Phono preamp recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pete74, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete74

Pete74 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi. Recently got a deal too good to pass up on an RP8/2M Bronze and am super stoked about it!

My amp is a 70's Yamaha CA-610 and I'm thinking of adding a dedicated phono preamp as the next upgrade.

I'm looking at either the Cambridge CP2 or Rega Fono MM as possibilities.

Any suggestions on which way to go (in the price range of the above examples)?

2. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I would find something that has flexible loading and gain for MM and MC. I bet most people will recommend Lounge Audio

displayname, Dubmart and Ric-Tic like this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

4. Pete74

a somewhat flexible budget would be approx 225USD / 300CAD

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  5. Pete74

What about Project's PhonoBox S ?

6. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

I'm sure it's all OK. But at your budget. it really is a budget box, all the parts are made to a price. I doubt they'd all sound very different from one another. IMO YMMV.

I think at $1000+ is where you start to get to a real phono stage.

Have you considered just saving money? I see that you're using a vintage receiver which I assume has an MM input already. Just save up and get a nicer integrated, like a Rega Brio which also have MM inputs
    Just a thought.

7. Pete74

For sure..... I'm really just weighing some options. Getting this RP8 has kinda sent me a bit over the top as I really wasn't planning to get a TT in that range.

displayname likes this.
  8. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Yeah the RP-8 is beautiful...and currently, significantly "better" than the rest of your system. I'd save up and try to balance them so no single component is the "weak link", if that makes any sense. Just enjoy your system as is!

Bananas&blow, displayname and Dubmart like this.
  9. pfink

pfink Forum Resident

Matt Richardson and Pete74 like this.
  10. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Lounge gets a lot of love here. Search for that.

dbsea likes this.
  11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I think the opposite is true - something like the old Cambridge Audio 640P - which was about 300 - is pretty damn fine - and once you start going up in price - the benefits are not as large.

I think for the price range - say < 500 - you can get a very nice 'noticable' upgrade from going to an external & dead quiet phono pre.

my .02$

Thanks,

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think the deck deserves a better phono stage, not up on Canadian pricing, but someone mentioned $1,000 and that sounds more realistic to me, likewise the suggestion to live with your current gear and save up makes sense, if you like the deck now you will love it with better gear.

displayname and Pete74 like this.
  13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I recommend the Lounge LCR III. Search this forum for everything you would ever want to know about it. Good luck. :)

Bananas&blow likes this.
  14. EvUnen

EvUnen New Member

As for the Musical Fidelity V90-LPS, I bought a pack of 5 ferrite beads for $2 on AliExpress and put those on the power cord to solve the noise problem with the power supply. All static noise is gone now.

15. Andrew Harrod

Andrew Harrod Member

I recently bought a rega mm mk2 to go with my rp40 turntable. It is now paired with my rp8, and is doing me fine. They are designed to compiment their own turntables.

16. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Have you considered a Graham Slee GramAmp2 SE? I have provided a link: depending on location they will send you a trial unit so you can "try before buy"
    Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE Phono Stage

Liquid Len likes this.
  17. Helom

Helom Forum member

I bet the built-in preamp in your CA-610 is as good, if not better than most budget units.

18. Pete74

It's certainly better than the preamp in my other amp (Akai AM-2850). I've ordered a Schiit Mani (based on a review in another thread here and on HiViNyws youtube channel) since my original post. If it's not better, I'll sell it off I guess.

kenbefound likes this.
  19. Andrew Harrod

Andrew Harrod Member

You can't seem to get that pre-amp in the uk. Don't know why, gets good reviews.

20. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Schiit Audio Europe
    The Mani's currently out of stock however.

21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I own both the Pluto and the Mani. The Pluto has the midrange that's missing from the Mani. The Fremer poll conforms to what I hear. I prefer the Pluto. I don't understand why people ignore/discount the Fremer poll. :)

H8SLKC likes this.
  22. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

Graham Slee Gram Amp 2SE as already mentioned by Frimleygreener. An excellent 'real world' phono stage at a realistic price point. Fremer also extols the virtues of Graham Slee pre-amps, the Era Gold in particular; definitely worth checking out, especially given the established home trials network.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Pete74

The one I ordered from Schitt has already shipped...

24. Pete74

Didn't discount or ignore it.... hadn't even seen it. Which is strange as I've been on analogplanet's site many times.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. irender

irender Forum Resident

The Lounge MKIII would work exceptionally well with the 2M bronze. It does with my Ortofon OM30.

bluemooze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.