Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No. I’m in the other Washington more than DC these days. Regardless, as much as love Steven Wilson’s 5.1 work, I don’t get much out of his own music.

JimW likes this.
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

This one isn't quite valid. If they have the product they'll sell it regardless of the time frame. It's more than likely a major issue with the multis.

3. rez21

rez21 Well-Known Member

Not off topic. I don't think you are reading that correctly. I'm not talking about KC or Tull. I'm talking about the style of a new Floyd box.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    formu_la and Myke like this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. It’s absolutely valid support for the argument there isn’t a ressonable chance of a 5.1 mix of The Wall.

FWIW, I do think there’s a reasonable chance for the others.

5. rez21

rez21 Well-Known Member

Can said fellow SH member (or any other kind soul) hook me up with this? I believe I can adequately show my appreciation..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  6. I hope it won't be hidden away in a way too expensive immersion set offering very little extra value otherwise. Otherwise, count me in. Also nice that the Amsterdam shows will be filmed, I'll be there the first night.

7. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Well we have The Wall 40th next year that would be a perfect time for a 5.1 and the movie on blu ray

LEONPROFF, JediJoker and andrewskyDE like this.
  8. rontoon

I respectfully disagree. Just because the 5.1 mix of The Wall wasn't completed at the time when the Wall Immersion box was released doesn't mean that it will never get released because it missed the opportunity to be included in that box. If and when James completes the project it will get released and that's the bottom line.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Ya think? But the optimal and logical time has passed - which puts the IF in doubt.

You’re so locked into this you’re not even reading what I’m writing.

Could it still happen? Sure. But, to repeat, it’s not reasonably likely and I wouldn’t hold my breath thinking it’s reasonably likely it will - for the reasons I cited.

10. rontoon

I'm not "locked in" to anything but perhaps you are? To state that "the optimal and logical time has passed" for this release is something that I simply don't agree with. Using words like optimal and logical are subjective. I could counter by stating that the optimal and logical time to release it would have been on one of it's milestone anniversaries so it's best to just agree to disagree. The other points you made were vaild but the IF you suggested doesn't exist.

DonnyMe and jdw like this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You're in denial if you think including a 5.1 mix in the The Wall Immersion box wasn't the optimal and logical place & time to do it. There are many reasons for this, not the least being the rapid phaseout of physical digital media and the lack of infrastructure for distributing 5.1 mixes other than physical media.

12. rontoon

Sorry everyone, I promise that this is my last post on this topic.
    We've gotten off-point by introducing distracting adjectives. The point of my original comment was that you stated (in one of your 3 points) that you believe that there won't be a reasonable chance of seeing a 5.1 release of The Wall because the opportunity came and went. That's a non-factor, IMO.

Frans T and Wolfspaw like this.
  13. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

You sound like your sorry, not sorry.

Which, lets face it, seems more like not sorry.
    You want to take the high road but are undercutting yourself if you think you are the only person in the real world and have to respond to every comment on the last couple of pages. Geesh!

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The great thing about wishful thinking is one can rationalize it forever until it is explicitly denied - and even then wishful thinkers can still find cause to rationalize.

In the meantime, the time has passed, the clock is ticking and the world is moving on. So am I...next topic.

15. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

WHAT??? Are you passing on the pig marbles....?

JediJoker likes this.
  16. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I would purchase that.

17. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

They had the artwork for the Wish you were here 5.1 in pictured in the Mind Over Matters book years before it was finally released. So just because they are preparing the artwork, does not mean it will come out anytime soon or if at all.
    They talked about the 5.1 of The Wall being done more than five years ago, and we still have not seen the release of that yet.
    But I hope this does come out at some point.
    Also it seems we might get a DVD of Rogers new tour as well.

aphexj likes this.
  18. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

James Guthrie was asked in a interview at the time that the SACD of WYWH was released about the 5.1 of The Wall, he said that he was working on TWO 5.1 mixes, one for the movie which he was doing first because Roger wanted to release the film first; and then he would work on the album but with the caveat that the tapes needed lots of work and it would take him years to complete. I could be wrong but he either said or implied that he had begun to pull the tapes and was working on it.

Analog Productions is re-releasing the SACD's of Darkside and WYWH this fall. Plus it appears that Animals is coming at about the same time.

I would love to be wrong, but The Wall seems more likely next year for the big Anniversary. I also think that if the blu-ray of the movie is announced then his work is coming to fruition. Of course maybe he says it wasn't possible. Somebody should ask him or Roger how it is going.

19. rontoon

The release of Wish You Were Here in 5.1 was delayed for years because of legal reasons. This is not the case here. It's just my guess that this will be released towards the end of the year. There tend to be targeted release dates for these things.

20. rontoon

Great post. Thanks.

makedatmusic and JediJoker like this.
  21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Don't hold your breath for a Blu-ray/DVD of Waters current tour. I'm still waiting for one "promised" from the DSOTM tour and that was 2006/7

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  22. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

In a recent interview Roger mentioned he will be filming the Amterdam shows for a release. But, like you mentioned, he has done that before.

JediJoker likes this.
  23. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

If any tour needs a DVD release this is the one.
    A great visual show.

vitorbastos123 and mando_dan like this.
  24. rontoon

Different set of circumstances this time.

makedatmusic likes this.
  25. David Jakubowski

David Jakubowski Forum Resident

Honest question: what/why are the circumstances different this time? Thanks.

JediJoker likes this.