Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon - Best sounding CD (updated)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnyColourYouLike, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I don't think the Black Triangle sounds "dull", but it does sound "warm".

john lennonist and kevin5brown like this.
  2. music and movies

music and movies Forum Resident

It would be that much better if it had been sourced from the master tape, though. ;)

It will eventually be done, I hope. Audio Fidelity (or those UK-based SHM-SACD guys), get to it! :) There's a big market for that one.

3. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Yes and No. There are 2 types of Blackface (TO and Non-TO). You need to find one which is "Non-TO" in the matrix.
    The "TO" version is the Silverface CD mastering.

To re-cap, Sony did the first mastering/manufacturing in Japan(Black Triangle non TO).
    Then TOshiba started pressing their own CDs-hence Blackface Made in Japan Cds with TO matrix. There was a switch-over period where Sony and Toshiba both made the Blackfaces, so what you are looking for is a Sony (no TO) pressed Blackface. If it is a blackface with TO that is a Toshiba pressing same as your Silverface, Peter.
    What all this fuss is about, is getting the Sony mastering, not the Toshiba EMI mastering.
    Later Silverface CD don't use Sony's mastering, they use Toshibas(and it doesn't matter if the CD is Swindon/ Holland/ Italy, silverfaces are Toshiba mastering).
    Clear as mud, eh? ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Man at C&A, hi_watt and PhilBiker like this.
  4. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

The only problem I have with SHM-SACD is that it's single-layer. AF should get it so they can do a hybrid SACD.

5. music and movies

Oh, absolutely. It's important to have a Redbook layer if you want it to be the definitive CD version as well.

6. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

How about making your own cd from the 2003 SACD 2-channel mix? Isn't this from the original tape and isn't this mastering highly regarded?

7. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

To the pollester RE: Toshiba/EMI CP 35-3017 Black Traingle (TO or non-TO)

Why isn't the Black Triangle CP35 3017 non TO not broken out separately?

8. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

2011 remaster for me. The EMI 746 001 2 (made by EMI Swindon) and the European 1994 edition are also not bad. The redbook layer of the 2003 SACD is considerably worse. I once had the 20th anniversary, I remember it being good, but it's too long ago to remember it precisely.

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have compared a few, and for me it is the 2011 remaster in 96/24 found in the Blu-Ray that seems to get most of it right.

The Holy Grail is awesome too, but as it has Pre-Emphasis, it might not sound the same on every system.

Sevoflurane, audiomixer and ricks like this.
  10. music and movies

Don't get me wrong, I like the Black Triangle and MFSL. They seem to lack the best traits of the other, however. The MFSL is missing some midrange and sounds a bit trebly at times (vocals sound thin), but has more definition and clarity than the BT as it was sourced from the original master tape. The BT, on the other hand, has more midrange (more body) but doesn't have the glimmer that the MFSL has due to its being sourced from a higher-generation tape.

If the MFSL hadn't (apparently) been fudged with, it might be the definitive version. As of now, I guess we're all still waiting for Audio Fidelity or another label to get it 100% right -- master tape, minimalistic mastering.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  11. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Thanks for that, Daz.

I think.

PhilBiker and dbz like this.
  12. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

In my opinion, the 2011 has all the body and midrange lacking in the MFSL and also the clarity from the Black Triangle. The cymbals and vocals are just right on the 2011 - I don't have any preference guitar-wise, in that aspect, I like them all - that goes to show how good David Gilmour was.

crispi, Plan9 and Josh C like this.
  13. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member

This poll is totally inaccurate. The Harvest Blackface which was made in Japan for EMI (UK) circa 1984 is digitally identical to the Japanese Black Triangle CP 35-3017. It is a myth that only the Black Triangle CP 35-3017 is the best sounding version. It has 2 twins.:biglaugh:
    http://pinkfloydarchives.com/Articles/DSOTMCDM.htm

1) Mastering Number 1 – Sony (Japan) Mastering

Track Peak Levels: 39.9 / 43.3 / 70.1 / 55.2 / 72.3 / 44.5 / 53.9 / 54.6 / 61.2

The very first mastering of Dark Side of the Moon for compact disc. Believed to be done by Sony Records in Japan in the spring of 1983. This mastering was used to produce the very first copies of Dark Side of the Moon on CD, which were Japanese releases with the catalog number CP35-3017 and a black triangle on the label, and a matrix number that did not include a “TO.” These early Dark Side CDs were pressed by CBS / Sony Records at their CD manufacturing plant in Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan for EMI Records. EMI did not have a CD pressing plant in operation at the time, so they outsourced the manufacturing of the CDs to CBS / Sony (keep in mind that these early Sony pressings still say Toshiba/EMI on the labels).

It is believed that this mastering was made from a 15ips reel-to-reel tape copy of the master tape that had been sent to Japan to produce the Dark Side Of The Moon-EMI/Toshiba Records Pro-Use Series vinyl LP album, which was the last vinyl pressing of Dark Side in Japan.

Known releases of mastering #1:

Australia first issue - Harvest Records, 7 46001-2, CD made in Japan

Japan first issue - EMI Records, catalog number CP35-3017, first pressings by CBS/Sony, indicated by no “TO” in the matrix

U.K. first issue - Harvest Records, catalog number CDP 7 46001 2, black Harvest label, Made in Japan on label, matrix has CP35-3017 with no “TO”

1985 was the last year that mastering #1 was used.
    This mastering is the definitive version of this album. Forget MFSL, the 1994 Sax remasters and everything else! :righton:

In early 1986, EMI Records created their own mastering of Dark Side of the Moon. These Toshiba-EMI pressings of the first EMI mastering of Dark Side of the Moon sound quite a bit different from the earlier CBS/Sony pressings.

14. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

15. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

3 twins!!!

Australia first issue
    UK first issue
    and add the non TO U.S. First issue - Harvest Records, catalog number CDP 7 46001 2, black Harvest label, Made in Japan on label, CP35-3017 in the matrix to the list.

And I agree 100%. You can listen to 50 different pressings of the Dark Side Of The Moon CD and this mastering is it. Hands down!

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Redhat220 like this.
  16. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member

:goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie:
    Amen! When you consider the fact that the master tape was only 10 years old, when the tape copy that produced the first versions of Dark Side were pressed, you then realize that no matter how many times they remaster this album, the master tape will never be in that condition again. And like just about any classic album from the 70's, if the master was used for a first CD pressing it will always be the best almost by default. And of course it's a flat transfer so it's gonna sound the way it was recorded. And with Alan Parsons at the board, in this case great!
    By the way the first pressing has a DR 14 compared to a DR10 for the 2011 remaster. Another victim of the loudness wars yet people love it.:goodie:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  17. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Can you post DR info? That DR14 release is not on the DR Database. Every release of DSOTM listed is between 9 and 11.

18. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

He is probably looking at it without decoding the pre-emphasis.

Yost, mando_dan and Plan9 like this.
  19. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

There is some truth in that, but it's not a hard-and-fast rule. It depends how well the tapes were maintained, and how often they were used.

My copy of the original Japanese CD measures an album DR of 10, after de-emphasis is applied.

20. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'm not sure that those statements are universal. I've heard CDs made from the master tape that were inferior to ones not made from the master. It's what's done in the remastering process that makes it what it is. Mobile Fidelity LPs and gold CDs for instance. And flat transfers? Yes, they sound the way they were recorded. Does that make for a better product? Not always. Take The Beatles recent releases in mono. The CD releases wrere flat transfers, and sounded good, but to me they're a little flat, no pun intended. The vinyl mono remasters were given EQ based on making them sound like the original mono vinyl releases, with changes in playback equipment technology over the decades taken into account. The music on the mono vinyl comes to life and breathes, compared to the flat transfers.

My favorite DSOTM digital masterings are the SACD and the 80's UK Swindon versions. I also feel that SQ opinions are playback system dependent.

john lennonist, tmtomh and c-eling like this.
  21. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I could never understand how people here reference the different versions of DSOTM. In my own comparisons, I go by Vernon's database, and EAC values.

tmtomh likes this.
  22. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I go by EAR values.

:)

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

DR 10 is a victim of the Loudness wars is it? :laugh: I have the Black Triangle "Grail", MFSL, SACD, Sax remaster and others and they all sound very good to me. Not a dud... :goodie:

hotsoup and Ed Hughes like this.
  24. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Gotta agree, I have all of these also. Didn't like the 20th Ann. Edition though.

25. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

I haven't heard any that are inherently TERRIBLE but the first Japan is just warm and smooth as silk. Like buttah!