Pink Floyd box sets : buying them all or individually?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floyd fan 71, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Picked up 1971 and 1972. I'd be torqued if I bought the big box with OBC tossed in as an
    afterthought when it is presented so nicely on the 1972 box.

2. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Many thanks for this. Disappointing news, indeed.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

How is the Pompeii 5.1 audio quality? Disappointing that the video quality is so poor. But I'm hoping the 5.1 audio is in high-res DTS-MA.

4. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I have just watched it at a friend's place. Yes, it's lossless this time. I think it's better than the audio on the DVD, which was no-noised but it's bright. Still enjoyable and nice in 5.1, but I won't buy it. The video is standard quality and the two Echoes parts are now joined. I'll be fine with the digital purchase of the stereo remix.

Instant Dharma and Bill Mac like this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks!

albertop likes this.
  6. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Did I mention that "Mademoiselle Nobs" (aka Seamus) is also absent of this new version of the movie ? :realmad:

raimiz1991inc likes this.
  7. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

:shake:

8. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

I missed out on those low UK presale prices and ordered from Amazon US, Bill.

Bill Mac likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

10. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Similar to the Immersion series from a few years back, I'd like it if they could offer CD only editions of these sets without the DVD discs included. I say this only because I do not have a home theater system wherein I can access all features at my disposal, which is how I feel these sets are designed. I guess I'm old school(to a point), my current setup is my computer running an audio cable access to my amplifier and a 5 disc changer. So I can switch from physical to digital on a dime, but my TV and DVD are separate and I don't have additional speakers running thru this setup, so the DVD's included in these sets don't mean much to me from the audio aspect of it. Much like Jethro Tull's CD/DVD double sets from the last few years with "Aqualung", "A Passion Play" and "War Child", for example, I haven't bought these either and I'm still holding out for a more economical option of CD remastered/remixed only for a more modest price.

Again, in regards to Pink Floyd's Immersion series, wherein they offered the more economical alternative of the Experience editions of Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and The Wall with either live material or demo/outtakes, I'd like to see if they may do more of the same with this Early Years release campaign. On a side note, I did pick up the two disc sampler, "Cre/ation" and find it to be a decent overview of these box sets, so at least there's that.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I understand where you're coming from and hope there are CD only releases. But it seems to me that the offering of individual sets will be the only option other than buying the complete box set. I could be totally wrong in that assumption.

SonicBob likes this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

All or at least most of the Steven Wilson/Tull remixes are in fact available on single cd editions.

13. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Hmm. I guess I'll have to dig a bit on that one, as the only one I've seen so far is "Stand Up". Granted I access Amazon and perhaps should look at other sites like "Discogs" and maybe "AMG" for the availability. Thanks

14. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Yeah it surprised me. Thought they would settle for the Creation sampler in that respect.

AndoDoug likes this.
  15. Jim H

Jim H New Member

Any idea whether the individual release of the Reverber/ation Box set has the same Hidden surround mix of Meddle as on the larger box set (on the Blu-ray)?

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You don't have to yell ;). Reading through a Pink Floyd thread over at AVS it appears that the hidden 5.1 mix of Meddle has been removed. The posts are in the AVS link below starting at post #75.

Pink Floyd box set - New 5.1 mixes of "Meddle" and "Obscured by Clouds" - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Grunherz54 likes this.
  17. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

18. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

In case anyone's on the fence about ordering, Deep Discount is having a 15% off sale until Friday (code=ROTWANG). I ordered Dramatis/ation for 33.99.

Sci-Fi Kid likes this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Only bought 66-67 and I think that will suffice.

20. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

For anyone interested in the HDtracks 44/24 downloads, on another site it's being said that these null out with the CDs and all that is left is dither noise. That seems to indicate there is no extra music signal on the 44/24 over the CDs. Not that 44/24 is much of an advantage over 44/16, but it seems like there's none at all with these.

21. Stephen Birkett

Stephen Birkett Forum Resident

I posted this on the Early years thread.
    These sets look great but I cant afford all and the sets do look a bit repetitive. So if I was to only get two of these which two are the best. I am favouring the Obscured by Clouds 1972 with the Pompeii stuff but stuck on a second. Recommend away please Floyd fans of the Hoffman forum!!

22. moops

moops Senior Member

Love the avatar ....... you should be at the KISS Songs thread !

Floyd fan 71 likes this.
  23. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I posted this on a different thread, but it is probably more appropriate here:

I have a question about Cambridge Station individual set pricing.

The actual box set is $37.02 on Importcds with $2.99 shipping (which is the cheapest I have found it so far). HD Tracks has it at 44.1/24 for $32.99. Quboz has it in CD quality for a reasonable price (I can't get to checkout to see the exact amount), but it says I can't buy it in the US. Itunes has the audio for $20, but is of course lossy. Has anyone ran across any other buying options for Cambridge Station, as I try to make a decision?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  24. Floyd fan 71

Floyd fan 71 Forum Resident Thread Starter

i haven't heard a thing but I heard they won't upgrade Pompeii to blu ray because the quality can't any better than it is ? That's what I remember hearing at one time

25. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

For around $75. Yikes!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.