Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

They should invent and build a Nintendo Classic Mini sort of box that has all of the Pink Floyd catalog in 5.1 hi-res so you can just have it on the go no matter what format of player is around.

S. P. Honeybunch and Runicen like this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Why is that? It most certainly has everything to do with what you posted. You posted that "SACD is Guthrie's preferred format and 100% his call". I understand your point from a respective that SACD is James Guthrie's preferred audio format. But it apparently wasn't his call when his 5.1 mixes were released on Blu-ray and DVD in the Immersion sets. That's my point.

paddycook likes this.
  3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Yes, and that's all I was saying but you added...
    I never wrote that the other formats were his call or otherwise. I only posted about the SACD format that we were discussing.

jdw and Larry C. McGinnis III like this.
  4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Think rontoon means that the mixes were originally done for SACD and intended for that format, which is 100% Guthrie's call. Later decisions to stick them on blu-ray and dvd were after the fact.

andrewskyDE and rontoon like this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I understand that. But your post was in reply to mark winstanley's post. He posted that it might be better on Blu-ray for uniformity than on SACD. I took your response to mean that the release of Animals in 5.1 on SACD was his call. I tend to think that if Gilmour, Waters and Mason wanted the Animals 5.1 mix on Blu-ray that's the format that would be used IMO. Of course it's not and will be on SACD. But I still tend to think it's not James Guthrie's call and his alone to what format a Pink Floyd album will be released on.

paddycook likes this.
  6. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

I'd take that or a reprint of the t-shirt David Gilmour wore during the Animals tour.
    [​IMG]

7. rontoon

Yes, this exactly. Thanks.
    It is Guthrie's call.
    Of course this is the case but I don't think they care squat about the format. That's why they let James/AP have the SACD release while Paul Loasby probably makes the decisions regarding other formats (if they are to be released in other formats).
    Yet it is in regards to the SACD. They trust him to make that decision. That's all I was pointing out. :righton:

PhoffiFozz, jdw, makedatmusic and 6 others like this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have this shirt:

[​IMG]

(photo: rockcollection.co.uk)

9. rontoon

I was at that show (July 2nd)!

10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Nope. Nobody would accidentally buy a BluRay thinking that they could get better sound out of their regular cd player.

11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Murph and snkcube like this.
  12. Wolfspaw

Wolfspaw Forum Resident

Would re-releasing a CD or even a bluray these days even be considered a "mass marketing" device as opposed to SACD?

I jest, but seriously CD's these days are not flying off the shelves and I'm not sure that millennials consider them "cool".

A hybrid SACD should be good for a lot of audiophiles. Notice I did not say ALL.

klockwerk likes this.
  13. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

This "authorized" reprint was done and sold at the Victoria Albert Museum when the Floyd exhibit was there. I think an official faded version was also sold by Lucky Jeans a few years ago. There may be other places it's available at too, those are just the ones I know about.

snkcube likes this.
  14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Correct.

I only know this because my young niece was visiting from the UK last year, and my wife and I must have accompanied her on a tour of every clothing emporium in the Bay Area and I came across the pig shirt in one of their stores.

Pink Floyd Pig | Lucky Brand

Derek Slazenger, jlf and superstar19 like this.
  15. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Disagree. Discs cost $30 bucks, you can get a decent universal player for $100. Used is fine too. Those things tend to last a long time. I remember when the Genesis boxes came out people were bitching about SACD when the players cost less than the box. All you need is a universal player with HDMI out.

Now, if you don't have an AVR with HDMI inputs you are SOL, but you can't argue that a movie set up is not a way to get a wide audience. What IS a way to get a wide audience? CDs? Vinyl? Blu-Ray? Most, not all, will play SACD. Hell, I've got an old Pioneer universal player I will trade you for a copy of the Animals SACD. It may even have an analogue out. PM me. Offer expires January 2020.

klockwerk likes this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yowza! Thirty quid, that's like fifty Canuckbucks give or take...I'll just stick with my Oakland '77 shirt:
    [​IMG]

17. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

Will the SACD have bonus tracks? What about a stereo remix?

RangerXT likes this.
  18. rontoon

If history repeats itself there won't be any bonus tracks or a new stereo mix, but there will be a CD layer on the hybrid.

From what I understand you all won't have to wait too much longer...

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wondering how this will be packaged. Similar as the WYWH SACD release?

20. rontoon

That would be my guess.

21. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

What happened to the deluxe edition with bonus tracks?

RangerXT and boggs like this.
  22. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Is there any *actual* traction on this being released or is it just talk, rumor, and innuendo that it maybe possibly sorta could be kinda conceivably likely...maybe?

This is one of those releases that makes me want to shout
    [​IMG]

chrischerm, RangerXT and boggs like this.
  23. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

As a surround mix has been done, it would be a little surprising (and hugely disappointing) is a new stereo mix isn't released - especially as most surrounds are done by first building a stereo mix. As for the package, I hope the charge isn't at the level of the AP "Wish You Were Here" hybrid SACD release. The cost to quality ratio for Floyd releases in recentish years really leaves a nasty taste in the mouth and is so hypocritical considering the lyrical material about avarice. But, Floyd don't seem to care about that any more. Hopefully, Animals will be a nice surprise rather than yet another (relative) let down.

24. rontoon

That was all conjecture. Still could happen I guess...

It's a done deal. Trust me, there's a street date.

This wasn't the case with WYWH so it's far from a given with this release.

25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I believe it was confirmed up thread.