Pink Floyd Animals Immersion Set / What To Include

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jeffrey walsh, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I disagree. Here's what is known to exist and could be included:

Animals (2011 Remaster)
    Animals (1977 Quad mix)
    Animals (early studio versions from 1976)
    Live soundboard recording of a complete 1977 show (the band recorded every show on a Nagra via the soundboard)
    Animals (Needle-drop of original UK vinyl release)

High resolution version could also be included.

Perhaps even a 5.1 mix but this is unlikely with everything that Guthrie has on his plate right now.

Here's a brief review I wrote of the recently leaked work-in-progress studio tracks...

Originally appearing on a bootleg LP titled “The Extraction Tapes,” these recordings feature early studio versions of songs from the “Animals” album. These are not demos (and it’s still unknown if demos were ever made for these songs), if they were they would have been recorded back in 1974 as “Raving & Drooling” and “Gotta Be Crazy.” These studio recordings were made somewhere between April and December of 1976 when the band was at Brittania Row recording the album. Early versions of “Sheep” and “Dogs” were performed live on the 1974 and 1975 tours, continuing to be developed even after being scrapped for the “Wish You Were Here” album. What we have here are early studio versions of the songs around the time that the "Animals" concept fell into place.

"Dogs" is now sung almost entirely by Roger in his own unique style, an interesting alternative to Gilmour's vocals. I like Roger's take on this a lot but I’m also glad that the first part of the song was ultimately sung by David, highlighting how vital both of these artist's voices were in portraying the Pink Floyd sound. With Gilmour singing most of this song on the recent tours it makes one wonder if there was a conflict in regards to who would end up singing this on the album. The lyrics and structure of this take fall somewhere between the live versions and final studio recording. Missing and alternative guitar solos and keyboard parts will be obvious to anyone familiar with this track. Also absent is the "stone, stone, stone..." sequence as this version awkwardly segues back to the opening guitar riff just at it did during live performances. And for anyone who ever wondered what happened to the missing closing lyrics that appeared on the original LP sleeve but were never recorded for the album well here they are!

Who was fitted by bridle and bit?
    Who was given a seat in the stand?
    Who was forcing his way to the rain?

This take of "Sheep" is actually closer to "Raving & Drooling" and is still sung with the original lyrics. The sections that haven't been written yet serve to highlight the great musicianship of the band, especially Gilmour's incendiary guitar playing. Wright's jazzy organ solo is absent from the opening of the song which makes this sound like a retread of the "psalm" sequence (which is missing The Lord’s Prayer), coming off like a light version of "One of These Days." Waters vocal delivery (and screaming) is even more venomous than on the official studio recording. The versions of both of these songs provide an amazing missing link between the live and official studio recordings.

"Pigs" is very close to the officially released version. After fully realizing the "Animals" concept for this album Waters penned "Pigs (3 Different Ones)" while working on the other 2 songs. It makes one wonder how close the initial recordings of this track were to the final version to begin with. Obviously missing here are some of Gilmour’s best work, yet to be recorded, especially the blazing guitar part that closes this song.

With the widespread sharing of these recordings on the 37th anniversary of the release of “Animals” fans can finally start to piece together their own Immersion set… marbles, scarfs and other crap are optional.

2. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I downloaded "The Extraction Tapes" yesterday from a well known Floyd torrent site. I'm looking forward to listening with headphones and a few beverages of the alcoholic variety tonight.

KariK and rontoon like this.
  3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Agreed. I think that the whole "Immersion" model was bloated and overdone from the start, setting up huge expectations that maybe the sales didn't ultimately justify. I would personally welcome more streamlined sets for some of the less well known albums, particularly in cases where maybe there aren't as many choice studio outtakes to choose from. Reissues more along the lines of what King Crimson and Jethro Tull have been doing would be optimal, IMO.

ShawnX likes this.
  4. garyc4242

garyc4242 New Member

I've always thought animals cut a little to close to the bone for most....including a lot of die hard floyd fans..its not always so comfortable taking a hard look at yourself in the mirror after a good listen of that lp..as waters said of dogs its a cruel song but fair....I have to believe the band has footage of the 77 tour. As for meddle I bet there's tons. Wasent pompeii shot around that time...id love to see some of that footage that never made it into the film......cheers

5. Depends on the animal. Porcupine, dog, pig (it should be the latter two In keeping with the album and the latter should, of course, include any genitalia unless Waters and Gilmour have a disagreement). Maybe 3. That's the magic number.

John Fell likes this.
  6. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I'm no expert but I like Floyd a lot. I didn't buy any of these "big sets". They look like lots of pretty packaging and very little substance. I would love a live DVD and interesting remixes, maybe a few demos. I'm not interested in postcards or marbles. And...I am not paying for a bunch of silly cra@. Sorry.

This band could make some amazing box sets if they opened the vault. What's come out just isn't that interesting.

7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Unfortunately the band isn't interested in what we want and had little input in the Immersion releases.

ShawnX likes this.
  8. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I know. I'm sure they don't need the revenue.

Still it's a chance to give us fans a little back. A few years ago I passed on a huge cd-r set with tons of cool stuff. I regret that move. Oh well...

9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Unfortunately they don't feel obligated, motivated, or the need to give anything back to the fans either. That's why it's so great when things like this surface!

10. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Yup. None of this is happening.

However, if it did continue in any way, I wouldn't want any more lavish 12x12 box sets. Experience-esqe editions would do just fine, imo, albeit better packaging would be nice.

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

By leaving the field wide open, they're practically begging the bootleggers to come in and fill the void. I'm not usually a big one for such "unofficial" releases, but you kind of need them with Floyd. As rontoon suggests, it seems like the remaining three just can't be bothered with these archival projects.

12. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.batterseapowerstation.co.uk

13. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Exactly. Though Nick seems to be a bit more generous, in terms of anything released at all. Wasn't he working on a Floyd documentary of sorts?

14. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

How often did you listen to the early mix of "Dark Side" from the Box? Or other unfinished "work in progress"? It's interesting once or twice if you like to study their music. But apart from that the original is the real thing. So unless there are unused songs I see no potential for an exciting Animals set. Cause the really essential early live versions are already there.
    I don't mind a good live album from the Animals-tour at all. Or other tours - they were an exciting live band until "The Wall". But I see no point in another release selling us the same stuff we already have for a fifth or sixth time.

rontoon likes this.
  15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

All three tracks are now on YouTube.
    Pink Floyd Demo's 1976 Alternative version Rare

Are we allowed to post YouTube links here?

Kim Olesen likes this.
  16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Hardcore Floyd fans can't get enough of things like this. I have repeatedly listened to the early mix of DSOTM and will undoubtedly listen to these early Animals tracks a lot. The Wall demos not so much. I also agree that they've been milking the heck out of the catalog and would prefer more concise releases like the Experience editions.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  17. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I don’t know. Floyd, more then most bands, has lots of little bits that hardcore fans would appreciate. The Snowy White solo? Extended version of some tracks. I've never heard those. A live DVD would be nice. 4 CDS in one smaller set would be perfect and half the price of these monster set with the winter wear. I don't play marbles so they should keep thoses.

:)

PhoffiFozz and rontoon like this.
  18. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

The "Why Pink Floyd" campaign came to an end for several reasons
    Poor sales (those box sets were expensive)
    Catalog rights changed hands
    Storm Thorgerson passed away

19. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

You know, it's funny, a friend of mine and myself were saying to each other how Roger Waters should do an Animals/Wish You Were Here tour after seeing The Wall show 2 years ago. I'd be there in a second!

Sapagrino and jeffrey walsh like this.
  20. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I'm probably in the minority but I like Animals better then Dark,Wish or Wall.
    I'm a more of a pre Dark Floyd fan But love Animals it hits the anger, contempt or aggression
    centers of my brain waves just right.

*Zod*, rontoon and masterbucket like this.
  21. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

22. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

23. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

24. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

+1
    Perfect album for an imperfect time.

One Louder likes this.
  25. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. I'm doing it at the moment. Only difference is that I'm using speakers. :D Sounds AMAZING!

Barnabas Collins likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.