl Kix Forum Resident

I have a question. I'm looking to purchase an ART DJpreiII phono preamp.
    I see two versions:
    one is listed as ART DJpreII phono preamplifier (listed for $65.00)
    2nd one is listed as:
    ART precision phono preamp (listed for $79.99)

What is difference between the two--if any?
    I am looking to add one to my 2nd system. Thanks!

16. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

The two I recommend in the $500 range are the Darlington Labs MP-7 and the Parks Audio Puffin. These are two very different phono stages, so which you prefer depends on how you use your secondary table.

I use a Puffin on my secondary table for thrift store vinyl. All used vinyl gets cleaned and the first play is on the secondary table. I use the Grade function to determine which albums get promoted to my primary table. Anything that grades worse than a B+ generally gets played on the secondary table with the Magic function enabled to reduce pops and clicks.

I plan to use a Darlington Labs MP-7/SU-7 with my primary table, as soon as the SU-7 becomes available.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  17. Davey

Main difference is that the standard model is MM only while the Precision model handles both MM and MC.

18. That's quite an assumption.

bever70 and Davey like this.
  19. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Another vote for the Puffin, fantastic machine.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  20. Vinyl Kix

Vinyl Kix Forum Resident

Thanks for info on ART DJ. That makes sense the precision one can be used for MC/MM.
    I wish I could afford the Parks Puffin, but that's out my price range at the moment!
    I do have a nice Vincent PO-8 on my main system that works wonderful!
    This is for my 2nd system (adding the ART DJ to it) to boost my signal as my current phono preamp is running through a Sony DA5000ES AV receiver (that has built in phonostage) but I have a CD-recorder connected to it and my recording levels are not as high as I would like--I'm guessing due to weaker phonostage. The turntable is a very nice Technics SL-D2 with an AT540ml cartridge on it!

21. Davey

Yea, the Sony gain is 36dB, which is a bit low for the VM540ML compared to some of the more modern phono preamps. But should still be enough, just have to turn it up a little more, that's about the same gain as most vintage phono stages, can't you just turn up the recording level a bit?

patient_ot likes this.
  22. It’s not an assumption. I have blind-played it for numerous listeners against the internal phono feature on my amp, even for some who swear by all-analog chains. They either couldn’t figure out which was which or chose the Puffin’s sound over the McIntosh. It is fantastic. I have not run it directly against a Lounge, so I can’t verify an audible difference there. No offense to your high-quality work and continued success to you!

Cheers,

Bill

Technocentral likes this.
  23. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Musical Fidelity MX Vinyl

24. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

@TimWare I'd second the Moon recommendation. I have the 310LP and it is breathtaking!
    As for comparing the Rega Phono to the Moon 110LP V2, the Moon is in a higher price and performance category so unless you really want to save the £30 difference at the expense of performance I would not bother.
    Another approach would be to look out for a used Trichord Phono Stage - the Delphini comes in for about £200 if you just want MC or the Dino is about the same pricing, but not quite as good IME, if you need MM as well as MC.

25. Musicphil

Musicphil Forum Resident

iFi Zen takes some beating especially sub £1000.
    I heard the Rega, the Slee, Mani and the Zen for me so much better, extremely quiet. Decent MC inputs too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.