Phono stage in the RA-12 or preamp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by macolle, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macolle

macolle New Member Thread Starter

Sorry guys, I'm a bit new to all this.

Basically starting with an existing Rotel RA-12 (plan to upgrade in the future.) Receiving a new VPI classic 1 + Grado Platinum. Was reading "vinyl lovers won’t be tempted to ditch their head amps by the phono stage in the RA-12." Curious if I should consider an alternate was to pair the two? Possibly a preamp to AUX vs the RA-12 phono stage? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Why dont you wait and listen to how it sounds first. If it sounds good keep it if not start looking for a better phono stage.

BTW had the Platinum on a Project 2 Xperience table. It is a wonderful cartridge. Have since upgraded to a Reference Statement. Grado wooden body cartridges are awesome. they track well and have very low surface noise. Enjoy

3. macolle

macolle New Member Thread Starter

Thank you. I'm totally going to roll with it at first... Simply asking what I might be looking at if/when needed. Also, I'm super happy with what I'm reading on the Grado. Looking forward to this.

4. Andrew E

Andrew E New Member

Hello Macolle, I also purchased an RA12 around the same time as you. I was wondering what you made now of the phone stage and what options you considered, tested or indeed, have now purchased.
    with a recent purchase of Quad 12l speakers, I really did show up the phono stage as, although fine, not good enough (for me) and difficult to drive. i am listening to a number of phono stages tomorrow including the Music fidelity, rega fono and creek OH15.
    cheers

5. kdejonge

kdejonge Forum Resident

I have a rotel ra-12 as well, what did you end up deciding?

6. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

I realise the last response to this thread was over a year ago, but as an RA-12 owner I'd be interested in reading any follow-up from the participants or others. Specifically if a phono preamp proved to be a significant improvement over the phono stage. Thanks.

7. Jazzphile32

Jazzphile32 Forum Resident

I have a Lounge LCR phono stage hooked up to an RA12 I recently picked up. To my ears they complement each other well, very natural sounding and detailed.

I haven't tried my turntable with the RA12 phono input yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.