Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon - Best sounding CD (updated)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnyColourYouLike, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Joe P.

Joe P. Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly. I would add 'lively' and '3D' to that :)

This 2011-remaster (from the Discovery Box) is the best sounding for me (and my system).

Totally beats the Mobile Fidelity as well for me. (gray and flat sound).

I have had the Discovery box for a long time, saw the XX-remaster for pennies a few days ago. And, oh well, gave it a shot.. But nowhere in the league of the '2011'. So much life in that one! :)

bherbert likes this.
  2. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

For digital, I prefer the SACD layer of my SACD, as well as the one from the 'Shine On' box (Doug Sax 20th AV?)

Both are better than my early 80s Capitol LP, which is super clean, but thin and 2D (early digital cut?)

progrocker likes this.
  3. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Hi c-eling, did you de-emphasize the above resulting with 11/10/9/9/11/10/12/11/10

EAC peaks (Before);
    39.9 / 43.3 / 70.1 / 55.2 / 72.3 / 44.5 / 53.9 / 54.6 / 61.2

[​IMG]

If not I may require sleep and lots of it :)

c-eling and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Thanks for this. Smarty pants. Now being an Oppo 105 owner, how do I correct this?
    The only way I know of is to rip, and edit the CUE sheet.
    Or use iTunes?

5. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

There seem to be differing values resulting from the various techniques / solutions applied,
    probably with each player manufacturer also having a unique signature dependent on an engineer’ preference.

It seems only the pre-emphasis values can be compared without any available unified standard , as already mentioned on the forums.

Copy protection?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Crap, sorry about that, I did it with this one also, I have a habit of automatically ripping with foobar, then doing a DR scan later on.
    Yes your above is correct.

Mbe likes this.
  7. Squad 701

Squad 701 Forum Resident

Coincidentally I too also backed up my JPN 1984 Harvest 27B1 to HDD yesterday using the 'Audio Repair' application from the makers of 'MusicScope' for De-Emphasis.

I'm not too sure how their algorithm works, but I've been having fairly decent results after using it for the last few months.

here are the De-Emph results, you'll notice one or two tracks are one-up on the report above which is from FooBar I think (?)

Pre-Emph flag was in the SubQ, and only recognised on old version of EAC after a TOC manual check, latest version of EAC says 'NO Pre-Emphasis'

foobar2000 1.3.17 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2018-04-05 13:27:55

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Pink Floyd / The Dark Side Of The Moon (1984 Japan Harvest DP 7 46001 2)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR11 -8.63 dB -22.49 dB 3:57 01-Speak To Me - Breathe (In The Air)
    DR10 -8.29 dB -23.31 dB 3:32 02-On The Run
    DR9 -8.03 dB -20.46 dB 7:05 03-Time
    DR9 -7.41 dB -21.86 dB 4:47 04-The Great Gig In The Sky
    DR12 -4.79 dB -19.90 dB 6:24 05-Money
    DR10 -8.24 dB -22.37 dB 7:49 06-Us And Them
    DR12 -5.88 dB -19.65 dB 3:26 07-Any Colour You Like
    DR11 -6.80 dB -22.75 dB 3:50 08-Brain Damage
    DR10 -5.40 dB -19.00 dB 2:07 09-Eclipse

Number of tracks: 9
    Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 662 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Crimson Witch, Mbe and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  8. winders

winders Music Lover

I am not 100% sure what you are saying does not have a pre-emphasis flag detector. But, the macOS does have a command line utility that will tell you if the TOC pre-emphasis flag is set. from the command line you would type:

drutil toc

This is what is returned by that command when disc 1 of the black faced Canadian release of "The Wall" is in my CD drive:

Code:
    scott@iMac:~$ drutil toc

Vendor   Product           Rev
     HL-DT-ST BD-RE  WH16NS40   1.02

First session:             1
        Last session:              1
        First track:               1
        Disc type:                 0 (CD-DA, or CD-ROM with first track in Mode 1)
        Last track:                13
        Lead-out:                  39:20.60
        Session  1, Track  1:      00:02.00  2ch audio, with pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited
        Session  1, Track  2:      03:21.07  2ch audio, with pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited
        Session  1, Track  3:      05:50.52  2ch audio, with pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited
        Session  1, Track  4:      09:01.27  2ch audio, with pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited
        Session  1, Track  5:      10:52.62  2ch audio, with pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited
        Session  1, Track  6:      14:53.37  2ch audio, with pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited
        Session  1, Track  7:      20:27.55  2ch audio, with pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited
        Session  1, Track  8:      23:16.65  2ch audio, with pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited
        Session  1, Track  9:      25:24.45  2ch audio, with pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited
        Session  1, Track 10:      28:57.22  2ch audio, with pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited
        Session  1, Track 11:      32:32.25  2ch audio, with pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited
        Session  1, Track 12:      36:48.27  2ch audio, with pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited
        Session  1, Track 13:      38:06.07  2ch audio, with pre-emphasis, digital copy prohibited

9. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

One of the US Capitol editions, if all level matching editions are the same;
    EAC;
    46.8 / 48.2 / 49.3 / 51 / 72.5 / 63.3 / 67.1 / 58.8 / 62.7
    DR;
    12 / 11 / 10 / 10 / 12 / 10 / 11 / 11 / 10

On this edition although very nice overall it does contain level (volume) anomalies during Speak to Me / Breathe
    and more noticeably during Us and Them 'forward he cried from the rear and the front rank died',
    but still for me a very listenable addition to the variants I have, everyone of which has an audible glitch at approximately 1.50 mins
    though this may be present on all Vinyl editions also?

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

Must be an earlier US Mbe.
    I only have three mastering's for this title no LP's of it.
    What song for the 1:50?

Mbe likes this.
  11. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

The position can vary by as much as 6 seconds on cd (Vinyl?), it is at 1.50 mins from the beginning of the cd (Speak to Me / Breathe) on the US Capitol mentioned above.

Japan – UK at 1.51 mins
    UK – UK at 1.54 mins
    Doug Sax – UK at 1.56 mins
    On the 2011 experience edition Breathe has an indexed track marker so it occurs 46 seconds into T2

It occurs between 7 - 8 seconds in the sample taken from a mid+ 80’s UK edition, though perhaps more apparent in context as a whole rather than within a short sample.

Sample 01 – Duration 12 seconds;
    Dropbox - Sample 01.WAV

Squad 701, albertop and c-eling like this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What is the glitch? I don't hear anything in particular between 0:07 and 0:08.

At the downbeat at 0:09.1 it seems there's a hair less high end; it also appears there may be an edit there. Is that what you're talking about?

13. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Not sure how I can be more specific as to the placement (if not heard) other than try to display the area of event in an image of the sample waveform,
    I hear it as a double pulse (ping - pong).

[​IMG]

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The only thing I hear there is a bass drum hit on the upbeat.

15. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Are you listening with headphones?

16. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

To hear the glitch = No

To then investigate :) further and hear as a double event = Yes

Finale: Sample with a slightly longer duration (36s) from the Doug Sax UK cd;
    Dropbox - DS Longer Sample.WAV

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's still unclear to me what "glitch" you're referring to.

Mbe likes this.
  18. c-eling

Thanks for the samples Mbe, I as well am failing picking out any glitches.
    (which is a good thing) :laugh:

Mbe likes this.
  19. telepicker97

I wound up with the 2CD 'Immersion' version; this is also the 2011 Guthrie remaster?

I've only played the live CD from the set :hide:

20. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Cd6 in the immersion set is wonderful and a must for any fan of this album

Gary

anth67 likes this.
  21. telepicker97

Does anyone know if the Immersion/Experience Editions contain the 2011 Guthrie remaster?

22. telepicker97

Does anyone know if the Immersion/Experience Editions contain the 2011 Guthrie remaster?

23. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Original Dark Side of the Moon mix remastered by James Guthrie and Joel Plante at das boot recording, 2011.

telepicker97 likes this.
  24. telepicker97

Thank you.

25. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I must have tin ears. I think quite a few masterings of DSOTM are good. I lean to the hi res versions from 2011.