Pick One: Zuma, Stills, Wind On The Water, Tonight's The Night, Stills Live

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cass, Oct 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cass

cass Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which is your favourite solo CSNY/related group 1975 album?
    I'm aiming to do a poll for each year of the 70's, where applicable, except their debuts which has been covered a lot.
    All releasing very good albums this year, I feel both of Stills are very underrated. A year off releasing records allowed him to come up with one of his best, most mature albums. The acoustic side of his live album is great but the electric side rocks especially his Buffalo Springfield cover Special Care. Neil has two very good albums, the guitar playing on Zuma is great, and potentially the best C&N duo album. Either this one or their debut.

1972 albums poll: Pick One: Manassas, Harvest, Graham Nash David Crosby
    1973 albums poll: Pick One: Time Fades Away, Down The Road, Wild Tales, Byrds

2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Zuma with Wind on the Water a close second.

abzach and notesofachord like this.
  3. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Zuma.... Tonight's The Night is almost as good, maybe even better in terms of songs but Zuma has his best guitar playing.

DTK, Guy E, Sneaky Pete and 4 others like this.
  4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

This.

rockclassics likes this.
  5. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

ZUMA

Just the perfect rock record with the right amount of tenderness.
    Perfectly balanced...
    And Neil's guitar tone throughout is
    the best he's ever gotten !
    IMO

6. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I voted "Zuma" but it and "Tonight's the Night" are two of my favorite records period, not just favorite CSNY albums from 1975.

7. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I am sure Young will win as usual, but Wind On The Water is an exceptional album. It was the only one of these to hit the Top 10 when released, and it was given much praise. How it got buried over the years is a shame. It is a fine album. They came close to having a hit single with “Carry Me” and FM radio played the title track a lot. Too bad AF did not work their magic on it.

Musician95616 and babyblue like this.
  8. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Tonight's The Night :love:

I know it's not a genuine 1975 record, but I don't care.
    There is fantastic stuff on the other albums, specially Wind On The Water, and Neil's guitar tones on Zuma are perfect, but Tonight's The Night is a rare album on which I wouldn't change a hair!

Not even Homegrown enchants me that much.

Man at C&A and CrawdaddySim1 like this.
  9. cass

Agree. Wind On The Water was the only album of all of these to go Gold at the time. (Zuma was eventually certified in 1997) Probably what led to the Stills/Young reunion the year after, especially as Young's albums were the lowest charting of the groups that year.
    Probably the first year C&N were bigger than Stills and Young as individuals

JDeanB likes this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

1. Wind On The Water
    2. Stills
    3. Zuma/Tonight's

Wind On The Water is a stone cold cold classic for me. One of the best records to come out of the whole CSNY catalogue. Stills is not too far behind. Another one I play regularly. I quite like the two Neil albums but I'd have to cherry pick a compilation from them to reach the dizzy heights of his erstwhile bandmates. I've never heard Stills Live.

cass and JDeanB like this.
  11. cass

I'd recommend you listen to it, the acoustic side is classic Stills, and the electric side really rocks. I would hope one day that there's a reissue with the whole concert. He played a live full band version of We Are Not Helpless that i'd like to hear, I think the only time he played it except some solo 1970 versions.

carlwm likes this.
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm not big on live albums but you've piqued my interest in this one. Didn't know it was an acoustic/electric split. I have the Live At Shepherd' Bush album (bought it because I was at the show) which is similarly set up and excellent. Be nice to hear him doing something akin to that in his prime!

Thanks for the heads-up! :righton:

cass likes this.
  13. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

14. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Zuma. I had gone deep into Neil around Stars and Bars, Comes A Time, Decade and Rust Never Sleeps. I was astonished how much I liked this music. This around 1978-79. I’d also bought Crazy Moon by Crazy Horse and I love that record too!

Shortly after RNS came out, I picked up Zuma on 8 track for super cheap. It repeated Pardon My Heart twice! Freaking 8 tracks! Anyhow, this tape blew me out of the water.

I love TTN. The other two are very good. Zuma went right into my veins.

15. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Easy. Zuma was one of the first Neil albums I bought and it still my favorite. I remember hearing the Wind on the Water on the radio and liking it quite a bit

16. cass

How many people who are voting have actually heard all 5 albums in the poll?

17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

My vote? Tonight's the Night.

"Welcome to Miami Beach. Everything is cheaper than it looks."

[​IMG]

18. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I went with Tonight's The Night...my first NY album

However for me these polls highlight what a wealth of stunning material CSNY were producing, and IMO up until the 90's NY was simply one of 4 very talented musicians. I think he only pulled away for a period during the 1990's and 2000's when the other 3 were far less productive and simply touring too much as CSN and rehashing the hits. That said, Crosby has pulled away above them all this past decade.

19. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Zuma

20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Croz' recent albums have been great. Love them all and he's certainly been prolific but I wouldn't put them ahead of Stephen's work with The Rides or, indeed, Graham's This Path Tonight record, which is my favourite CSNY related release since After The Storm.

I'm delighted that all three have been making exciting music in recent times.

21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Zuma
    Tonight's the Night

fenderesq likes this.
  22. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

It's a tough one I acknowledge... and it's not my vote; I'd go with the guy right above me... the guy with the pipe... but Stills self-titled... only 4%. I know... tough competition; but it hurts to see a classic getting SO slaughtered.

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Neil's guitar sound was absolutely killer around this time. Along with Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere he never sounded better. His 70s were incredible.

24. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

There are four great studio records on that list.

Zuma and Tonight’s the Night are prime Neil, one vaguely commercial and one from deep in the ditch. Both great. As Neil’s status has grown, so has the status of these albums, which were not big albums for him at the time (Rust Never Sleeps was a commercial comeback).

The Stills album is underrated. His last great album, continuing the sound that he developed from the Springfield through CSN, CSNY, Manassas and his solo career. Times were changing and he hadn’t, but removed from the times it is a remarkably consistent piece of work.

And Wind on the Water is the Crosby/Nash album that most reflects the CSNY sound. Crosby especially is great on that album. My fav CN album.

A CSN album could have been epic, and a double (triple?) CSNY album scary.

The live Stills album is nice, there are some good thing, it probably would have been better as a double live like everyone was doing at the time.

Musician95616 and carlwm like this.
  25. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Tonight's The Night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.