Physical Graffiti vinyl reissue quality thread - defects/distortion?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I use the heavier square bottomed ones to replace paper sleeves, but, yeah the round bottoms work great if you're keeping inner sleeves like PG.

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yeah...that's the plan. I have tons of cardboard inners that could use some help

ibanez_ax likes this.
  3. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

I'm listening to the first LP, Optimal pressing. clean and quiet. But IMO I think its a bit forward sounding. Not really crackable like the others. Am I way off base here?

4. What do 'forward sounding' and 'crackable' mean?

5. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Forward sounding = tad bit bright
    Crackable is a mispelling ...meant to say crankable

6. Just like the Classic Zep III, I perceive the 'brightness' as clarity. I haven't really cranked it much yet, though.

7. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Amen! Damn, I bought vinyl for years and years and years as a kid, and it was no better than the vinyl of today. We didn't have the sterility of CD's and MP3's to compare it too, and we understood the inherent imperfections of the physical media, which I might add are a fact of vinyl life. People today are completely unrealistic with their expectations of vinyl. Scratches and non-fill are not acceptable, but seriously people, get real. In most cases it's you, not the medium. Go digital if you can't deal with the realities of vinyl, such as the odd tick and pop. Continue to beat up the pressing plants for BS complaints, and watch the prices soar, or watch the medium start to die off due to decreased profit margins. Mob mentality indeed.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Hawklord, LSP and Mazzy like this.
  8. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the self-righteous threadcrap. Wah wah wah, "When we were kids we walked ten miles backward through the snow uphill to get to school, and we liked it!"

If you hadn't noticed, several of us did wind up having significant problems with this set and had to exchange.

I think most of us know how to live with minor vinyl imperfections. It's the nature of the format.

This forum sometimes. Jeeze. No one put a gun to your head and forced you or Mazzy to read this thread or threadcrap in it.

Stefan likes this.
  9. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

You're welcome. It's unusual to see you in a thread not drooling over Prince. Welcome. Ha.

10. It's not thread capping and we don't doubt some folks are having problems.

I worked in the record biz for 7 years during the 1970s and saw many LP returns back then. Some folks returned for real reasons and there were others who wanted to exchanged an album with the slightest tick ( but not many ).

The internet has simply magnified this since we read about problems others may be having and then listen for those problems at times more than the music. People more than ever are waiting for that defect because someone has posted about something .

In the days when vinyl was king we accepted many of the so called defects that some people don't now.

But I rarely returned a record back in the 70s and I aquired thousands of them.

LSP likes this.
  11. Ben Adams

And I managed used record stores for nearly a decade. So? Even with that experience, opening this thread seemed like a good idea. It's been useful to quite a few forum members having this thread open, and the people posting here don't deserve to read dismissive posts referring to a "mob mentality." You guys could phrase your points of view in a way which doesn't sound as dismissive and insulting to the folks who have been trading information here.

ParloFax likes this.
  12. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I think you are missing his point. or just taking it personally....

Mazzy likes this.
  13. The labels are always hyping the benefits of heavy vinyl and certain pressing plants. I'm putting down my money, so they better put their money where their mouth is.

14. I understand your concerns. I have all 6 deluxe boxes and had one minor issue on one LP that in reality I would hardly have noticed if I had read about it here.

Nothing wrong with that but sometimes if makes you listen differently. Listen to find a problem. Anticipating it.

In the colored vinyl Bjork thread someone was upset that his white LP had a small black swirl than a few others noticed the same. In that case it doesn't even affect the sound.

15. I think there are 3 categories of vinyl consumers. Personally, I belong to the middle category.

16. Ben Adams

Apologies to The Trinity and Mazzy. You guys raised valid points about what some folks seem to be expecting from vinyl, and I got caught up on one little phrase. Virtual handshake?

superstar19 and Stefan like this.
  17. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Reporting in to say that I received my replacements from the good Dr. Rhino today. What was interesting was that this time, they sent a brand new sealed copy, not just LPs in white cardboard sleeves. In my case, I requested both LPs from the main album in my deluxe set be replaced, and I received a brand new shrink wrapped copy of the main album

I will report back after a thorough listen...God I hope I am finally fixed here, as this will be my 3rd copy.

I will also say again that on both the previous copies I had, I did not have the distortion issue, or at least not anything my ears hear, but I did have very obvious non-fill issues with the dreaded "ripping paper" sound that were quite frankly, unforgivable

18. Ha! Never have to apologize to me. I love the mix of discussions and opinions. In terms of these specific records, I know a bunch of folks had issues. I didn't. but having worked in the records biz it the heyday of LPs, I saw such a wide variety of buyers who were very picky to not so much. And we didn't have the mass sharing of opinions via the internet we now have. Just a different world and we all know vinyl, as great as it can sound, it a far from perfect medium. And as we read about some problems or aberration, some of us tend to listen harder for than. Sometimes it's something we may have never noticed.

Ben Adams likes this.
  19. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

UPS just dropped off my replacement copy from Dr. Rhino. It's a brand new sealed 2 LP version! I opened it up and both discs "look" flawless and lay flat on my turntable. I'll be listening to it over the next day or so. Hopefully there won't be any audible defects with these!

20. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

I've never really felt that the Classics were that bright anyway. I only have III and PG though. The new masters sound 'polished' to me - a slightly cleaner presentation, but not tonally worse or better. However, what the Classic PG and III do have is - what I can only describe as - heft. It's a big heavy sound. The drums on Trampled Underfoot are heavy like swinging a body over a cliff. My only other benchmark is the Page/Marino version, which sounds like a C90 in comparison. I'm sure this can all be understood in terms of waveforms, but the bottom line is that someone buying PG for the first time is getting a good master at a good price. I've bought it 3 times now, and one was expensive* and one was a dud.

*Seemed expensive at the time, but looking at resale prices I guess I got a bargain.

21. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Just finished playing...FINALLY acceptable copy on try 3! Zero no fill issues, flat and minor acceptable surface noise. Thank God

22. Ben Adams

By the way, I got my replacement PG from Dr Rhino towards the end of last week, but today is the first chance I've had to check it out. LP 1 is perfect, and takes care of my gripes with repeated clicking and non-fill. LP 2 was unacceptably noisy with the dreaded Rice Krispies, so I've put together a good set by combining the decent pressings from both copies. All is well. Thank goodness there are only three titles left in this reissue program, because this is getting exhausting.

Edit: CRAP. I forgot my first copy also had a repeating click for the first minute of "In the Light" on LP 2. Well, even with that click, it's still better than LP 2 from the replacement copy. But grrr!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Dino likes this.
  23. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Have an excellent Japanese copy and an original minty US pressing of Physical Graffiti, so I'm not touching this one.

24. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

I'm confused...both of my copies of iv and HOTH had perfectly replicated inners!

Are you referring to something other than the inner record sleeves?

Dino likes this.
  25. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

We had poor recycled vinyl at times but we didn't have terrible record plant qc, non fill and other issues

Hawklord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.