Pink Floyd box sets : buying them all or individually?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floyd fan 71, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I have More only on cassette

Sci-Fi Kid and footlooseman like this.
  2. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

I'll just stream them. Zero interest in the videos or add on stuff, just the music.

3. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

I kinda dig the American Pickers quote, If you see it buy it right away, it may be gone tomorrow, and you will miss out. The quote isn't accurate, but you can dig it....

4. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I used to be of the same opinion, but since it was all or nothing when I bought the box I watched it all and was pleasantly surprised. A joy to see them as an active, tight unit in the pre-Dark Side years, combined with great sound quality.

Hattipper likes this.
  5. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I'll probably get Cambridge St/ation and pick and choose tracks for the other ones, but I may be tempted to go for some of the ones with good live shows.

6. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

I'm expecting the '69, '70 and '71 sets any day now. I'm sure I'll eventually pick up the other volumes but I have next to no interest in the Syd era.

Floyd fan 71 likes this.
  7. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Likewise!

8. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

And Tidal

9. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

Got the first one and the third one today...only had time to hear disc one of the first one, which was fantastic.
    i'm now away all weekend on night shifts, so the rest will have to wait ! well, I've waited this long I suppose !!

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Just picked up Cambridge St/ation. If that one seems satisfying, I'll probably get Germin/ation as well. Hopefully, the CD mastering is great! From the singles included, I want to assemble an "ultimate" early Floyd best-of; the Piper/Saucerful era is very close to my heart, even after a half-century of listening and dreaming.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  11. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I might buy one of the middle sets; maybe the one that has a couple of versions of The Narrow Way.

I have the 2 CD set cre/ation set and I need to see how much overlap there is with these individual sets. Is there a cheat sheet around with all that noted, by any chance?

Floyd fan 71 likes this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Originally I was keen on the big box set, but never had the money for that.
    So I bought 3 sub-boxes on Ebay (Germin/ation, Dramatis/ation and Continu/ation) by some private seller, long before the official individual volumes were announced.
    I will buy the rest of the volumes the coming weeks. So excited for Cambridge St/ation, this is a must have!

13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

If you mean Volume 7 (Continu/ation), this is exclusive to the big box set only.

14. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Im starting with the Syd era and moving my way around. Individual is the better payment plan.

Floyd fan 71, andrewskyDE and bhazen like this.
  15. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Too pricey for me at this point.I'm just glad they had the foresight to record for posterity all they did.

16. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

Whattt i thought they just had the sampler - NOW they've released the hounds?

17. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Got the 1970 one, to rip the Atom Heart Mother Quad mix.
    Already done that and it sounds great!!!

18. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I am quite interested in reverber/ation 1971 and obfusc/ation 1972, but I think I'll get only one box set, that is reverber/ation. I've been listening to obfusc/ation quite a lot on Spotify premium in the last two days - I am not very satisfied with the stereo remixes of OBC and Pompeii, they are too bright for my taste. I'll stick to the 2011 remaster for OBC. For Live at Pompeii I'll have to wait the November release on blu-ray, with the original video. Or perhaps I'll get the entire set from 7Digital and only keep Pompeii...

Floyd fan 71 likes this.
  19. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

1970 Devi/ation arrived yesterday and I can't wait to listen later today. I have been waiting 15 years or so to hear Atom Heart Mother in Quad or 5.1.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to the quad mixes of Atom Heart Mother, Echoes and Live At Pompeii in 5.1 :). I'm curious as to how you got your 1970 Devi/ation set so quickly. Are you in the UK? The three sets I ordered from Amazon.uk were shipped on 3/23 but won't arrive in the US till the first week in April.

21. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

The box sets were already on the shelves of jbhifi in Melbourne yesterday. Precisely on 24 March! :)

Bill Mac likes this.
  22. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Can anybody confirm if we are getting Live at Pompeii on DVD or Blue Ray as it was originally released without that extra "later footage" added in? I have the original on videocassette but want to upgrade.

Floyd fan 71 likes this.
  23. The two are my favorites from the box. You won't be disappointed.

24. bluej

bluej Senior Member

I'll be getting them all eventually, but I picked up the '65-'67, '69, and '70 sets to start. '68 looks cool too but since I have The Early Singles, Relics, and the Cre/ation sampler I already have about half the audio.

Simon

25. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

No.
    It's not the original movie. It's just the musical parts, re-edited (very badly), WITH some extra visual content I've never seen (some irrelevant content I must say), in a cropped 16/9 format and NOT IN HD, even on the Bluray. In fact I find the Pompeii footage in the 1972 set VERY disapointing, to say the least. Very bad picture quality, even in SD (compared with everything else in the Early Years box set).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    raimiz1991inc and Raving Russell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.