phono to dvd recorder

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Alistair Maclean, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alistair Maclean

Alistair Maclean Active Member Thread Starter

i am looking for a phono dvd recorder , i am looking for a second hand one i have read about other people using ones that are relatively cheap old hi fi gear , i wondering if anyone can recommend a high quality dvd recorder to convert my lps , but quite low cove around £40 , am not sure what to look for or if there is a specific name given to this type of dvd recorder .:winkgrin:

2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Why don't you use Cirlinca software ($39) for recording up to 2496 onto DVD-R in DVD-V or DVD-A formats. All you would have to do then is do your needle drops into your computer.

Alistair Maclean likes this.
  3. Alistair Maclean

thanks I will look in to that , but wouldn't a dedicated recorder give a higher quality ?

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Sony makes quite a few dvd recorders you could find on the used market, thing is how are the A/D converters and what do they record at?

5. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

yeah id wager the a/d wouldn't be the best, and that its 16/48 only.

c-eling likes this.
  6. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I have a Philips DVD recorder and the problem with it is the discs that it made only played in other DVD recorders, not just any DVD player as that is what I needed it to do. It was about $119 I think about 4 years ago. I even took a burned disc up to my local Walmart where I bought it and the associate their let me try every player they had and it would only play in a Sony and Panasonic DVD recorder they had. It would not play in any other DVD player they had. Not sure why.

I am not sure what audio format it would record in if I used it as a stand alone recorder.

My needle drop protocol is from a out of my phono stage or preamp into a Tascam DR-2d (the new model is a DR-22wl) at 2496 . I then dump those files into my computer into Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio ($59) as my DAW and save them as wav files. I then can pull them into Cirlinca for Burning as 2496 wav files as either DVD-Vs that will play in most DVD players, of as a DVD-A that will play in DVD players that decode that format, like my Yamaha S-1800. It does not play DVD-Vs, but all my Sony DVD players play DVD-Vs.

It sounds more complicated than it is, but the burned DVDs sound great and I can share them with anyone who has even a cheap DVD player.

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Novation Audiohub 2x4

RCA analog in, USB to desktop (also analog out). 24/96 ADC.

$200, sometimes discounted to $150.

http://us.novationmusic.com/accessories/audiohub-2x4#

I don't have vinyl anymore, but have been using it to record SACDs (and soon HDCDs) directly from the player for storage on the server. I use Audacity (free) software to record. The 2x4 is sold as a DJ device, so I don't know if it has audiophile cred. But it does have a 24/96 ADC, and recordings sound very good to me.

Disclaimer: I'm among the least audiophile-y people on this forum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

OP, do you mean DVD Recorder or do you actually mean CD Recorder?

If you do mean DVD Recorder then I'd recommend Panasonic, or Sony, but to be honest any major brand will do the job, black machines tend to be newer than silver and you can definitely pick them up for under £40.

If you mean CD Recorder then be aware that domestic ones require special blank CD-Rs labelled CD-R Audio, these cost much more than normal blank CDs, machines to look for: Marantz, Pioneer, Philips, Sony, Teac. There are professional machines from HHB, Marantz, Tascam etc., that will take any blank CD-R, but you will be very lucky to get a fully working pro machine for £40.

Alistair Maclean likes this.
  9. Alistair Maclean

yes i meant CD thanks Dunmart very usefull i will look into what you said , do you have a cd recorder that you use yourself and if so what is the brand and model number thanks

10. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I have been using a Phillips from the CDR series , i bought it 20+ years ago , it's starting to get tired ........
    Computer is certainly the way most are going to do this , if i were to buy a new one i think i would get the Tascam pro/studio series if i wanted a stand-alone

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I use a hard drive recorder these days and record in much higher definition than the CD format, I can also copy the recordings to my computer and downsample to burn a CD-R if I wish, I use a Korg MR-1000, but there are much cheaper options from Tascam, Zoom and others. When I regularly used CD recorders I tended to use professional machines from Marantz and HHB, I have also used domestic machines that require CD-R Audio discs from Marantz, Traxdata, Pioneer and Philips, Marantz was the best, both pro and domestic, but all the models I used are rather old now and unless you found one very cheaply or knew 100% that it had very little use I'd avoid them. If buying new I would totally agree with Davidmk5 above and get a Tascam CDR900 MKII, if you live in the States $299 on Amazon, if you live in the UK I would consider the Teac CDRW 890, £219 from Richer sounds plus another £21 for a six year extended guarantee. Teac and Tascam are the same company and as far as I can tell the two machines are very similar, except the Teac requires more expensive CD-R Audio discs whereas the Tascam can use any blank CD-R, it really depends on where you live.

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Just to add, if you do buy second hand Marantz and Traxdata are generally re-badged Philips with Marantz using better components or being tweaked for better sound, Pro Marantz recorders also tended to be based on Philips models, but better built and pro machines could use any disc, the Pioneers were decent when you could buy them new quite cheaply, but in my experience are the least reliable with drive failures and digital failures, so I'd avoid Pioneers also Sony's especially the twin deck had a reputation for problems, any minor brand is also best avoided.

13. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Used to have a Phillips CDR recorder, was finicky as hell resulting in quite a few silver 'coasters'. I than had a Pioneer Elite, beautiful unit and was a strong performer, hardly any coasters. But she got old and currently I'm using a Tascam CD RW 900. She's a beast. Connected to the big rig I can record music from DVD, CD, LP, & MP3's!

14. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Did you Finalize the disc before trying it on other players?

15. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Yes.

16. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

----------------------------------------
    My Steinberg UR-22 is usb, and does up to 24/192 and works great with either 2 mic or switchable to line in. $150 at Sweetwater.com

gd0 and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.