Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon - Best sounding CD (updated)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnyColourYouLike, Oct 21, 2011.

1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Again, I just listened to my non-TO CP-35 CDP Japan for US pressing. And it sounds wonderful. And I doubt it has PE.

PE outside of the TOC can be detected on a Windows machine with an older version of EAC. Search the forums and you'll find the link to download it.

Let's verify that the CP-35 Japan for US does not have the PE flag outside of the TOC!

c-eling likes this.
  2. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Versions of EAC later [as some erlier] than 95PB3 will not detect the PRE if in the subcode. 95PB3 is 12 or more years old now. In addition on most [not all] modern drives 95PB3 will not detect in the subcode and older dive is required. I have 2 drives [and old Plxtor and old TDK CD only drivers] in old PC that do and approx 10 other drives in other PC's that do not. not sure 95BB3 works with Windows 10 I've heard that it might not. I drop off after Windows 7 and went Linux [for most of my needs] - where of course PB3 wont work either :)

The non TO does have PRE it's been established as fact over the years and mine certainly does have it as I checked.

3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

95 Pre-Beta 3 works on win10. But yes only with some older drives. Out of three my TSSTcorp TS-H662A is the only one that will detect the tag in the SUB Q.
    @ricks where was the tag located for the non TO?

HiFi Guy 008 and ricks like this.
  4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Just a little update on The Dark Side mastering debate for my taste. I find myself playing the Sax (94) more often these days. It seems very balanced throughout, and smooth at the top end.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  5. ricks

ricks Senior Member

@ricks where was the tag located for the non TO?[/QUOTE]

Sub, same for Abbey Road.

c-eling likes this.
  6. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Today I bought a mint 1994 Doug Sax remastered DSOTM. It’s the EMI pressing. I’m sure I won’t be disappointed as the Doug Sax remaster is highly regarded on this forum it seems.

7. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

I don't think any of them are TERRIBLE, but personally nothing will ever beat the CP35. Before I even knew there was such a thing, I had a Japan for U.S. copy that I bought used decades ago and could never let go of it because there was just something about the way it sounded that I loved. Once I started reading about it here, what I heard was confirmed. I'll never let go of it. :D

Teto7Totoro and CrazyCatz like this.
  8. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Yeah, I checked that one out but it literally would have cost me 15 times more than the Doug Sax remaster. I chose the latter and my wallet is happy:)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    mando_dan, shirtandtie and CrazyCatz like this.
  9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

You did well.......the Sax is a great sounding disc, and can be had for cheap. I bought mine in the mid 90's, and still play it with consistency.

bherbert likes this.
  10. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Thanks for the positive feedback :)

Dr. Funk likes this.
  11. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I have this one too. I even remember when the 1st remaster came out, and in those days, I'd get rid of the original and keep the remaster (because I didn't know anything), I got out the Jpn for US, and I'm looking at it, and I'm hefting it in my hand, and I couldn't let it go either. I still have it, and it's the best sounding one!

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  12. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Exactly! Something said keep it even though I knew nothing about brickwalling etc. To me, that was testament to the warmth of all those early Japanese mastered discs and so many other titles have proven that fact over and over again since.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  13. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

What is the absolutely best mastering without Pre-Emph ?

14. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Doug Sax remastered this album in Sep of 1992, not 1994. Unless he did it twice in 2 years!

15. c-eling

I have no best, but I enjoy the US Sax 1993 as well. His mastering can be found on later manufacture's also. Pick your country of interest
    The Pink Floyd Discographies Page

Whistle likes this.
  16. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

Thanks.

17. HiFi Guy 008

Apologies if I've asked this one before (and I'm sure it's been answered but I couldn't find that):
    Does the Japan for US have the PE flag in the TOC?

It doesn't, right?

So, I'd have to do an XLD extract and edit the cue sheet, and burn a new one using that cue sheet?

18. c-eling

Japan for US TO (Toshiba)- the tag is located in the SUBQ channel.

19. HiFi Guy 008

This means the cd player will miss it?

Nevermind, just did a search and learned that it wont.
    Baffling, because it sounds great the way it is.

Maybe it actually doesn't have PE, and the flag is false?
    Has anyone listened to this changing the cue sheet and compared with the original cd?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The Japan black face Harvest (with black triangle mastering) is not an hideously expensive disc. Of course, I'm not buying from South Africa, and that can make acquiring discs more difficult.

bherbert likes this.
  21. c-eling

If you are using your Oppo, it won't detect the tag. Only if it's located in table of contents

ricks and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  22. HiFi Guy 008

Is there a cd player that will? I thought not!

It'll be interesting to burn a disc with the edited CUE sheet.
    I'm skeptical there'll be any difference, as I've never read of someone doing this.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Almost all CD players do.

Why wouldn’t it make a difference?

24. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I thought there were add ins to Foobar that help out with pre-emphasis. Could be off base.

To me that are many good masters of this album. I tend to use more current, hi res mixes.

c-eling likes this.
  25. c-eling

Onkyo 7030 with the wolfson DAC being a current player. + many older units. I've never tried with a cue sheet, when ripping I just use foobar using Pre EQ plugin.
    I verified the tag being located in the SUBQ channel via an old pre beta EAC. Also by switching between my digital out and analog out on my Onkyo SP800. It definitely has pre-emphasis.