Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon - Best sounding CD (updated)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnyColourYouLike, Oct 21, 2011.

1. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Does the 20th Anniversary cd have the same mastering as what this poll calls "1992 Remaster"?

2. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

^ I think so yeah.

From: http://www.pinkfloydarchives.com/Articles/DSOTMCDM.htm
    "9) Mastering Number 9 – EMI 20th anniversary mastering – EMI revision level 2

Track Peak Levels: 67.9 / 69.1 / 76.9 / 75 / 96.8 / 69.6 / 89.3 / 75.7 / 82.5

In 1993, on the twentieth anniversary of the original release of Dark Side of the Moon, a new mastering of the album was done for CD release by Doug Sax. This new mastering was first issued in a special black box with five cards inside. The new remastered CDs also were given a new look, with a prism etched into the CD label."

The Shine On boxset version is the one that is different and came out around the same time if I remember correctly.

3. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

I have no idea what the Harvest "Blackface" is so I went with 'Other'. I have the UK 80s CD. Sounds good to me. Mind you, I like the sound of the recent remaster especially as the sound effects are not buried as much in the mix.

4. old school

old school Senior Member

For a new remaster the 2011 sounds very good. But I'm surprised it's winning the best sounding is it that good?

5. nian82

nian82 Forum Resident

The US and UK shine on Box sets DSOTM have different masterings. Only US has the Doug Sax mastering.

QQQ likes this.
  6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It is good, but I haven't compared it yet to the non-TO Japanese black-triangle disc, which I like very much.

7. old school

old school Senior Member

What makes that black-triangle so good? Who mastered it and what year did it come out?

8. nian82

nian82 Forum Resident

2011 is good, but 1992 is better IMO. Remember that the doug sax mastering was never released in europe, that might influence the voting.

QQQ likes this.
  9. old school

old school Senior Member

I'm confused Doug Sax did the 1992? I thought he did the 1994?

10. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Yeah, Sax did the '92. I don't know about a '94.

11. old school

old school Senior Member

What is the difference between the 1992 Doug Sax and the 1994? Can someone set me straight.

12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The 92 is from the Shine on Box Set, and the 94 is the general release. It's one mastering.

13. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

It's the only one that comes fairly close to the original UK vinyl...Which is the absolute best.

Dave likes this.
  14. old school

old school Senior Member

Thank You that is what I thought but was not sure. Can you help on this what is the difference to the Doug Sax 94 remaster and the black triangle Japanese? Is it the same remaster?

15. old school

old school Senior Member

Who mastered it?

16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Those are different masterings.

17. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I should add (or subtract) that the Black Triangle CD (or non TO Black Face Harvest) has a very vinyl like sound in general, but to be blunt it doesn't hold a candle to the UK A3 // B3 vinyl pressing. In fact I like all the early vinyl pressings (even the MFSL) better than these CD's (Which are both the same)...But, like I said, it's the only one that holds up very well to the earlier vinyls. (Except the A3 // B3 :) ) If I were trapped on a desert island and only had access to this CD, I would be very happy. :)

Sorry I don't know who did the mastering on the CD or vinyl.

If anyone want's to hear a brighter (similar) presentation of the Black Triangle/Black Face Harvest, look no further than the later Silver Face Harvest... I'm 99% sure this should have been released with pre-emphasis flags. (IE, the CD player should have been instructed to de-emphasis this CD). This CD was WAY off the chart too bright. So I ripped it and added the flags. When I played it back with the flags inserted, it sounded much better...But still not as good as the 'blacks', of course. :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  18. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I have not heard them all, but from what I have heard, I like the Sax and the MFSL.

L5730 likes this.
  19. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

BTW, to avoid any confusion, my MFSL comment above was pertaining to the vinyl, not the CD.

20. Manelus

Manelus Forum Resident

Do you know if Doug Sax did the mastering for all discs in the Shine on box?

21. TStewart422

TStewart422 Forum Resident

I like the black triangle best, but every version brings something different to the table. You can't go wrong with any pressing. It's an extremely well-recorded and produced album and has always been treated with delicate hands in mastering. Floyd fans are lucky.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Doug Sax did the shine on remasters, but I seem to remember a thread on here where it may have been determined that he redid some of them for general release.

But see here: http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DUSCDPF.htm for the mastering done on all of the Pink Floyd CDs:

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  23. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Black triangle all the way!

Dave likes this.
  24. nian82

nian82 Forum Resident

US box is all Sax. European version is a mixed bag.

25. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

I recall our host saying somewhere on this forum that MFSL did not play with EQ on their early releases.

Any speculations that the MFSL DSOTM has smiley-face EQ are just that, speculations. Maybe that's how the master tape is.

Sheik Yerbouti likes this.